Books/ Reading

ilively
on 1/12/09 3:47 am
Part of my plan includes receiving and reading
Weight Loss Surgery: Finding the Thin Person Hiding Inside You by Barbara Thompson

I read it several times. I highlighted it. I handed it to my husband, son and exhusband (after highlighting) for them to read.  Maybe my highlights would give them some insight into how I feel/felt and some of the personal reasons I'm going for RNY.

This weekend I also purchased: 
The REAL Skinny On Weight Loss Surgery: An Indispensable Guide to What You Can REALLY Expect!! by Julie M. Janeway (Paperback - Aug 1, 2007)

Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery by Patt Levine, Michele Bontmpo-Saray, William B. Inabnet, and Meredith Urban-Skuros (Paperback - Jul 1, 2004)

Before & After, Revised Edition: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery by Susan Maria Leach (Paperback - Jun 26, 2007)

I've leafed through all of them. I've started reading The REAL Skinny ... and have started highlighting right away.  One disappointment is a bunch of typos in the current chapter. So far, nothing that affects the gist of the book.

Eating Well After WLS is a great book. Not only does it give calories, protein, carbs, fat, etc. listing, it tells WHEN it's recommended to eat for various surgeries (Lap Band, Bypass, BPD-DS [RNY]) and non surgical ... and HOW MUCH to eat.  For example: Patty Pan Squash Puree -- not recommended for any surgical plan before Week 5.  Week 5 and after, a serving is 1/4 to 1/2 cup.  Non-surgical serving: 1 cup.

Before & After has mixed reviews on Amazon.  What I read of the book while at the bookstore (I didn't just buy it on the internet, I had time to leisurely look it over), it looked like a nice book with some interesting recipes.  Many people complained about her 'gourmet tastes.'   I admit, I'm a foodie. I love food!  Post-surgery, I hope to still be able to enjoy the foods, just in smaller quantities, as I certainly don't plan on living on protein shakes for too long. ;)

What are YOU reading? 
twinkletoes7
on 1/12/09 11:43 pm - Timmins , Canada

Oh intresting books!!!!

I am currently reading Losing it and gaining my life back one pound at a time.....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hypertrophic scarring
JazzyOne9254 · 0 replies · 782 views
5 years out!
idgett · 2 replies · 770 views
TVP protein
singdoremi · 0 replies · 875 views
Bariatric Regain :(
Lissa Strombelline · 0 replies · 1107 views