HELP, Sleep Apnea Questions!

Mariam T.
on 11/28/06 4:15 pm - Oakley, CA
In reading through everyones profiles and blogs, I have come across several people mentioning their concern over sleep apnea and how that might cause a problem with surgery. I definately do not understand this so I am looking for some information. I am certain I haev sleep apnea and when I started looking into this surgery, I mentioned it to my doctor...I had my sleep study last Sunday and the tech said I stopped breathing quite a bit, then I slept with that c-pap thing for the second half of the night. He said my doctor would get a report in a few weeks and then he would determine my need for a machine. Is this a bad thing? I thought that sleep apnea ws one of the medical factors that helped in me getting approval for the surgery. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
jtrudolph
on 11/29/06 1:40 am
SOSA is a comorbidity that can help you get approved for WLS. When you have surgery they usually want you to bring your mask & sometimes machine to the hospital. When you are asleep they want you to use it to prevent any SOSA symptoms (in recovery & in your room etc.) Personally I have a very difficult time sleeping without my machine (even in recovery!) According to my drs they like to put sleep apnea patients in ICU for closer monitoring post surgery since we are prone to airway collapse. It is VERY important. Yes your dr will get a copy of the sleep study (request a copy/copies for your personal records this is always a good thing.) It will be extremely detailed and listing the amount of time you slept, how long it took you to fall asleep, your normal and lowest oxygen sats, the number and type of any disruptions. I have used CPAP for six years now and it works wonders for me.
horizontallychallenged
on 11/29/06 9:52 am
Terrisa, You sound very knowledgeable in the SOSA area, maybe you can answer my question. Don't feel cornered, it may be unanswerable by anyone but the doctor that did the study which I can't get to talk to me because he isn't my doctor ... UHHHHH I've asked the doctor that ordered it and prescribed the CPAP w/oxygen, she doesn't know details, just what was told to her by the sleep doctor...I changed doctors but haven't talked to him about this yet. I have REM sleep apnea. I don't stop breathing unless I'm dreaming and than I flat-out do not breath, my respiratory drive stops completely. I can hold my breath for over a minute and a half!! My O2 sats drop down into the low 60's and than I wake up gasping. I don't have OBSTRUCTIVE apnea, it's only the REM apnea. My question - After I have surgery, have you heard of anyone getting over the REM type sleep apnea? I have this horrid feeling I'll be on my CPAP w/oxygen for the rest of my days.
carolem
on 11/30/06 2:47 am - Austin , TX
I was so happy to read that you love your CPAP. I'm suppose to go back in for another sleep study using a CPAP machine. I've heard there are different kinds, which one is yours? I only have moderate sleep apnea, but the doctor wants me to have a CPAP anyway and thinks it will improve dramatically after WLS. So I'm not too worried about it, I just hate the idea of something on my face to sleep. I usually sleep on my side, so I'm not sure how this will work. Thanks for any help you can give me. CaroleM
jtrudolph
on 11/29/06 10:02 am
I honestly don't know that much about the REM sleep apnea, it sounds pretty scary though. I would just make sure that your WLS dr knows exactly what is going on with your apnea and ask how they plan to follow you post surgery (ICU etc.) It is VERY important they monitor you. I read a post not too long ago by a friend of WLS patient that did not make it (had undiagnosed sleep apnea) was left alone in her room after recovery and didn't breathe had all kinds of problems and eventually passed away. If they do not know how to handle your apnea I would try to find a dr that knows about your type of apnea and is willing to use extreme caution post surgery. And whoever will be with you at the hospital (spouse, family, friend whoever) is aware as well to make sure that you have the proper care. Good luck with your surgery The CPAP really does do wonders. I hope that WLS will also resolve your type of apnea!
Anna Bryant
on 11/29/06 10:19 am - Roanoke, VA
Mariam, sorry I probably didn't explain myself well. What I meant was I hope I don't have it because it will delay my surgery. That's all I meant hon. However I am glad that my doctor ordered the sleep study. I did a little questionair and I was borderline and he wanted to make sure so that I could get on the cpap if needed. I hope this clears up your question to me. Sorry I read your question at work and since it is late and I got home late, am ready to log out but wanted to address your question. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will update once I have my study. Take care!! Anna
jtrudolph
on 11/30/06 12:12 pm
Hi again. The machine I have is six years old a respironics aria XL or LX I forget now. I am in the process of getting a new machine as my insurance allows a new one every six years. Not sure what brand they'll allow but it is supposed to be a heated humidifier which helps with the nasal dryness. My current unit uses distilled water at room temp. In the winter when it is dry I tend to get dry bloody noses (dried inside, yuck.) The heated is supposedly going to help with that. I use the standard type nasal mask. I have had several of the similar type mask and headgear over the years. When I see my new resp ther and sales rep I am going to look into a different type. I sleep on my back and sides all the time. You will learn with your particular style mask how long your cord is, how you can turn etc. It is automatic now I do it in my sleep!!! I won't say it didn't take getting used to sleeping with every night. But after waking up that first morning... I was hooked. Feeling that rested was worth the initial weirdness going to sleep. Now it is no biggie... I take it to hotels and on trips too... I can't even sleep well on the couch for a cat nap with out it, keep waking myself up. Hope yours works out well for you
Pugsley
on 12/1/06 2:09 am - Dedham, MA
I have sleep apnea and I swear by my machine. The best of luck with everything.
Anna Bryant
on 12/1/06 6:20 am - Roanoke, VA
Mary, I love your pug...we have 2. Anna
Anna Bryant
on 12/1/06 6:20 am - Roanoke, VA
Mary, I love your pug...we have 2. Anna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Year 7!!!
Stephanie B. · 14 replies · 1379 views
5 Year Anniversary
Stephanie B. · 1 replies · 1064 views