Feb 9'ners How are your pre-op diets going???

MSW will not settle
on 1/29/09 12:20 am
Been off my PC since Sunday so I missed the start date post.  How's everyone doing at day 4? 

When I saw what some of your menus were I realized there was no feeling sorry for myself.  I have not gotten a day right yet, but I only cheated once.  Yesterday I had four approx 1 inch square pork rinds. Salty crunchy fatty protein and taste so good.  I'm away from the bad influences so I should be OK now with less temptation. 

The other days I did not finish my "free liquid" or my evening feeding.  Depending on my schedule I have had to back end the water in the evening.  There is just not enough room to drink so much at once. 

Here is my menu: 
-- Breakfast  8oz skim or 1% milk, 1/2 protein drink, 4oz fruit 
-- Mid morning 1 protein drink, 4 oz fruit of vegetables
-- Lunch 6-8 oz low fat or fat free yogurt, 4 oz fruit
-- Afternoon 1 oz nuts (or 2 tbs peanut butter or 1/2 cup beans or 1/2 cup hummus) 4 oz fruit or vegetables
-- Dinner 4 oz protein food (preferably lean chicken or fish), 4 oz vegetables with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup whole grain starch (or 1 slice whole grain bread, or 1/2 potato)
--  Evening  8oz skim or 1% milk, 1/2 protein drink, 4oz fruit 

Plus 100 oz free liquid - includes protein drinks and anything no carb and virtually calorie free. 

I'm trying to schedule my feedings every three hours starting at 6am and ending at 9pm.  

Catch me up on how its going!!!

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

mkdrgnfly
on 1/29/09 1:19 am - callaway, VA

Hey. I also have been MIA for a couple days so just getting back to checking in with everyone.  I am doing ok.. I am starving in the evenings though. And i have cheated just a little.. and Feel like I am going to screw my surgery up so i am trying REALLY REALLy hard.

I have been having a shake for breakfast a shake for lunch and a Healthy choice meal for dinner and water and no sugar low cal beverages. 

Monday I had a HC meal for dinner and did ok
Tuesday sucked and i felt like i was starving all day.. i had my HC meal for dinner and cheated .. crap-- i had a ramiken(probably about 1 cup) full of taco soup.
WEd. had my HC meal and probably amount the same amount of cheating, only it was speghetti..

I am really trying not to have anything extra today.  I feel like i am failing even before i begin...
its ok though, i can get back on track and keep our goals in mind ,right.

only 11 more days from today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoooohooo

border.gif picture by malkuth1026
ElleTee
on 1/29/09 1:47 am

I'm doing ok.  Happy to say I haven't cheated at all, unless combining two protein shakes together rather than spreading them out is cheating.  I had my pre-op apppointment today and I am down 14 pounds since my initial consultation.  I think 4-5 of that is a result of the pre-op diet so that is motivating.

I have had some strange moments, though.  There was some commercial on TV for Italian and I started obsessing about ravioli and almost started crying.  I often have a dull headache too and evenings are very rough. Yesterday I was stuck home all day due to a snow day and that was tough too but I did get through it without cheating.

I've said before, my diet is 4 protein shakes a day made with 1% milk, 2 servings of fruit, and for dinner 4 oz. of lean protein, one fat serving and vegetables.

Anyone worried about the Super Bowl?  I don't have a fave team in it but it's such a food-centered event.

We can do this, y'all!!

Lara

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/09 2:37 am
super bowl!!!! I told my hubby he had to go somewhere because I  can handle it!!!! I hate liquid diets but he understood!!! I think I might take the kids to the movies!!! but damn that popcorn smell is enough to drive me crazy!!!! so maybe its a rent a movie jammies day???
MSW will not settle
on 1/29/09 3:37 am
I'm skipping the Superbowl party this year.  I'm no fan but I go for the good company. 

I'll be in the South where even the vegetables have meat and are too high in fat.  They use smoked turkey instead of something like ham hocks, but I'm worried about portions.  There will be a big Sunday dinner buffet and without weighing my food I won't make it. 

I have been preparing my meals and snacks ahead like home made frozen meals so there is no foraging for food.  During my phase one diet I twice went out to eat and over did it.  If I had been better at phase 1,  this phase would not be as hard now. 

