Watch Out for dehydration!

miztex
on 11/26/06 2:05 pm - Pharr, TX
I want to warn everyone who has had a Gastric bypass to be very careful if you get the flu or a stomach bug or virus. I had diahrrea for a couple of days, but didn't curtail my activities or see the doc because I frequently have it due to the bypass and IBS. I had a little sore throat and runny nose and eyes on the third day, but it is allergy season here, so I ignored it and dutifully took my benedryl. On the fourth day, I had sharp stomach pains and nausea, so I went to the doctor; expecting to get a shot, some prescribed meds, and be told to go home and rest. Instead, the doc told me to go to the hospital for fluids. I was severely dehydrated. Yikes! I am fine now; it passed in a day or two. But I almost missed Thanksgiving dinner! Be careful; we dehydrate faster now. Drink plenty of water and protein, especially when feeling a little sick. Lou Ann
Vickie J
on 12/2/06 4:34 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Lou Ann, Thanks for the reminder / warning!! I tend to be low on fluid intake anyway (25-30 oz.) so I have to really watch out for dehydration. I'm trying to work at drinking more but it is hard b/c I just don't feel thirsty and don't realize how little I've had until I enter my intake on FitDay. Hope you're feeling better! Vickie J.
Most Active
Recent Topics