Whats the Deal with Caffine?

Susiekay
on 1/21/14 4:13 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I found a tea that I actually LOVE, but now my Dr. tells me I'm getting too much caffine.  I drink coffee 3 times a day with my protein, so I CAN change to decaf...NO Problem, BUT the tea that I'm LOVING is made with apple water (Walmart brand, its like crystal light 5 cals per serving) I add Sugar Free Carmel Syurp, a little cinnamin and a Black tea tag, (Bigelow brand Vanilla).  I am in love with this tea it is SO Good.  I drink it hot at least 3 times a day.  I "THOUGHT" I was doing so good....but now my Dr tells me the caffine in the tea is causing a negative fluid build up.  So what I understood him to say is, if I drink a 10 oz caffine tea instead of adding 10 oz of fuid I am taking AWAY 10 oz of fluid.......AM I understanding him right????????  Why is everything so GOOD so BAD?????  I have tried the herbal teas they are ok, but nothing as good as my vanilla black tea.....Does anyone have any information on caffine and what I can do to be able to still drink my tea.  I usually have about 3-4 per day.  It helps me not want to eat and its SO relaxing.....There is nothing better than to sit down with my delicious hot tea, which btw has 5 calories........How can that be bad??????

Thank you,

Ladytazz
on 1/21/14 4:43 am

It seems  the jury is still out.  Some surgeons say that caffeine is a diuretic and you need to avoid/cut back and compensate with more water.  Others say it doesn't act that way.  I avoided caffeine for the first year and gradually added it back and now I drink it like I used to.  Sometimes 2 or three times a day.  I am nursing my morning cup right now.  All I can say is my experience is that it doesn't make a difference.  I don't count my coffee as part of the 100 oz of fluids I am for daily but even days when I don't have coffee I pee all the time.  That is what happens when you drink a gallon of water a day.

Of course the disclaimer is to follow what your doctor says.  Unless they seem clueless, then smile and nod and do what works for you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Jody ***
on 1/21/14 4:48 am, edited 1/21/14 4:50 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I've read a study, not too long ago, that said the caffeinated drinks CAN be counted towards your daily fluid intake without being negative.  Of course I don't have access to it...

I've always been a HUGE coffee drinker.  I did do the decaf for the first few  years, then switched back to my caffeinated.  I also drink quite a bit of black tea, but drink the decaf - I just like it better. 

But I've always counted my tea/coffee into my fluids.  If I didn't I wouldn't have drank anything, and I'm not dehydrated.

I know this is another one of those 'confusing' issues/topics.  If you feel fine and aren't dehydrated... then I see no harm/no foul.  

I think getting your protein in via this method, since you love it so much, is more important than worrying about the caffeine.  

Just my 2 cents worth... 

ETA:  I had to laugh at LadyTazz's disclaimer... as I was going to put that in my post too, but didn't.  I can't tell you how many times I've just nodded said "uh huh" and did what was working for me....

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Price S.
on 1/21/14 9:51 am - Mills River, NC

3 yrs out and I am still basically decaf.  I brew my decaf coffee in the morning and may have a cup of instant later in the day.  I do love herbal teas and the vanilla honey camimeal (sp) is one you might want to try.  It is very good.  I will drink caf when I am staying with someone and that is what they have and when I am traveling and need to stay awake but otherwise, I don't miss the caffeine.  Health wise ?????  You read both good and bad.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MacMadame
on 1/22/14 3:38 am - Northern, CA

The jury is not out. The problem is that people who should know better keep giving old advice based on bad research. Caffeine does NOT dehydrate you. This has been shown in study after study where they looked at hydration levels over a 24 hour period or longer.

There was some research done a million years ago that looked at what happened immediately after people ingested caffeine. Caffeine makes you pee. Just like running the tap makes you have the urge to go to the bathroom. So people saw that and they ASSUMED that meant it made you pee more fluid. But it doesn't. It just makes you empty out what is in your bladder.  But the amount of fluid isn't any greater than if you hadn't ingested caffeine. You just pee more often.

Basically, it's like an on-switch for your bladder.

http://beverageinstitute.org/us/expert/laying-the-caffeine-d ehydration-myth-to-rest/

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

ur5girls
on 1/22/14 4:27 am

I love it!! I agree with the smile, nod, and then do what works best for you! Honestly I do not think there will every be a 100% correct answer that all doctors agree on. Preaching negatives about caffeine has been around forever and for everyone, not just WLS  people.  I say that if it does not cause any GI distress, heartburn or sleepless nights that in moderation you will be fine. I certainly do not think it makes any difference at all in regard to weight loss success or failure. My doctors main concern was making sure you are adequately hydrated and that is more of an issue in the summer months  as a general rule. I am  2 months out and I also have a tea that I love that has caffeine in it and it just is what it is! 

MajorMom
on 1/22/14 7:45 am - VA

You are doing good, there isn't a problem with caffeine. Hang tough.  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

seaview
on 1/24/14 10:53 pm

Sitting her with my morning coffee three years out and enjoying the posts...yeah caffeine rules...coffee...tea...as long as your eyeballs don't pop out due to overindulgence...LOL

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/14 11:38 pm

I think if it doesn't bother your belly I wouldn't worry about it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 417 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 477 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views