I am SO Confused

Susiekay
on 12/17/13 4:10 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I use Unjury Protein and have since my RYN Surgery in April of 2012.  They (unjury) tells me I need to drink 3-4 servings a day to loose weight, BUT I feel like I am getting a good bit of protein in my food....WHAT TO DO?????  I'm afraid IF I do 3-4 servings of a protein supplement that would just be EXTRA calories........I am at my doctors goal weight for me, but I would like to go lower maybe 135-140.  I've been at this weight 149 for 4 months or longer. 

My day ususally consists of:

warm lemon water in the morning

protien coffee

protien snack (today it was 1/2 cup of cottage cheese w/mixed fruit (no sugar added)

lunch is a salad w/chicken or some type of protien

I drink 2-3 hot green teas with added cinnamin and ginger and plenty of water through out the day

dinner is protien and veggie IF i do a carb it is Whole Wheat

SOULD I ADD A PROTIEN SUPPPLEMENT OR 2????????????

Thanks

Tracy D.
on 12/17/13 4:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Of course Unjury tells you to do 3-4 servings a day - the more you use, the more you have to buy!   Now, having said that, I had VSG and use Unjury too.  Love it because it's tasty and a  high-quality protein supplement.  I'm only 7 months out and use 1 shake per day in the morning.   The rest of my protein comes from real food.  

What does your doctor's office or NUT suggest?  I would be surprised if they suggested 2 or more shakes a day for someone who is almost 2 years post-op.  If you're getting 80-100 grams of protein a day I would think you'd be sitting pretty well from a nutrient perspective.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Ladytazz
on 12/17/13 5:39 am

I was going to say the same thing.  The more you use the more you buy.  Shakes are a supplement, not to replace solid food.  I use shakes because I cannot eat that much solid protein but I prefer to chew my protein personally.

Your eating looks fine, maybe a little on the low side.  I would personally ditch the whole wheat.  I am gluten free and that seems to help me physically and mentally beat my carb cravings.  One or two shakes a day if you need to to make your protein goal (mine is 100 grams a day, almost impossible just with food for me).

You might add a protein forward breakfast and and maybe another protein snack.  I don't know how many calories you are getting in daily but it doesn't look like a lot and the last thing you want to do is get your body used to maintaining on a low amount of calories.  You want to eat small, protein forward meals and snacks every few hours to keep your metabolism rolling along.

I know it sounds counter intuitive to eat more when you want to loss weight but it's all about eating right.  Boost your intake and see if that doesn't shake things up.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

A. Kondrlik
on 12/17/13 7:00 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Do you use My fitness pal to record and track  your protein?  That has really helped me.  I personally have a protein goal of 75 Grams daily.  Some folks do choose or are advised by their nutritionist to eat more than that.  I haven't used protein shakes in a while, though I do really like them  I want to get all the nutrients that are available from real food.  Do you have a protein goal from your nutritionist?  I personally wouldn't advise going under 75 daily (but that is just my opinion) There is nothing wrong with protein shakes, but as the others have said  Unjury is trying to make money.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Price S.
on 12/17/13 9:47 am - Mills River, NC

what do your labs say?  I know I need to have over 100g, more like 130g a day to keep my level at the bottom of the normal range.  I do 1.5 scoops morning and evening, and 1/2 scoop a time or two during the day.  So maybe 4 scoops total a day.  My Dr  and Nut are fine with that.  I have protein and greens basically for all 3 meals so I am eating a good bit of protein too.

It does look like you are eating a little low.  I would try adding another suppliment and seeing what happens.  You may start losing again.  Maybe not.  I do know that I lost best with 150g protein, 30net carbs a day. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 12/18/13 3:53 am - Butler, PA

I won't deny it....I believe in Whey Protein Drinks.  I don't don't worry about the calories in my Protein drinks. At 5 years out I average around 1300 calories and about 400 of those calories are from my Protein drinks.  I can't imagine eating enough food to cover the Protein I'm getting.

Are you in the "normal" range at 149 (high or low)?  I continued to lose until a few months after my 2nd surgiversary.   If you aren't maintaining in the "normal" range and you think you are just in a stall I would increase your Protein (through drinks) for 3 or 4 days and then drop down to what you normally take in.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

TurnThePage
on 12/18/13 4:09 am

You might need that many shakes IF you were not getting protein from other sources, but you are. Your protein requirement is the key here.  If your requirement is 60g a day like many people, track your food intake to determine how much you get from regular food. Then drink enough shakes to make up the difference in total protein. Use whatever protein standard your doctor requires. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 416 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 476 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views