Last 10 lbs

Susiekay
on 9/15/15 10:11 am
RNY on 04/24/12

Why is the last 10 lbs so difficult?  I can not seem to get below 154... I am 3.5 years out.  I gained 8 lbs of bounce back but have since lost that, which I am very proud of.  My lowest weight was 148 (for a minute) then I maintained at 154 for 3 years.  I so want to get to 145 but no matter what I do my body stops at 154.  I'm thinking of doing a protein shake for Breakfast and lunch and grilled chicken and veggie for dinner.  Any thoughts????  I added 2 protein shakes to try to shake things up but so far its not working... On most days I get 100 grams of protein, very, very little carbs.  Plenty of water...Working out 1.5 hours 3 days a week.  (usually burning 500 cals a workout).  Calories are around 800-1000 per day.  

Kay

boxtop2006
on 9/15/15 11:42 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Susiekay,

Congrats on the weight loss you have had and have maintained.  I've heard learning maintanance isn't easy so be proud of what you have accomplished!  So basically, I would say your body has gotten use to what you are doing.  If you've been doing the same exercise routine/amount of time and exhertion level maybe you could switch it up a little do an hour work out one day with more exhertion and then the other two days do a longer workout at the exhertion level you're use to.  Also, I've heard two different things about calories, some folks are strick on lowering the calories and others say if you up the calories that might help.  I am only a little under 6 months out so I'm not sure what really works better, I only consume between 600-750 calories as a newbie.  If you don't track what you eat, maybe you could start and that might give you some insight on what's going on or where you might be able to shift things a little.  Also, I believe most folks who are much further out usually take in more portein a day, but I'm sure a vet will speak up and give much better advise than I could. 

Here's something I stole from JuniperBerry and I'm sure it isn't anything new to you but just incase.....we burn just by living life, normally. Mathematically, it is generally about 10x our body weight. So for me at 150lbs today, I burn 1500 just by breathing, blinking and walking around. Compare that to a person who is 300lbs. They are naturally burning 3000 calories. After surgery both the person who is 150lbs and the person who is 300lbs are eating 600ish calories, in order to get in the right amount of protein. To lose a pound, we have to create a deficit of 3500 calories. So naturally, the deficit comes much faster to the person at the higher weight, to start. To lose at that same rate I'd have to reduce my calories to a point that it would be impossible to get in proper nutrition/protein.

Good Luck and Once again congrats on your weight loss!!  :D

Melissa

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Price S.
on 9/17/15 8:44 am - Mills River, NC

I've read disputes lately on the 3500 calories in a pound rule.  The current wisdom is that it is much greater than that and I believe it.  When we were bigger, cutting 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week was pretty easy.  Now it is impossible.  If you cut from 1000 to 500 you go into starvation mode and your body holds on to everything. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

boxtop2006
on 9/17/15 11:08 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Price,

This is why I said a VET would come on and have much better advice! :)  Thank You for squaring me away AGAIN!. Hope you have a blessed rest of the week.

Melissa

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Roz !!!!
on 9/15/15 8:59 pm - Butler, PA

Are you using Whey Protein for your shakes? Using milk or fruit in them? You might want to increase your calories.  During the losing stage I drank about 120g of Protein drinks and ate a lot of protein.  Maybe you aren't getting enough food in.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Susiekay
on 9/16/15 7:41 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I am using premium ready make shakes with 30 grams of Protein and also Unjury in my coffee with 2 TBSP half and half.  NO Fruit, no dairy other than an occasional light and fit greek yogurt or some cottage cheese.  My body is just being stubborn.  Ha.  But I'm going to keep at it.  Maybe it will break through.  I probably should increase my calories.  Yesterday I got in just barely 1,000 calories.  

Price S.
on 9/17/15 8:46 am - Mills River, NC

I would go up to 1200 for a few days and see if that helps.  You may be in starvation mode and just not getting enough.  1200 for maintainance is a minimum.  Add more protein and see what happens.  I was around 130-150 the last of my losing phase, around 100 at least now.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 9/18/15 7:50 am - Butler, PA

How's it going Susiekay?  Did you try increasing your calories with Protein foods?  I've found that having a Protein food every couple of hours helps me maintain so I'm guessing it should help during the losing stage too.  

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Susiekay
on 9/18/15 7:59 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I did increase my calories for one day, but yesterday I was busy and had alot going on, so I was way under my calories.  I ate 920 but I worked out and burned 496 of those.  But on a good note, I was down 1 lb this morning. 

Thanks for checking on me Roz!  

carestock
on 9/16/15 2:31 pm

I am 5.5 months out of surgery and stuck at 135 lbs my goal weight is 125 lbs. The last 10 is so hard! It's been a fun process.

My hair has been falling out steady and Vit A is low too but I really don't care about that so much as I want to hit my goal weight.

My tailbone hurts sooooo much even tho I sit on soft things and take breaks, it feels bruised. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 416 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views