After surgery? Are you still hungry?

lindavip
on 2/9/09 7:40 am - Moreno Valley, CA
My surgery was a week ago and I am still on full liquids.  I am STILL hungry.  It is so frustrating!  I thought that part of our stomach would not be working anymore?  Anyone else?  I keep thinking he made some mistake when he did my surgery.

Also, I weighed on my scale and at most, I have lost 2 lbs!  HUH?  How is that possible?  I will be weighted officially at the doctor tomorrow, but I am prepared to be very disappointed.

Advice?

24 lbs lost prior to surgery
Stephanie L.
on 2/9/09 10:03 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/17/09 with
From what I've heard the first couple of weeks, people are still hungry, but after that, they're not. As for the weight loss, you might still be carrying fluid from the IV?
Contact me at [email protected] for information about the Belleville area support group :)  or visit our new OH group page http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/quinte/

lindavip
on 2/9/09 10:14 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I pray you are right Stephanie!  Thanks

trouble256
on 2/9/09 11:22 am - Athens, AL

I had my surgery the same day as you, and I actually have the opposite problem.  I have to remind myself to eat or I wont....thats not good! I was on clear liquid for a week, now I just got to start full liquids.

What full liquids are you eating?  I started with sf pudding, applesauce....thats about it right now, I am trying to take new things slow.

Dont worry about the weight, everyone loses at different speeds, just because some people lose 15lbs and others lose 2, doesnt mean you are not doing something right, maybe they had more to lose than you or....it was water weight....whatever.  Just dont worry about all that stuff, make sure your following your drs orders, getting as close to 64 ozs of fluids a day and enough protein at this point.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
fluffyNcute
on 2/9/09 11:39 am - Beantown, MA
Hello Linda,
 I get that hungry feeling on occassion then I get myself a pudding or yogurt and I notice I can only eat half of it.I felt my sugeon didn't fix me there for a moment cause I was craving all this food.I haven't gone off my liquid diet and I have another two weeks to go. Don't get discouraged when you go in tomorrow let your doctor know this and maybe you can get onto pureed foods etc sometimes individuals advance faster than others.Smile and keep your chin up.Just so you know thats a lot of water weight IV fluids etc your losing weight dont allow a scale to sadden you or even make you feel like your not doing what your suppose to be doing.
lindavip
on 2/9/09 11:47 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Thanks to all!  You guys bless me so much!<< that is a cyber hug!

waitinggame
on 2/10/09 4:21 am - Bowie, MD
I'm in that not hungry, not full, not quite sure what the sensation is phase. I think I am hungry then I talk to my friend who had it a couple years ago and she says "Oh goodness no, no way, I couldn't even force myself to eat." Ugh. I also have heard of people wrapping up their first week gaining since the fluids at the hospital can do that, so hang in there!

Hopefully we'll have some more concrete feelings of fullness and hunger in a week or two when we are all healed.

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

lindavip
on 2/10/09 9:56 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I have progressed to the soft food stage!  Woo Hoo!  I had cottage cheese tonight and I am in pure heaven and NOT hungry for the first time in over a week.  The doctor said I was hungry since I am not getting in enough protein.  I had to admit I was only getting maybe 30 grams, when 60 is the surgeon's required minimum.  It is hard to get enough when all you are eating or actually drinking is LIQIUDS.  I mean, I can only drink so many protein shakes.

Also, I did lose, but just 4.5 lbs.  Better than ZERO that my scale showed.   I guess, as always, my weight loss will be slow-slow-slow.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

shelbadobbs
on 2/10/09 10:03 pm - TX
Congratulations on the good news! I find it funny how this process makes us totally warped in our thinking! Before you entered this process I bet losing 4 pounds in a week would be absolutely AMAZING! Now after going through this process 4 pounds is losing slowly! lol. I think that you have done a great job sticking to what your surgeon has told you and this commitment is paying off! 4 pounds is a great start in one week, and don't lose your motivation to keep going! I only hope that 6 days from now when I have my surgery that I am as lucky as you have been in your journey! I can't wait to join you on that loser's bench!
lindavip
on 2/10/09 10:07 pm - Moreno Valley, CA
Thank you Shelba!  What kind things to say.  You are rignt. But in my warped mind, I think I should lose at least 10 lbs a week living on liquids.  But that is why I struggled losing weight (one reason) is that weight always came off much too slow and piled on way to fast!

I will add  you to my prayers for an easy surgery and quick recovery!

Linda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hypertrophic scarring
JazzyOne9254 · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years out!
idgett · 2 replies · 777 views
TVP protein
singdoremi · 0 replies · 880 views
Bariatric Regain :(
Lissa Strombelline · 0 replies · 1118 views