Some friends and I will do something the afternoon of the game then we'll part as they are off to the party.  I'm going to fix something to send along and go home.

You are so right we can do this and I'm going to avoid sabotaging myself.  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

Nicole S.
on 1/29/09 5:22 am - Fort Worth, TX
My doc is having me to a 7 day liquid diet. I am supposed to start it this coming monday.  I will probably stick with the smoothie routine, and some soups.

Count down,,,,,11 days

Nicole

God doesn't give you the people you want, He gives you the people you NEED. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you and to make you into the person you were meant to be...

Lianne C.
on 1/29/09 6:50 am - Garden City, MI
I am lucky I guess, my doctor does not have a mandatory 2 week liquid diet. I only have to drink clear liquids all day the day before surgery. I am though doing a protein shake for breakfast, lunch, then I eat dinner. Even that is hard though, but I am doing it. I do try to put a couple high protein snacks in there too.

Just in case anyone has not found a good protein powder, I found that I really actually enjoy the Nectar Chocolate truffle, and I mix it with the cherry flavor. It taste like a liquid Cherry cordial. If you don't like sweet, you won't like it.... I LOVE SWEETS, so it works real good for me!

Good Luck everyone
Lianne
Kathy P.
on 1/29/09 3:31 pm - Port Orchard, WA
My doc didn't even ask me at my pre-op about a diet beforehand. Like Lianne, he has me on liquids the day before. I'm doing shakes and one healthy meal at dinner time though. It's been a bit rough. I work with pertty much all women, in an intense environment. I was surrounded by CHOCOLATE today! And yes, I did have a couple of small pieces. Then I realized how crappy I'd feel if I did that AFTER my RNY.

The toughest part, and what I will struggle with, is that I love sweets as well. SO WITH THAT SAID, Lianne, where did you find your protein Nectar??
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
MSW will not settle
on 1/29/09 10:12 pm

Lianne & Kathy I envy you both.  You will spend an hour each on my love to hate list where I put people I am jealous of until I stop being a big baby and get over it.    This pre op diet thing is messing with my head.     

This morning I woke up worried that I would not loose any weight on the pre op diet and have to postpone my surgery because of a fatty liver.  It has happened to one person with a Feb09 date.  I really don't want the set back.  Now I'm thinking about doing the ketosis diet for three days just to make sure I've dropped a few pounds. 

I lost 14 lbs in five days when the nutritionist had me do this to qualify for surgery.  Its much stricter than the pre op diet.  Nine ounces of lean protein with three cups of broth plus a potassium supplement.  I was so hungry It felt like my stomach was eating its way through to the outside.

I know I should be following instructions to the letter which I did yesterday.  Hooray for me!  Still, since I know I totally blew the phase 1 pre op diet and lost no weight, I'm getting antsy.   I understand how upset the woman who had her surgery postponed must be and I don't want to go there.  I know I'm ready but is my liver ready?  Its time to talk myself down from the ledge before I loose it. 

Anyhoo, did someone say chocolate?  I hope that stuff is 100% whey protein isolate cause that's the only type I can use.  I'm using some bland vanilla stuff that meets the requirement and was reasonably priced.  They all looked hard to get down so I bought something simple. 

So Lianne, Where to for the protein Nectar? 

Lianne C.
on 1/29/09 11:36 pm - Garden City, MI
Yes you can order them through this website. I bought them when I went into the hospital for my pr op appointment. The great thing is that my hospital is a bariatric hospital so they have a whole store with all this protein powder, and protein drinks, bars. also supplements. The drinks are indeed what you need. I hope this link works! I know there are other places you can get it, but this is where I got it.

The best part is there are fruit flavors, like Fuzzy Navel ( I have not tried it yet, but I am sure I will) It is like a milkshake!!! They are really good!

https://barixclinicsstore.3dcartstores.com/Nectar-Sweets_p_12.html
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hypertrophic scarring
JazzyOne9254 · 0 replies · 786 views
5 years out!
idgett · 2 replies · 775 views
TVP protein
singdoremi · 0 replies · 878 views
Bariatric Regain :(
Lissa Strombelline · 0 replies · 1113 views