Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Groups » Nashville Nutrition ... » Discussion » Question about dump...

Question about dumping syndrome

cdouglas
on 2/3/09 5:03 am
When my husband had his gastric bypass he did not think he had a problem with dumping because his symptoms were not severe. He did have some diarrhea and vomiting but not any of the other symptoms. After going for my nutrition class I found out that the symptoms do not need to be severe at all. Is this something that is individualized? What kind of problems might I experience with this? I am planning to go for the vertical sleeve.
Bob L.
on 2/4/09 12:40 pm - Clarksville, TN
cdouglas, It's my understanding that only RNY patients can have true dumping sense that is the only surgery that the duodenal valve has been removed allowing sugars direct access into the intestines. Even with that I've heard several people that say they have eaten large amounts of sugar with no dumping. I've dumped once, went out to eat and I believe the sauce had to much sugar in it. I did have the classic symptoms clammy, diarrhea, vomiting. So I think like heart attacks or any other condition not everyone will have classic symptoms. Hope that's as clear as mud! C'ya Bob 

Truly Trina
on 2/5/09 5:51 am - Nashville, TN

Hi Cdouglas:

So glad you joined our group. How long ago did your husband have RNY? Did Dr. Richards perform his surgery?

What made you choose Vertical Sleeve over RNY?

I had RNY.. And I am a dumper….. Thank God for that…. I asked my PCP (Primary Care Physician) one time… I asked him this question cause I knew he treated a lot of patients that had WLS, I asked him to give me the percentages of his patients that gained weight back after WLS… He told me 50%… He said in his findings the patients that did not dump regained a substantial amount of weight.

This made sense to me because WLS is just a tool, it is not a cure for morbid obesity…. We have to use it as a tool. I approach all of my food choices as a dumper. I do not go near sugar… I know I will dump on sugar… That is the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. I do not even take one bite. I do not take a bite of my husbands pie thinking to myself well it is only one bite, what can that hurt? It can hurt a heck of a lot and I do not want to go there.

What my partner Bob told you is true…

I even went to a fabulous Deli the other night in Ft. Worth. They had a fantastic salad bar. I was able to choose all my own toppings and was thrilled with my choices. Everything on the bar was advertised as organic and pure with no hidden sugars. After eating about half of my salad I had to excuse myself from the table and go outside for some fresh air. Then followed the foamies and I had to go lay in the back seat of my car until my friends were finished with their meal. Talk about embarrassing. This all happened from a salad bar where I had complete control of my choices… Some label lied somewhere… That is for sure…

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

Bob L.
on 2/5/09 6:10 am - Clarksville, TN
It's that darn sneaky stuff that gets you!!!!!

cdouglas
on 2/5/09 12:06 pm
Michael, my husband had RNY in 2006 with Dr. Willie Melvin. He loved his surgeon and the staff at Vandy but he did not like the dietician assigned to him at that time. He just never did connect with her and so did not get the support he needed. Just like a man! LOL. Anyway through my process he is learning things about his WLS and nutrition needs. I have seen what he has went through and I wanted to not make the same mistakes. I was concerned about the malabsorption issue with RNY and have found out that he has been taken his supplements all wrong and I believe he has had some dumping with various things but not sugar. If he overeats or eats something dry or greasy he will get sick. I have met with Dr. Richards and we have decided to go with the vertical band to start with and then the duodenual switch later down the road.
Bob L.
on 2/5/09 12:32 pm - Clarksville, TN
I'm sorry Michael didn't get the support he needed. I guess what he has experienced is a type of dumping. What you've described can happen to anyone with any type of WLS, where yes dry foods or skins will block the sphincter at the top of the pouch.
You would be surprised at how many people nation wide that didn't know that dry foods and skins would cause this problem as well as not knowing what and how to take their vitamins and supplements.
I would really encourage you to start journaling each day what you eat and drink as well as your protein.
So many of these WLS groups have no program just do the surgery and push you out the door.
I've seen patients eating regular foods a week out of surgery when they should be on liquid, but hay how do you know if nobody tells you.
I think Vanderbilt has a very good program which they are always trying to improve and expand.
It's up to each one of us to give them the feed back they need to improve the program, we owe it to those who follow.
Good luck with the sleeve its my understanding they use this as the first step to get the weight and co-morbidity's down before performing the follow up surgery for the health of the patient. Need anything just ask their is a men's forum as well on OH Michael might feel more comfortable asking questions.
Good luck we're here to help.
C'ya Bob

