Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Groups » Nashville Nutrition ... » Discussion » ways to get motivat...

ways to get motivated to exercse

BellBuckleGal
on 2/23/09 3:21 am - Bell Buckle, TN
I've kinda fallen off the wagon with exercising and I'm trying to get back in the routine of things and I was wondering what everyone does to stay motivated with exercising.  Any tips would be helpful.  Just to give you an idea, I have my third bedroom set up as my exercise room and it currently doesn't have a tv in it and I'm basically in there by myself with my cats looking at me and my puppy trying to jog with me.  So I'm unable to exercise in the living room because the equipment is to heavy to lug around.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Truly Trina
on 2/25/09 7:28 am - Nashville, TN
Hi Heather,

It is so good to see you..

How are things going?  Where are you at in the process now?

Falling off the exercise wagon is so easy to do isn't it?  Having a third bedroom set up for exercising is really cool.  Wish I had one of those...  Is there anyway you can put a tv in there....  If not how about a CD player with some of your favorite tunes blaring...  Lets see, if it were me I would be blasting the best of the Bee Gee's...oops showing my age huh?

Sometimes it may help if you break up the routine in smaller time incriments, lets say 15 minutes at a time throughout the day as opposed to trying to tackle it all at once....

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

BellBuckleGal
on 2/25/09 8:00 am - Bell Buckle, TN
Trina,
Things are going well.  I am waiting for Vanderbilt to submit everything to Cigna.  Which, I've been calling like crazy and have been told possibly tomorrow they will be faxing everything.  I've had so many medical appointments the past 2 months my head is spinning.  It's nice to know that Vanderbilt wants all of their ducks in a row before doing anything, but IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!  I'm so excited about the surgery, and yet scared to death.  I started crying the other night because I started thinking crazy things like "what if the surgery doesn't work for me" and "what if my diabetes doesn't go away"  I know the surgery will work for me, and eventually my diabetes will go away it's just my lovely self-doubting.

I've been put on this new medication, atenolol, to try and lower my heart rate and it's been giving me horrible head aches.  I am constantly living with a head ache and am trying not to take anything for it.

As for the exercise room, I'm trying to get a tv in there.  It's just difficult to move the satellite wire from one bedroom to another because I have to send my husband under the house to do it.  I do have a radio, and am trying to figure out the best kind of mp3 player to get so I can have all the music I want right at my finger tips.  I'm thinking about trying to do 20 minutes of exercise in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening.

So keep me in your thoughts that hopefully in 8 weeks I'll be having my surgery.  I hope everything is going well for you.

Heather
cdouglas
on 2/26/09 3:56 am
If you can set up your computer or laptop in your exercise room you can go to www.veoh.com and watch old tv shows for free. I am into Emergency, Adam 12 and Dragnet right now. I am waiting on my surgery too so I know how you feel. I too have Cigna and am trying to get everything accomplished for them to authorize the surgery. I seen what the surgery did for  my husband and his diabetes improved and he was off of insulin shots 2 months after the surgery so I know we will see benefits. The most frustrating thing is the wait. Once I commit to something I am ready for it to be done.
BellBuckleGal
on 2/26/09 10:18 am - Bell Buckle, TN
I feel the same way.  I've debated about having this surgery for about 2 years and now that I'm ready for it,I want to get it done NOW!  Thanks for the website, I might try that out.  I did find out some good news.  They have finally submitted my information to Cigna and according to the insurance lady she said they have been hearing responses in about 2 weeks.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have surgery before Easter.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how long it takes to get in to have the surgery once the insurance approval comes back?
Denise M.
on 3/3/09 11:21 pm
 Hi!

I had a 3rd bedroom exercise room, but ended up moving stuff into my master bedroom just so it was in my face.  So far so good as I average getting on the elliptical machine 3-4 times a week.

If you can't drag a tv in there, have you considered using music?  I listen to my iPod when I work out and have a choice of upbeat music to keep me moving.  If I jus****ch tv, I end up going reaaallllly slowwwwwly.  I keep time to the music, whi*****reases my pace and makes me sweat and the music (singing!) makes the time fly by.

I just got approved for surgery at Vanderbilt.  My packet was submitted to BC/BS on Feb 5th, I got approved on Feb 12th-ish and got my surgery date a little over a week after that.  I found out that I was approved and had to wait on the letter.  But it was between 2-3 weeks from insurance submission to getting a date at Vanderbilt.

Good luck and hang in there--you'll get your date before you know it!
Denise (born and raised in M'boro, my parents live in Christiana)

BellBuckleGal
on 3/4/09 10:13 pm - Bell Buckle, TN
Denise,
Okay so when you got the approval your surgery date, like the day you had your surgery, was 1 week after?  It happens that fast?  Most of the stuff I've read on here was that someone got an approval and it was 2 months until the day of their surgery.  WOW, they are fast.  Hope everything is going well for you.

Heather
Denise M.
on 3/5/09 7:41 pm
 I wish!  I'd be done with the liquid diet by now!  

Weighed the insurance weight . . . took 1 week for Vanderbilt to prepare my paperwork and forward it to BC/BS

BC/BS received paperwork . . . took 1.5 weeks for them to "scan" it in and review it and send me the approval letter.  I was a shoe in because my BMI is >40 and I have many co-morbidities.

Took one more week for Vanderbilt to get around to scheduling me.  

It took just over 3 weeks from weigh in to surgery date.  My surgery date is April 6, so for my surgeon, from approval to surgery date is about 5 weeks.

It sounds like a long time, but it went by faster than I thought.  I'll have to look at my ticker to see how many days until surgery--should be right around 30 to go!  WOW!

Good luck, Heather!  It'll go by quickly!
Denise

barbiej
on 2/26/09 5:13 am - Goodlettsville, TN
Don't ever feel that you are all alone, we've been there. and we are here for ya. We can relieve some pain, I know that you can do this and your outcome it gonna be great, by the way have we told ya'll you've got some of the greatest folks (team) on your side. The Vandy team is awesome. I know that the Baptist and Centinial and all the others are as well, but I'm just alittle partial to the Vandy team. Myspace Comments
Hug Comments Myspace Comments - Upload Photos Barb