Protein and vitamins

stacy L.
on 8/22/06 3:54 pm - atascadero, CA
I cut back on my vitamins because the doctor told me that I didnt need them anymore that My gastric bypass surgeon, and since then I have been have energy problems, so I went back on them and this is week two. I am not falling asleep anymore and I was doing that in the middle of the day. So my question is that should I be still drinking protein shakes and also bars. How much is too much cuz i want to avoid gaining weight. I actually want to lose more. thanks stacy
white2003toyota
on 8/23/06 4:41 am - Kaneohe, HI
Hi Stacy!! It's been awhile. How are you doing? I just saw my surgeon a few weeks ago. I was told even prior to having the weight loss surgery that taking protein, vitamins, and calcium and iron supplements would be a lifetime requirement. He told me to always remember that our bodies are not the same as before the surgery. I guess it also depends on the type of surgery you had. I had the lap rny and because our large intestine has been bypassed our bodies will always have a problem absorbing enough nutrients to sustain us. That's probably why you felt tired. I had lap rny on January 10, 2005 and still take 2 multi-vitamins, l protein shake (50 grams of protein), 2 iron, 1.500 mg. of calcium, and 2 B-12. We really need these in order to maintain a healthy body. Hope this helps!! God Bless and have a great week!!! Aloha, Pat
stacy L.
on 8/23/06 6:23 am - atascadero, CA
Thank you Pat. I will go and buy the protein for my shakes and continue my vitamins. You look great! Best wishes and huggssss. Stacy
debdoc
on 8/24/06 1:23 am - fort wayne, IN
greetings stacy i, too, was told that the vitamins are a life-time commitment. i still take the same vitamins i've been taking since i had surgery. i still eat protein bars and drink the shakes too, although i believe if you get in enough protein with food, they would not be a requirement. i just LIKE them! best to you! deb -266 (and in ONEDERLAND!)
Vickie J
on 8/25/06 1:44 am - Tallahassee, FL
Stacy, My surgeon told me that taking multi- vitamins & B-12 would be a lifetime commitment and if I wasn't willing to do that, I was not a good candidate for gastric bypass (RNY). I've been faithful taking them and on my own & with my nutritionist's advice I have added calcium, iron and a few others (zinc, biotin, Vit. K). I recently switched to Bariatric Advantage chewable multi-vitamins (orange flavor) and Bariatric Advantage chewable iron (passion fruit flavor) and my labs are fantastic! The Bariatric Advantage are supposed to be more readily absorbed & have more bioavailability than regular ones. Seems to work better for me. My surgeon prefers that we get our protein from food, not protein shakes or bars. However, I do supplement with shakes or bars occassionally, depending on how my day has been. I include them when I record my food on FitDay.com so I can stay within my daily calorie "allowance". That is how I've prevented weight gain so far. Good luck & hang in there. You can do it! Vickie J.
Most Active
Recent Topics