VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » I spend too much ti...

I spend too much time thinking about food! HELP!

Happy966
on 9/24/12 3:27 am

I *am* a food addict (though I would say "compulsive overeater") and I have used food and thinking about food (including related things like weight and exercise and body size) for a long time to distract myself.  I think I mostly try to use it to manage anxiety.  I think that's why I don't have a lot of food thoughts when I'm very busy, because very busy is just as an effective distraction as food thoughts are.

The thing that has helped me is not expecting them to go away, so I don't put too energy into "thoughts about the food thoughts." I try to equate them to the way normal thoughts intrude when I try to meditate - that is, just to let them pass by with as little additional attention as possible, especially not judgemental attention, and redirect my brain to something more productive.  This is not easy, and I still think about food and such way more than a normal human.  I can'****ch cooking shows or read food blogs for that reason - it really ramps up that part of my brain.

Anti-anxiety medication may help, I don't know from personal experience.  It might help break a cycle you are stuck in.  I think that's why therapy can be very effective for some.  The concept of "turning it over" that is used in 12-step programs can be really helpful, too.  No matter how much I obsess about my weight, etc., it isn't going to make one bit of difference, right?  I agree, ugh! 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Escape_Pod
on 9/25/12 4:02 am
It sounds like I'm in good company here (dang it!). I know this is where the REAL work comes in. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and tips. Using food to manage anxiety really rings true for me, but I begin to wonder when I'm away from all the sources of stress and still find myself obsessing about food. Sounds like it may be time for me to try again to find a therapist that's a good match for me.
The good news is, all of you seem to be so successful despite this, so there's hope for me too!
Lee ~
on 9/25/12 4:50 am - CA
 Last December I lost  my job of 18 years. my fridge became a walking talking double wide. It really didn't want to shut up.  I've had to go hiking everyday this summer to keep my mind and body busy.

I need a boyfriend and a job!  I totally relate to thinking about food too much.  I need more distractions!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011