How prepared are we?

ChristysJourney
on 12/30/09 1:15 am - Red Lion, PA
So my surgery date is Jan. 22.... And I am not a very good planner (not in my DNA)   So I am wondering what if anything you guys have done to prepare for life after surgery.  Have you looked into vitamins stocked up on protein and liquids for the first weeks at home?  Or have you, like me just thought about things you should be doing :)

Missy N.
on 12/30/09 2:36 am - Kalkaska
I am a good planner but I thought it was to soon to buy things for the surgery (mine is 20th!).  I have been looking at different kind of drinks to try and what people have been recommanding on OH.  So I am starting a list of ideas, and then a week before the surgery I will make sure that I have everything that I need for that week after surgery.
I am also looking ahead and trying to plan out a excerise routine that I can start easy on.  Got some ideas, but still trying to put things together.  My sister, my dad, and I are going to do a 5K in July so I am working towards that goal.  Good luck.  If you need any help please let me know.  I hate the unexpected, and try to plan things out. We will see how it goes.

Missy       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
HW 260 SW 249 (1/20/10)  CW 134
1st GW 150 (reached 8/29/10) 
2nd GW 135 (reached 12/1/10)
I really don't have another goal weight. :)

~Truffles~
on 12/31/09 6:42 am - VA
On December 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM Pacific Time, ChristysJourney wrote:
So my surgery date is Jan. 22.... And I am not a very good planner (not in my DNA)   So I am wondering what if anything you guys have done to prepare for life after surgery.  Have you looked into vitamins stocked up on protein and liquids for the first weeks at home?  Or have you, like me just thought about things you should be doing :)
I'll be honest, I started preparing for post-op life months before I even had a date!

I started buying protein samples, liquid vitamins, and other vitamins to stock up.

I have milk/lactose issues as a pre-op so I've been collecting protein that is fruit based or lactose free. So far so good.

Plus, I like catching good deals.

I have to endure a 3 week liquid diet after surgery, so having options at home was my goal. 

I also stocked up on Powerade Zero, bottled water, and sugar free (splenda sweetened) drink packs.

I constantly scour eBay, online drug stores, gnc.com, and amazon.com to find the best deals and affordable shipping prices.

I believe I'm ready.

But then, I have 14 more days to go too! Plenty of time to gather more liquid!

Renee
ChristysJourney
on 1/4/10 8:06 am - Red Lion, PA
 This is great advice!! Thanks

Sparklegigi
on 1/1/10 3:04 pm - La Verne, CA
I am a planner and I have been gathering for my Jan 15th surgery date.  The Dr.'s office has given me a whole pamphlet of advice for vitamins, after diet and other things I need to know.  I have a basket of all my vitamins ready to go.  I dont have my food for after quite yet, I am working on just getting enough food for the 14 day fast I began today.

I am going to buy my protein powder and drinks for after tomorrow.

I pour over this website to get all the info I need, like, what to take for the hospital and I will prob pack that bag next week.
ChristysJourney
on 1/1/10 5:15 pm - Red Lion, PA
This is good information... I will head to the vitamin store this weekend

Celia S.
on 1/4/10 7:23 am - Clarks Summit, PA
I am also not the best planner either, but for the last 6 months I have done a lot of researching and shake taste testing through my nut. Still have not found anything I like to much. I am doing a liquid diet and have not had any sugar. I have been taking regualr multi-vitamin, but went vitamin shopping lastnight for after surgery, although i found everything in chewables and not liquid so still on the hunt for that. Good luck!!
ChristysJourney
on 1/4/10 8:04 am - Red Lion, PA
I just had my last group meeting required by my insurance and the Hershey medical group doing my surgery.  I got a list of vitamins and foods for post-op so Im feeling a little more mentally prepared.... but I still need to force myself to plan, plan, plan... If I hear "not planning, is planning to fail" one more time I may just lose it!! Good luck to you too!

Most Active
Recent Topics