Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Groups » Nashville Nutrition ... » Discussion » Thought ya'll might...

Thought ya'll might enjoy cinnamon!!

barbiej
on 3/12/09 3:59 am - Goodlettsville, TN
.I get this e-mail daily about nutritional finds. today was about cinnamon thought is sounded very interesting especially if you are still in process of loosing  or still such as me have Diabetes. Of course there are some things that must be prepared our way, or we can only have very little of. Of course for many of us it may be further down the line. But that time will come , I promise. Please give feedback? Hugz Barb
Aahhh….the spicy, sweet smell of cinnamon! Cinnamon not only smells and tastes good, adding wonderful flavor to many foods, it's also what we call a SuperSpice.

Cinnamon comes from the interior bark of evergreen trees native to Asia. Cassia cinnamon comes from Southeast Asia and has the flavor and aroma most of us are familiar with. However, there are many different kinds of cassia cinnamon, each with its own distinct flavor and strength, and in some cases, different grades. Ceylon cinnamon is complex, less sweet and has a bit of citrus flavor. English and Mexican foods are often made with this cinnamon. Cinnamon comes ground, in chunks and in sticks.

We're still learning about all the good things cinnamon has to offer our bodies but one exciting benefit is its effect on lowering blood glucose levels. In one study, patients with type II diabetes who took one-half a teaspoon of cinnamon daily found their "fasting" serum glucose levels were lowered by 18 to 29 percent. This study also found that triglyceride levels were lowered by 23 to 30 percent, LDL (bad) cholesterol levels were lowered by 7 to 27 percent and total cholesterol levels were lowered by 12 to 26 percent. What's really fascinating is that 20 days after the study period ended, the benefits were still in effect.

Cinnamon has antibacterial properties. The natural, essential oils in cinnamon have been clinically shown to stop or reduce the growth of bacteria and fungi.

And another study has demonstrated that just smelling cinnamon can increase your cognitive abilities.

It's fairly easy to add a little cinnamon to your life. I like to sprinkle it on my oatmeal and some cereals. It's also good on yogurt, mixed with some fruit and topped with granola. My kids like it on whole-wheat toast and waffles. Of course, it works very well with baked fruit desserts, muffins and loaf breads (i.e. pumpkin bread). You can also add cinnamon to savory dishes such as stews and chilies.

Simmer milk with a little vanilla and a cinnamon stick for a few minutes. You can either drink the milk with a little honey or pour some on your oatmeal. There are other great

ErikaAnn
on 3/13/09 7:59 am - MT. JULIET, TN
YUMMY CINNAMON!

2Corinthians 5:7

Bob L.
on 3/13/09 10:54 am - Clarksville, TN
I've read it has great benefits but for as long as I can remember I've loved cinnamon. I still eat it daily in my yogurt or oatmeal. It's nice to know that finally something you love is good for you!!! C'ya Bob

barbiej
on 3/27/09 10:15 am - Goodlettsville, TN
I wish that I'd heard more about the benefits of it and diabetics awhile back, I sure could of used this info. I haven't tried the cardmaster vanilla with cinnomon yet, but it is on the list to try. MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
 Barb

barbiej
on 3/27/09 9:55 am - Goodlettsville, TN
That's what I say!!!! YUMMMIE!!!! I even love the smell of apples & Cinnomin, Hummmm wonder if that has any value??? MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
Hugz Barb

Truly Trina
on 3/18/09 12:04 pm - Nashville, TN
I just love cinnamon..... 

This is good to know....

I am like Bob, I like to sprinkle it on my oatmeal with raisins and walnuts.....YUM

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

barbiej
on 3/27/09 10:23 am - Goodlettsville, TN
Sorry my dear it has taken so long to respond, but I'm back now, yummmmmmie!!!!  Raisins for some reason, I don't tolerate as well, I don't know why, maybe the natural sugar content. But walnuts are a good thing, I know that my Dr. (pcp) wants me to eat 9 almonds per day, they are good for your heart. I just found them kinda hard to chew with your teeth out! Yippss!! MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
Hugz & Luv Barb

cdouglas
on 3/23/09 3:25 am
I use cinnamon alot. I noticied at Walmart there are now cinnamon pills. I think they also say cinnamon is good for the heart probably because of the triglyceride and chol. help.  
barbiej
on 3/27/09 10:31 am - Goodlettsville, TN
I never thought is would come in pill form. Hummm  Thanks for the info. MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
Barb