Fall 2011 Super Secret Clubhouse!

Groups » Fall 2011 Super Secr... » Discussion » preop full liquid d...

preop full liquid diet

Mandy R.
on 10/25/11 8:27 am - Callahan, FL
I am on day 2 on my full liquid diet.  I'm doing good, but I have a terrible headache.  I emailed my NUT and she said it's probably from not getting in enough fluids, so I've tried really hard today.  Anyone have any tips ?

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Meridon
on 10/25/11 10:54 am - Canada

your NUT is probably right... I had to do a two week liquid optifast diet before my surgery... first week.. had incredible headaches... increased liquid.. and they eased.   oh... and try and get more rest....  (if you can)....

flavour your water... make your liquids more enticing ...if possible...
Its like our bodies are doing a detox of carbs and "stuff" 

By day 5.. they had pretty much dissapeared....

it will be hard...  I am not going to sugar coat it..(pardon the pun)..tee hee..

You can do it...  and there are tons of people on these boards that are 100 percent behind you...cheering you to the finish line...  (trying not to sound corny...)

Apple-Jax
on 10/25/11 5:55 pm
On October 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM Pacific Time, Meridon wrote:

your NUT is probably right... I had to do a two week liquid optifast diet before my surgery... first week.. had incredible headaches... increased liquid.. and they eased.   oh... and try and get more rest....  (if you can)....

flavour your water... make your liquids more enticing ...if possible...
Its like our bodies are doing a detox of carbs and "stuff" 

By day 5.. they had pretty much dissapeared....

it will be hard...  I am not going to sugar coat it..(pardon the pun)..tee hee..

You can do it...  and there are tons of people on these boards that are 100 percent behind you...cheering you to the finish line...  (trying not to sound corny...)

HEAR! HEAR!
Apple-Jax
on 10/25/11 6:20 pm
Would love some feedback about these diets!  it will be nice for those who are on or will be on in the future!!

What kind of a diet?
~~~a 4 weeks skim milk diet

What side effects if any? 
~~~ it was giving me low blood sugar/dizziness/nausea.  The dr ok'd add protein powder in low amounts,  It has helped,  Also the sugra free coffee syrups were making me sick, sugar alcohols dont agree with me!!

How much weight loss? 
~~~18 so far, yes i cheated a little

Love it/Hate it? 
~~~Both, It is super tough mentally, having no variety does something to your brain and makes you feel kind of deprived, head hunger was awful!!  Had trouble even grocery shopping for family.  My husband has generously been doing all the cooking and even making my son's lunches so i can focus on me and not have to look at food!  on the other hand there is a certain freedom in just drinking milk. I also had a mini breakdown and learned alot about myself and what causes me to eat.  it was super enlightening and i am hoping will make after surgery easier!

Have you learned anything from it?
~~~I eat at certain times of day for now reason, in front of computer, out of boredom or nerves.  Cravings are for the most part mental and when i think i can't stand it any longer and have to have food, I drink milk and feel full,  i learned that i can be satisfied with anything that nourishes my body.

Do you recommend it? 
~~~Oddly yes, with dr supervision

