6 months Post op ... how are you doing?

Karen O.
on 8/3/09 1:27 am - Erie, PA
Everyone is 6 months out ... some are closer to 7 months out ...

How are you doing? (weight & health wise)

Are you happy with your WLS decision?

What exercise are you doing?

What does your diet look like?

WOW moment?

What can you do NOW that you couldn't do BEFORE?

K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

Karen O.
on 8/3/09 1:37 am - Erie, PA
How are you doing? (weight & health wise) I went from 287 lbs to 188 lbs in 6 months!  Only 1 more pound until I hit the Century Club!!  I am so excited!

Are you happy with your WLS decision? I am very pleased with my RNY, it has helped me lose so much weight & gain my life back!

What exercise are you doing? I go workout 3-5 days a week, it is hard with the kiddos to fit it into our schedule.  I vow to walk more at night time after dinner, hopefully I can make this a daily thing!

What does your diet look like? I have found myself grazing all day lately, I need to nip that in the butt before I fall back into old habits.  I love cheese & meats ... but usually don't get all my protein in ... hence why my hair is falling out :(

WOW moment? My step father told my mom "she looks like a normal person" ... not in a bad way, but that I am "normal" ... WOW, some would have took that as a mean comment, but I take it as a compliment!  I get stares from the opposite sex now & I feel great about myself for that! **I am married, but I love the attention**

What can you do NOW that you couldn't do BEFORE? It might seem silly ... but I can cross my legs *UNDER the table*!  I can ride a bike with my son, go all day without a freaking nap, I can walk up stairs without getting winded, I no longer think that 70 degrees is TOO HOT to go outside because I sweat like a hog.  
                                                       K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

Cindy T.
on 8/3/09 12:02 pm - Newaygo, MI
Hey Karen...I am closer to 7 months out, and I feel great!  I haven't had this much energy for at least 12 years! (Whi*****identally was the last time I lost 100 lbs, but eventually gained it all back.)  Soooo...here are my answers to the questions:

How are you doing? (weight & health wise) Terrific. Sleeping great. energetic, no more avoiding mirros and I am now actually able to wear my daughter's size 14 American Eagle jeans!!  (I was a size 24 just 7 months ago!)  I have lost a total of 112 lbs, but I still have 26 lbs to hit my doctor's goal (180) but I would personally like to lose another 10 beyond that and hover around 170 (figuring there will probably be up to a 10 lb bounce.)

Are you happy with your WLS decision? Absolutely!  I really don't miss any particular food at this point, and I seriously don't miss eating the amount of food I used to eat!  It totally grosses me out to see other people (non-wls) stuff their faces!  I used to be like that.  I heard a saying once that I love:  Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  How true.

What exercise are you doing? I walk 2.5 - 3 miles/5x per week and I stretch on those days, too.  I also ride my bike, play basketball with my kids, and do a lot more things than I have done in years! I have not yet started any strength training, and I know that I need to do that, but right now the walking seems to be enough. I think when the weather (here in MI) gets bad and I can't walk outside, I'll probably join a gym or go back to Curves and then I'll get my strength training in.

What does your diet look like?  I eat a good variety of foods and I actually feel like I eat a lot, however, my food journal (the daily plate) shows that I usually eat between 800 - 1200 calories per day. My focus is on protein (usually 70 - 90 g per day) chicken, beef, shrimp, turkey, ham...just about anything, and I eat a lot of veggies in my salads and grilled for supper.  I eat some fruit...not much, and I really don't eat too much bread/pasta (not more than 2 servings per week).  My snacks include protein cereal bars (South Beach Diet) 2% cheese sticks, light Activia yogurt, soy nuts, almonds, Edy's no-sugar added frozen Fruit bars (yum!) just to name a few.  I have been very satisfied with my food choices....there are tons of healthy choices out there to pick from!

WOW moment?
Funny...I ran into a friend at the farmers market that I hadn't seen in a few years and his jaw dropped and he screached: "Cindy....WOW!!!"  I was a little embarrased, especially with all the Amish people (vendors) looking at me.  It was pretty cool.  I also love to try on clothes in the store now. 

