RNY Runners

Groups » RNY Runners » Discussion » Status Update!

Status Update!

Carolyn D.
on 6/9/12 1:21 am - San Jose, CA
Thanks Cleopatra_Nik for starting the discussion to get the group going again!  I am still running - matter of fact I am supposed to run a 1/2 Marathon tomorrrow, but I think I am going to just run 10K. 

A couple of reasons for this decision.  1. I have not been doing yoga and without yoga my hips do not tolerate longer than 5 or 6 miles.  and 2. My daughter has a soccer tournament (my hubby is out of town with my other daughter at a tournament...), normally I would just miss the game, but this is an important game and that I do not want to miss.

I have not been going to Yoga lately because my school schedule (yes I am 40ish returning to finally finish my education!) conflicted with my yoga classes.  I continued running but started having more hip pain, then more, then had to shut down for a few weeks.  OK so yoga is mandatory for me to be able to run.  Next semester - I have time for yoga before classes.  Now I know - that for me the 2 go hand in hand.  School is out for summer and I am looking forward to yoga on Monday :-)

So far this year I have run the following races -
St. Patricks 10K
Diva 1/2 Marthon in SF
Lathrop Mud Run 5K
and tomorrow Hellyer 1/2 ( or prob 10k)

Next up:
San Jose Mud Buddies 9/30
Morgan Hill 1/2 10/28

Still considering a few more for later this year.  I typically run 3 days a week and do 3 days of yoga.  My normal daly milage is 5-6 miles.  I am a SLOW runner - but hey it's not like I am trying to win a race - I just want to finish! 

I have been using Nike+ to track my milage ****il it died for the 4th time - smack dab in the middle of the Diva 1/2...)  just got a replacement from the Apple store but due to finals I have not even been getting my normal runs in.  No excuses - gotta run.

Challenge that I am having - I had a hysterectmy in November and have gained  15 holy **** pounds.  I need to get back to my normal 145-150 not 160-162.  Solution - watch the extra food, and hit the pavement!!!!!  3 years out - my pouch has expanded/relaxed  and I can eat more - so now I really need to be in control of my portions! 

Well good luck to everyone!  I am gearing up for a day at the soccer field as a very loud and proud soccer mom! 

Keep your feet to the pavement - by the way - what is your favorite kind of running shoe - I currently have Brooks but they need replacing.  I did the shoe dog last time and these were the best option (incluidng the $75 custome inserts.)  They need to be swapped for new shoes after this race so off to shoe shopping.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/12/12 3:25 am - Baltimore, MD
 Good to hear from you!

I am still in fits and starts with my running. Need to be more consistent.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

less_of_me
on 7/1/12 2:00 am - Ottawa, Canada
Ran my first 5 k on May 26th.  I was not well prepared as I had surgery mid-April.  I injured my feet when I took I took a tumble trying to avoid someone who unexpectedly stepped into my path.  I am running my second 5k on July 15th, I have been out running on the pavement in preparation for it, so hopefully it will go better.
Carolyn D.
on 7/1/12 2:55 am - San Jose, CA
Congratulations!!!!  Sorry about the tumble - I hate it when people stop in front of you - geezzz move to the side first!  There is some running etiquette, people need to think about running just like they would driving a car - but then I have had some idiots slam on their brakes right in front of me on the freeway, so go figure.  Running on pavement is different then on say a nice soft track. You have to try to be as light on your feet as possible.  Try to listen to your steps - they should be very quite when you run.  If you are hearing your feet slamming into the pavement or scraping the ground - try to adjust your stride.  I know when I run with my niece (22) someone might as well be trying to snow ski next to me - she drags her feet when she runs.  MUCH more work! 

My next "race" is Mud Buddies 9/30 and then a 1/2 Marathon 10/28. After being a goal for almost 2 years,  I have put on 15 pounds since my hysterectomy in November and it has made a huge difference in my running.  (needless to say a bad difference).  So I set a goal earlier this week to get those pounds off before my 1/2 in October. 

A few small changes I can make should do it -
1.  limit the sugar free, decaf coffee to 1 or 2 cups a day (some days I think I have 10 of them - and even though they are sugar free, they are not calerie free.  60 Cal (or more depending on how big my spoonfull is) per each can really add up.
2.  stay away from the peanut butter filled pretzels from Costco!!!!!  They are addicting and even though they do have some protein - they have WAY to many carbs.
3. snack on fruit/greek yogurt - even though a 200 cal protein bar is much easier, quicker and tastyer. (ok is that even a word)
4.  WATCH PORTION SIZES. (3 years after RNY I can eat a lot more food, I need to really focus on small portions).

Less_of _me  and all other runners - Keep up the good work!