Becks Diet Solution

Groups » Becks Diet Solution » Discussion » Practice Hunger Tol...

Practice Hunger Tolerance

Melva
on 3/11/10 8:43 pm - Gilbert, AZ
"When people who struggle with dieting get hungry, they often feel hunger pangs intensely. The sensations can feel like an emergency. All their attention gets focused on how uncomfortable they feel - and when and where they can get food. They begin to think they won't be able to stand feeling that way."

The point of the exercise is to show yourself that you can tolerate hunger. Hunger is not an emergency, you don't have to eat just because you're hungry. Just because you want to eat doesn't mean that you should. So instead of getting sucked into that cycle of stressing because you're hungry, when you feel hungry but it's not time for a meal or snack you can say to yourself, "It's no big deal. I wish I could eat now, but it's OK I'll wait." Hunger comes and goes. As you turn your attention to other things, the hunger will diminish.
These excerpt's are from BDS...

Melva

sportsmom2dsg
on 3/11/10 11:47 pm - TN
I still don't have hunger since surgery.   Before surgery,  I was on medication for Diabetes (not anymore, woohoo).    If I didn't eat at regular intervals, my blood sugar would crash and I would get sick.  I knew the feeling and always tried to stop it.   Sometimes, though, I think I used it as an excuse to eat.    If I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat for a while, I would get panicky.   

My blood sugar levels are very stable now, and truthfully, I could not eat all day and it would not make me sick.   I don't do this, because that makes it hard to meet my protein requirements.   However, I noticed that I still panicky if I am not going to be able to eat for a while.  I plan to revisit this some more on my second time around.   I will be wrapping up my first time early next week.  

--April
Molly S.
on 3/12/10 12:54 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks.  I really need to work on just letting myself get hungry Melva.  I love these excerpts that you post daily..

HW 611  Pre-opW 580   LW 302  GW 238         

Melva
on 3/12/10 1:00 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thanx, Luv yours too...Melva