Walk/move my body without becoming breathless, look at myself in the mirror and not loathe what I see, go to bed at night with the knowledge that I treated myself with respect today and did GOOD things for my health instead of destructive things...I used to lay in bed at night feel miserable about the food choices I made. Not any more!!  I'm sure there are tons of other things, too.

Hope your journey goes well and that you have much success! 
Your fellow (Jan 09) sojourner!

Cindy
erin_akey
on 8/5/09 12:10 pm - AL
Hi Fellow January folks!

How are you doing? (weight & health wise)- i feel wonderful.  I am down over 90 ls since the day of my surgery and have so much energy and stamina.  I have never felt better.

Are you happy with your WLS decision?-  Only regret is not doing it sooner!

What exercise are you doing?- I try to swim 50 laps a day in my pool, plus I work out with a personal trainer who has really made me strong!  She is amazing.  Lots of cardio and some toning.

What does your diet look like?- ZERO sugar, no bread, white flour or pasta.  I do a lot of meat, fruits and veggies as well as beans and nuts.  Pretty much if God made it, i eat it, but if it is processed or has a ton of carbs, I stay away.  I dump on sugar, so there is not temptation there.  When I want a treat, I have some SF banana pudding that I put in a little cup with SF vanilla wafers.  I try to just eat a clean natural diet.  I have finally learned to look at food more for fuel than pleasure and that is SO liberating!

WOW moment?- there have been so many.  Being able to wear a plain ole XL from the non plus size department, having my kids tell me I'm pretty, feeling confident and strong, being able to go out with my husband and eat a few bites and push the plate away, being able to comfortably fit in chairs at concerts and other events, weighing less than my six foot six husband!  That was a big goal i just reached.  I could go on and on!  This whole process has been one BIG WOW!

What can you do NOW that you couldn't do BEFORE?- jog a mile, do ten pushups, shop in regular stores, swim 50 laps in the pool, wear a bathing suit in front of poeple, cross my legs with ease.
www.bariatricguru.com
Yes you CAN be a Bariatric Guru!
Tune in to FM TALK 106.5 Sundays from 12-1pm central for my show Fit LIving!  Listen live online at www.fmtalk1065.com .  We discuss life after weight loss surgery and living a healthy lifestyle!  Call in with questions for our expert guests!
"LIKE" us on Facebook- The Bariatric Guru

craclemom
on 8/19/09 12:02 pm
How are you doing? (weight & health wise)
I've lost 85 lbs from my highest.  My health is great...in fact I asked to see my surgeon last appt b/c I don't get to see him every time I go and the dr that was taking care of me said to may take a few minutes b/c he was working with the more difficult cases and I was an "easy" one.
Are you happy with your WLS decision?
ABSOLUTELY!!!
What exercise are you doing?
Walking 3 miles at least 3 times a week
What does your diet look like?
Mostly protein but seems to be sneakily increasing in carbs.
WOW moment?
Several...shopping in my mom's closet for the first time in my life, not having problems with legs rubbing together, etc.  But today was the convocation for our school district and I had lots of people tell me how good I looked and how I didn't need to get any smaller.
Walk without getting a rash.  Cross my legs.  See collar bones.  Wear clothes from a "regular" store.  Find things in a thrift store.  So much more...

251/145/145
Highest/Current/Goal     

taralynn1022
on 8/24/09 3:18 am

How are you doing? (weight & health wise) - Pretty good.. down 157lbs it will be a full 7 months this friday the 28th...and doing ok...I need to check myself..sometimes I go too long without eating. Almost passed out twice!

Are you happy with your WLS decision? - sure why not

What exercise are you doing? biking, walking, gym

What does your diet look like? i focus on proteins....cheese is my favorite right now and I stay away from bread..pasta  & rice.

WOW moment? - I can cross my legs...and ...some people don't recognize me

What can you do NOW that you couldn't do BEFORE? - cross my legs, and fit in a booth at a restaturant without worrying...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 1/2 years
GoldFish · 1 replies · 875 views
Roll call!!
iisme · 0 replies · 797 views
gaining it back
wichita_loser · 6 replies · 1642 views
Feeling stuck...
EllenFan · 2 replies · 931 views
New goals?
LastOptionAttorney · 1 replies · 854 views