New to the block

keke
on 12/9/06 12:46 am - Sacramento, CA
Hello everyone just wanted to introduce myself, I am KEKE and my date is January 9, a little nervous, but not that much just wanted to know what I should bring to the hospital?
Crystal M
on 12/9/06 9:39 am - Dracut, MA
That is a really great question. I imagine you will want to bring a comfy robe and slippers since they will have us walking right after surgery to limit blood clots. Also, some good reading materials. I doubt you will need too much, just your shampoo and "make me feel pretty items". I am going in on January 8th, so we are about the same date. Welcome to the January family Crystal
keke
on 12/10/06 5:52 am - Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the info Crystal, i thought i didn't need that much, but just wanted to make sure. i will see on the loosing sidelol.
Anna Bryant
on 12/9/06 9:45 am - Roanoke, VA
Woooooot!! Congrats Keke!! Welcome to the January Board. Anna
keke
on 12/10/06 5:56 am - Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the welcome.
cathrynsrealm
on 12/11/06 11:28 pm - Corbin, KY
January 9th, the day after me! Keke, I have been wondering the same thing, about what to take to the hospital, but I'm reading a book right now that I got at Books-A-Million (Gastric Bypass Surgery by Mary P. McGowan). It's sort-of generic, but has a lot of helpful things in it that I didn't really know yet. So I'll tell you what it says to take: ? A couple loose-fitting nightgowns ? Socks and slippers ? Toiletries, because most hospitals don't provide more than the basic soap/shampoo ? Bath powder (To help you feel better, since many hospital mattresses are covered in plastic) ? A fan ? A book ? A pillow, if you're partial to your own ? A camera (Not I! lol) ? Very loose-fitting clothes to go home in ? Music player Some of that stuff sounds like a good idea now, but I seriously wonder if I'll be in the mood to use it when we get there. (Like a book... I honestly wonder how many people are in the mood to read immediately post-op?) Anyone that's already had the surgery could probably answer your question better than me, but I just thought I'd share that from this book. I know, myself, I just bought a couple gowns from lanebryantcatalog.com and a new pair of house slippers. I'm hoping in my pre-op visit with the surgeon on Jan 3rd he can tell me more about what to have. Good luck!
keke
on 12/12/06 3:55 am - Sacramento, CA
Sounds good, I probably want take a camera either lol, thanks.
carolem
on 12/13/06 5:37 am - Austin , TX
My husband had his lap-band on Nov 6th, laproscopic. Right after recovery when your first in your room you are so groggy and out of it that you will not be reading anything! You might feel like it later in the evening after you've walked a little. You will have a difficult time wearing your own gown, you'll have an IV for liquids all hooked up to you. That's why the hospital gowns work with the sleeves opening at the top. They have these really attractive (not) robes to wear over them when you parade around the floor! Slippers you can slide into would be good. A few things like tootbrush, toothpaste, comb, brush, moisturizer, leave the makeup home, you won't feel like it. Some powder tho might be good, light body lotion maybe. Leave jewlrey at home, bring your glasses if you wear them. We were told to leave our little carry bag with whomever brought us to the hospital so they could hang onto it until you were out of recovery and in your room. If you use a CPAP, we were told to bring them, they will put it on you in recovery. We were also told to bring those little plastic breathing things to practice expanding our lungs before surgery. Your doctor should have given you one in your pre-op class or meeting. The less you bring the better, oh maybe some underwear might be good! You should be able to wear home what you came to the hospital in. Keep it simple, you'll be happy that you did. Carolem in AZ
keke
on 12/14/06 6:16 am - Sacramento, CA
Thanks, I don't want to take too much unecessary stuff.
future_diva
on 12/15/06 6:10 am - Terre Haute, IN
Congratulations KEKE!!! I will be having my WLS on January 9th also.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Year 7!!!
Stephanie B. · 14 replies · 1379 views
5 Year Anniversary
Stephanie B. · 1 replies · 1064 views