Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Groups » Nashville Nutrition ... » Discussion » Medication Warnings...

Medication Warnings

cdouglas
on 2/18/09 6:47 am
There has been some discussion about when to take and not take supplements. I now know that Iron and Calcium should not be taken together but did not think about my prescription meds. I happened to notice the other day after getting my thyroid medications that I was not supposed to be taking it with any vitamins or supplements with it  because it would not be absorbed properly. There is a whole list of medications that it is not supposed to be taken with. I have never had the pharmacist or doctors warn me about this and if I had not noticied the bottle I would have taken it with my supplements. I have now started reading all the pamphlets from the pharmacies on all my meds and supplements. It has required some work but I think I am taking meds and supplements the way I need to. I am posting this as a warning to check all your meds and not just your supplements to see if they are compatible or not. My husband has had WLS and I am awaiting mine. We have both had problems with anemia and vitamin defiencies and it is no wonder since we have not been taking our meds appropriately even though we thought we were. 
Bob L.
on 2/19/09 3:32 pm - Clarksville, TN
Thanks for the post I've always been told that we should let our Doctors know all of our med's and supplements as well as all over the counter med's.. But other then what you pointed out I never thought of the absorption issue in regards to other medication. Good post Thanks Bob

Truly Trina
on 2/25/09 7:41 am - Nashville, TN
Hi CDouglas,

What a great post.  You know I never thought about that.  Back prior to WLS I was taking tons of med.'s...  I wonder which ones interefered with what? 

Now several years later and 165 pounds lost, I no longer take all those meds. thank God...  I have really struggled with the Anti depressant's and made a radical decision last October that I would come off all the antidepressents cold turkey....(I would not recommend this to anyone without consulting their doctor.. it can be dangerous.) I had to do what I thought was best for me.  Now 4 months later I feel better emotionally than I have felt in a long time.  I think clearer I sleep better the list goes on and on.  Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days like everyone else.., I still have my blue times too.. but I daily learn new coping skills and I now take things 5 minutes at a time not a day at a time...

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

barbiej
on 2/26/09 5:18 am, edited 2/26/09 5:18 am - Goodlettsville, TN
I know what ya mean, I don't take this one, cause that one get in it's way, and that one cause it does like the other one, hey it's like some of my friends. HUMMMM, It's like High School all over again, LOL That's thank'n back, and ya'll don't say noth'n. luv ya Myspace Comments
Hug Comments Myspace Comments - Upload Photos Barb