How have you coped?
 ~~~I think i went through a grieveing process with food, it was like a breakup. denyed i needed preop diet because i thought i knew everything about dieting. tried to bargain with my eating and straddle the fence.  accpeted it felt good about it at first because i was doing the right things.  got angry and depressed had a mini hissyfit.  now i have accepted and embraced it and dug in to get through it. 

my advice meditate, listen to music, do whatever it takes to get through it.  "cheating" is a slippery slope and leads to alot of guilt and lost time.  take advantage now because the lower your preop weight the lower your ending number, believe it or not at this high of a weight it is easier to lose weight than after you lsoe 100 pounds! enlist your family and friends by asking them to cook, or do activites that arent food related.  finally love yourself enough to choose yourself over food!

Support Group for Fall 2011 WLS! Please come and join!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Fall_2011_WLS/

mommaove3
on 10/26/11 12:39 am
What kind of diet?
        Mine is called a liquid diet but i dont agree,lol
        I am required to drink 4 protein shakes-2 with skim milk 2 with water
        6 food choices a day(sugar free pudding, v8 juice, unsweetened applesauce, oatmeal)
        unlimited veggies

What side effect if any?
       So far just bloating and feeling so stuffed

How much weight loss?
        Im only on day 3 but lost 2 lbs so far

Love it or hate it?
       I wouldnt say i love it but i dont hate it.  Its not that bad for me.  I just dont like having to      force myself to eat when im not hungry.  But 12 more days and it will all be worth it.

Have i learned anything from it?
      I have learned my body does not need all that food I was eating.  I am eating 3 cups of protein shake and  4-1/2 cups of food and im pushing it at that.  Crazy how things change.

Do you recommend it?
       Yes i think its a good way to get ready for life after surgery

How have you coped?
       I struggled the first 2 days with feeling like i would never get in all they want me too.  Then i just tried to change things up a lil to help me meet the requirements.  I listen to music it calms me and makes me feel good.  I knew this first week would be a lil hard, of coarse i thought it would be hard because i would be hungry. Considering it was my sons bday on tuesday so i had to bake cookies for his class.  Today is my childrens fall festival at school so i had to bake cupcakes for the class.  So needless to say i was around alot of food i would have normally sampled,lol!  I found it so hard out of habit not to eat things.  I almost licked my finger after icing them and i was mid swing to the mouth and was like omg dont lick it,lol!  Retraining the mind.  I think its the habit that is the hardest part.  When i would make my kids lunch i would sample theres and stuff like that and now i have to remember you cant eat that.  Let them eat all the lunch and if they dont fini**** , its ok to toss the left over you dont need to be the garbage disposle.  So for me it is just retraining my mind on what i need to eat not what is out.  But so far im just chugging along and cant believe my surgery is only 12 days away! 
Hope everyone has a great day! 
Alicia

Lynn Brown
on 10/30/11 6:17 am
Mandy R.
on 10/26/11 7:26 am - Callahan, FL
What kind of a diet?
~~~2 week liquid diet
3 protein shakes/day, 3 snacks (SF pudding/jello/popsicles, broth/cream of ..... soups) totaling 920 calories, 85 gm carbs, 20 gm fat, 100 gm protein
64 oz of liquid (water, crystal light, propel zero, powerade zero. G2)
~~~ headache/dizziness/nausea

How much weight loss? 
~~~5 lbs in 3 day :)

Love it/Hate it? 
I agree with Apple-Jax, couldn't have said it better :)
~~~Both, It is super tough mentally, having no variety does something to your brain and makes you feel kind of deprived, head hunger was awful!!  Had trouble even grocery shopping for family.  My husband has generously been doing all the cooking and even making my son's lunches so i can focus on me and not have to look at food!

~~~I can eat a lot less and still feel full, head hunger is HARD to deal with

Do you recommend it? 
~~~yes, I really want my abdominal girth and liver to shrink so that I can have the single incision lap RNY

How have you coped?
 ~~~Last week I felt like every meal was my "last meal" and I started saying goodbye to foods that I knew I won't be able to have for a long time or even ever again.  I gained 5 lbs and was really down and depressed.  I am so glad that my MD put me on this diet because I think I would've been "out of control" the weeks before my surgery.

My advice-
Keep up the good work !!  If you fall, don't stay down.  Ask for help if you need it.

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Lynn Brown
on 10/26/11 1:40 pm
Mandy,

So glad you mentioned the "last meal".  I start my pre-op diet on Saturday and this week has been a host of farewell parties -- to food. I thought I was going nuts. Everything I ate felt like the last time it would ever cross my lips. I know eventually we can add almost everything back to our diet but right now that feels so very far away.

Mandy R.
on 10/30/11 12:37 am - Callahan, FL
I know, it's crazy !

Kady
on 10/26/11 8:16 am - Lancaster County, PA
What kind of a diet?
4 day clear liquid

felt a little weak and tired

How much weight loss? 
8 pounds

Love it/Hate it? 
It was tolerable because it was a short amount of time.

If you want something bad enough, you will have the self control.

Do you recommend it? 
I recommend it b/c my surgeon recommended it mainly to shrink the liver and clear the GI tract.  Whatever made his job easier and my surgery safe, I was going to stick to...

How have you coped?
My mom came in town for surgery and we did stuff together and that helped-distraction was the key for me.  It also helped that my husband or mom cooked all of their meals during that time.

My advice-
Keep yourself distracted and focus on preparing for surgery-getting items together you will need post-op.  Pack your bag for the hospital.  Clean your house and change bedlinens b/c you won't feel up to it right away.  Clear out any non-WLS friendly food from your kitchen. Research and buy your vitamins and supplements, so you have them when you need to start taking them.  If you have any clothes that are too big for you pre-op, bag them up for charity, you won't be wearing them ever again.

Good luck everyone!