To shake or not to shake???? Is that they whey?

Ms T.
on 8/29/08 8:13 am - Northern Chicagoland, IL
 Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago Kay, April and I were discussing the necessity of protein shakes in our diet now.  One thought is that we should be able to get enough calories and protein thru food.  Another perspective was that having a shake makes you fuller and there is a tendency to eat less.

I find myself in the second category, if I skip a shake the next day I want to eat everything in sight and never feel full.  

So the questions are.....
Do you have a shake or protein supplement in your diet?  
Every day?  
Do you feel or eat different if you don't have one?  
And what is your favorite recipe or two?

I put a scoop of vanilla whey protein (Jay Robb) into a grande latte from Starbucks - with soy milk and the SF cinnamon Dulce syrup.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this!!

Have a great holiday weekend!!!

~Tiffany
special kay
on 8/30/08 1:32 am, edited 8/30/08 1:35 am - Ladson, SC

Hello Tiffany. I love the title! Soo cute.

There was a huge discussion about protein shakes on the main board a about a week ago and omg, people really have strong opinions about this. It was funny to me. Some surgeons say no shakes because we should be getting protein from food and some say protein shakes are necessary everyday. My surgeon says 2 protein shakes a day for the rest of my life but be careful my calorie intake.  The protein I drink only has 90 calories and I drink Calorie coundown milk with it so it's not that high in calories.

I personally think they are inportant for our health. When I stopped drinking them for a while, my skin started to breakout, I had no energy, my hair starting falling out again like it did when I first had the surgery.  So, I still have one or two everyday.  I agree with you when you say you graze less when you have one.

My favorite Protein is by Nectar. "Latte Cappuccino" So good!  I usually just mix it with a little ice and 8 oz of milk but in the winter i drink alot of protein hot chocolate. I Put 1 scoop of protein, 1 pack of diet hot chocolate and 1 pack of splenda in a mug and stir in 14 oz  of warm milk or water.

That's my 2 cents on protein and now I want one. LOL

You have a good holiday weekend too!
Kay

*~*Jaci *.
on 8/30/08 2:40 am - Central Valley, CA

I find that in my normal everyday life I cannot eat enough protein for the recomended amount that I feel I need.  I have learned when I consume 80-100 grams I feel more satisfied and have more energy the next day... but on my unemployed income I can't purchase foods rich in protein, so MUST make sure I have a shake.

I love mixin things up when shakin it.  A favorite is chocolate powder, vanilla soy milk and a banana... sometimes I'll throw some Peanut Butter in.  I'm into the creamy stuff as well... vanilla with peaches, strawberries or whatever.

My parents are wanting to get into shape for their anniversary and Christmas... I said they could do the shakes... just get the powder... (I happen to be out, he he) and we're off to Costco today, so cross your fingers we get some yumminess!

When I am able to get Starbucks, I adore the vivanno.  Its high in sugar, so I combat it with extra protein and tell the barista to use 1/2 or the smallest banana they have.  That helps a little :)  Mmmm Vivanno.

*~*Jaci*~*

The more things the change, the more they're still the same.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 1:01 am, edited 8/31/08 1:01 am - Eau Claire, WI

Yes people DO have super strong opinions on their protein shakes! I hate them, always have, always will. We were told to get in at least 60 g of protein in. Not hard to do with food at all. Plus I'm still a little piggy and I love to eat and if I can eat instead of drink, well hell yeah!

I've since learned that you should get anywhere from .5-2 g of protein PER POUND. How anyone could do the 2 g is beyond me! Anyway, I've started a weight lifting program over the last 4-5  weeks and really stepped it up the last 3 weeks. I do drink a protein shake after my work outs/weight lifting because you should have easily digested protein within 30 mins after the work out, which only leaves protein shakes as a way to get it. I do slim fast low carb ones. 190 cals and 20g protein, has a high fat content though, 9 g, which sucks but it's the only one I've been able to tolerate at all.

So anyway, if people keep their protein shakes, low cal, low carb, low fat who cares?! :-) Just in general I do much better if I can keep my calories divided into 50% protein and 25 % carb 25% fat ( 505 P, 30% C, 20%F would be better but I can't seem to EVER reach that ratio!)

Hugs!!!

pvnurse04
on 9/1/08 5:17 am - Newark, DE
Most days I'm able to get in about 70-80g protein from food if I eat right. I bought a new protein shake a couple months ago and found that I was gaining weight from it, so I stopped completely to see how I felt. I felt fine actually...no changes in energy, hair or anything. That being said...everyone is different. Since i've been working out a little bit more, I'll add a few shakes a week. Not only that, but it really helps for meal planning when I'm at work. So...we'll see!

April
Most Active
Recent Topics
Found my way back
Kristi H. · 0 replies · 154 views
9 years really
toleary · 2 replies · 591 views
gained weight scared!
Rosemary C. · 0 replies · 629 views
Wow, it's been a long time.
Susan D. · 1 replies · 590 views