cdouglas
on 2/6/09 3:43 am
Thanks I will let him know. I think the program has gotten better and yes I have just a large BMI that I think Dr. Richards wants to get that down before proceeding with the switch. Thanks for the support and comments. I have started journeling but need to be more consistent with it.
Bob L.
on 2/6/09 1:34 pm - Clarksville, TN
Best of Luck to both of you!

new_scrapbooker
on 3/20/09 5:38 pm - Chapel Hill, TN
Hi! I am in the beginning steps of having the surgery done (gastric bypass). I will be meeting with the surgeon for the first time on May 12th. I've been assigned to Dr. Melvin. Could you tell me if he has a great bedside manner? I've had doctors in the past that you can tell had no sense of humor, and didn't care about their patients, only about getting paid. They were just boring and unsensitive and no sense of humor. Just wondering, because you mentioned that your husbadn had the same doctor. Also, this dumping thing (diarrhea I'm guessing), is it permanent after having the surgery, or is it only after eating certain foods that our bodies can't handle? Also, is it true that your tastes of foods dramatically change after having had the surgery? Sorry, for asking SO many questions, but I am currently at my heighest weight that I've EVER been at in my WHOLE life, and I eat for all the wrong reasons (which is hard, because I live alone, and am a permanently dsiabled shut in, which makes it difficult to not eat, especially when you get lonely). I'm terrified of failing the diet after getting the surgery. Part of me says I can do it, but then there's this other part of me that says that since I failed every other diet in my life, what makes me think I can do any better on this one. Thanks for ANY help you can give me. Oh! One other question, after the surgery, do you still have all the food cravings that you had before the surgery, or does that (hopefully) change too?
cdouglas
on 3/23/09 3:16 am
My husband loves Dr. Melvin. He was great to work with and had a great bedside manner. That is saying alot because he is more particular than I am. Michael had diarrhea but also some vomitting and still does but to a lesser degree  if he tries to eat too much or too fast. I think he has learned his limits and tries to eat within them. He still has some problem with some things like chicken or pork. (It may be that it is too dry). His taste did change and he said that after the surgery he did not have the major cravings and at one point lost his interest in food. He used to love to eat. I eat for all sorts of reasons but he ate out of pure enjoyment with the food. Now he eats because he is hungry and needs the nutrition. He does not regret the surgery and would not hesitate to do it again. Within 3 months of the surgery he was able to stop all diabetes medications and his diabetes was out of control before the surgery. He was also disabled and is in a wheelchair. He now has more energy and gets out whereas before he hardly left the house. To help combat the lonliness, I found 2 great little toy poodles to keep him company. They give him something to do and company during the day. If you cannot keep a pet, then this support group or other groups can help you not be so lonely and take a focus from eating. Establishing a support group from family and friends before surgery is key. Just make sure it is someone supportive and reliable that will be helpful. We learned after Michael's surgery who we could count on and who was not helpful.  After surgery and losing the weight you may feel like doing things or getting involved in other interests that you are not able to do now which will help with the eating. I am planning on surgery now and I too am at my highest weight. I feel that if I do not take this step, I will not be able to be as active and may not be able to work for much longer. I value my independence too much and do not want this to happen. Also I have to be healthy in order to make sure that I can help Michael when he needs assistance. For whatever reason, you have made the choice for surgery and I think you will do fine. One thing we do not ever give ourselves credit for, is that we have to be strong to put up with the limitations and adversity from the obesity and to deal with others opinions and remarks to us. So I think as someone living with obesity we are stronger and tougher than we realize.