Getting Nervous

sbug
on 2/8/09 10:46 pm - NY

Well my surgery date is approaching rather quick.  After 1/1/2 years in the program I am finally having surgery on Feb 19th.  At least I think I am.  I have to go to pre op on the 11th so I asume if everything goes well on that day I will have the surgery on the 19th. 

I was wondering what the pre op testing is.  What do they test for?  How long does it take? What would they have to find to cancel the surgery?  At first I was so nervous that my insurance approval would not come in on time but I know I have been approved now I am nervous that they will find something wrong with me and I won't be able to have the surgery. 

Then I was also wondering about the after effects of surgery.  I am not so nervous about the surgery itself but rather the effects afterward. Am I going to lose all of my hair?  Will it grow back?  How much lose skin will I have?  OH boy am I getting nervous.

twinkletoes7
on 2/8/09 11:22 pm - Timmins , Canada
I dont wanna lose my hair!

That aside it does grow back. I am so nervous to!
Markrb
on 2/8/09 11:46 pm - MA
When I went for mine I needed some radiology tests upper GI, ultrasound on my organs, full chest x-ray. They are looking for any abnormalities, ulcers etc.  Then a bunch of blood, about 14 tubes to test for all sort of stuff. After that an EKG and Ultrasound on the heart to make sure that is healthy.

When all is said and done, your getting a fairly comprehensive workup and can feel very comfortable that you are in good shape to have the surgery.  Mine came back with no problems and I'm go for Wednesday this week.

I've heard the hair loss is more like "shedding" than loosing all of your hair, the loose skin I'll take, it's better than the carrying the pounds.

Best of luck with your surgery.
anewme409
on 2/9/09 12:22 am - MD
Lap Band on 02/16/09 with
My surgery is on Feb 16th I too am getting a little nervous.  Well pre op test if a bunch of blood test x-rays and other test to make your surgery of smoothly.  Mine took all day
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/09 1:11 am - Sevierville, TN

My preop testing included bloodwork, an EKG, and chest x-rays. I had already had an ultrasound on my gallbladder and an EGD. Oh, yeah, they also tested my urine. No big deal. I'm not sure what all they were looking for with the bloodwork but I wasn't worried because I had just had labs at my pcp and everything was fine.

Good luck.

Karen

sbug
on 2/10/09 1:02 am - NY

Thank you all for your replies. Today I am not as nervous as yesterday.  Right now I am really looking forward to  getting the surgery over with and then being  able to start losing weight on my way to a healthy person.  I so look forward to having more energy and being able to go to the gym with out forcing myself to go. 

Good luck to everyone to everyone

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hypertrophic scarring
JazzyOne9254 · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years out!
idgett · 2 replies · 777 views
TVP protein
singdoremi · 0 replies · 880 views
Bariatric Regain :(
Lissa Strombelline · 0 replies · 1118 views