Surgery Cuts....

mssunshine77
on 2/8/09 1:57 pm
Can anyone shed some light on how soon after surgery, you are able to shower? Thank you. Maria
newbarb2
on 2/8/09 3:07 pm
As soon as you get home and OH BOY does it feel great.

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/09 1:17 am - Sevierville, TN
I showered in the hospital the day after surgery. The more you are up and moving, the better. I would suggest a shower chair for when you get home. I find mine very helpful. A nurse will help you with a shower unless you have someone with you you prefer to have help you. I sat in the shower with a hand held shower head. It was wonderful. I was told to gently cleanse the surgery area with soap and water, including the drain area. When I got out and dried off they changed the rest of my dressings. Dressings are light except for my drain. It is heavy gauze to catch the drainage from around the tube. The rest of my incisions were only covered with bandaids.

Good luck.
Karen
mssunshine77
on 2/9/09 6:37 am

Sunshine Heart, Thak you for your response Can you enlight me with the "drain" ? Smiles. Maria

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/09 11:43 am - Sevierville, TN
Not everyone has a  drain and some only have them for a short period. Mine is in the top incision on my right side. It is simply a rubber tube attached to a rubber squeeze bottle. The bottle has a pop top for emptying. It is just to allow excess fluid to drain for the surgery site.
Karen
mssunshine77
on 2/9/09 2:54 pm
thank you Sunshine Heart - Maria
fluffyNcute
on 2/9/09 5:23 am - Beantown, MA
I was able to shower once the drain port was out and that was on my last day at the hospital so I got cleaned up before I left and went to get my meds and all.
mssunshine77
on 2/9/09 6:40 am
Hi FluffyNcute, your information is very helpful and greatly appreciated Can you give me info. on the drain port??? Was it painful when it was removed:) Maria
mssunshine77
on 2/9/09 2:56 pm
i noticed that your surgery was just recent.
How do you feel today? Can you walk around or drive? Maria
fluffyNcute
on 2/9/09 3:00 pm - Beantown, MA
Hi Maria

I feel better as each day goes on. No there is no driving allowed for a few weeks and yes walking and being motivated is a must so you don't get deep vein thrombosis etc.(blood clots). You want to stay mobile to keep the bood flowing as much as possible.
Cathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hypertrophic scarring
JazzyOne9254 · 0 replies · 792 views
5 years out!
idgett · 2 replies · 777 views
TVP protein
singdoremi · 0 replies · 881 views
Bariatric Regain :(
Lissa Strombelline · 0 replies · 1121 views