Chewing...Do I over think it?

taralynn1022
on 4/10/09 2:48 am
Ok Everyone....

How much do you chew? I've been told that i'm over thinking it....I chew my food until it's the baby food consistency or slightly lumpy/bumpy just before that baby food consistency...and I chew and chew until the flavor is gone and there is no more goodness about it...I will end up spitting it out....especially if I don't feel it's chewed enough problem is...and this is where it gets gross...if I look at it or my husband looks at it...he says..you could have swallowed that....

so how much do you chew and when do you know it's enough?
pinkshrimp
on 4/12/09 6:55 am - HI
Wow that really is a lot of chewing but that's good.  I've heard you're supposed to chew about 20-30 times to get the soft consistency that you're talking about.  Unfortunately, I've never mastered that one.  I chew just enough that I know there are no hard or large clumps. Normally I take small bites though because I know I don't chew enough.  When I eat something more dense like chicken, I might chew a little longer but not much.  Thank goodness I've never got anything stuck!

Highest/Surgery Day/Current/Goal
315 300 /  159.8/ 160

Robin D.
on 4/18/09 2:37 am, edited 4/18/09 2:41 am
I agree wtih pinkshrimp. I chop my food up by hand and eat small pieces. I tend to return to old habits and will swallow to big of a piece every now and then if I don't. My pouch will remind me!!! Ouch!

HW263/SW255.2/CW213.4/GW140

Robin

agilityrulz
on 4/13/09 3:37 am - TX
I chew about 15-20 times before swallowing.  Just remember that anything too dry will not be a good thing...  I was very worried about a stricture when I started to eat real food again.  But I have learned that as long as I eat moist items and chew very well I will be good.

There are things that we have to relearn and eating has been one for me.  I need to learn what I do and don't like and what my pouch can and can't tolerate.

Good Luck!!
Chrissy

Karen O.
on 4/17/09 12:36 am - Erie, PA
I don't chew nearly enough as I am suppose to.  I have never had anything "stuck", but I have chewed chicken till the flavor was gone, and it was gross :(  You know your pouch, if you feel that food is gross anymore because you chew it until it is tasteless, then test the waters a little and try to not chew it to death lol.  If you are spitting out your food on a regular basis, you are not getting the nutrients of that food you are eating ... that could become a problem in the long run.  I hope you find a happy medium :)
                                                       K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 1/2 years
GoldFish · 1 replies · 875 views
Roll call!!
iisme · 0 replies · 797 views
gaining it back
wichita_loser · 6 replies · 1642 views
Feeling stuck...
EllenFan · 2 replies · 932 views