My glass is more than half full again

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/10 1:02 am
I was on the phone with my Mom and discussing how disappointed I was that I had only lost a pound this week after trying so hard.  That makes three for the last two weeks.  She reminded me that this was what you are supposed to be losing when losing on a normal weight loss plan.  She asked me to go back and reread my own journals.  I was more than a little shocked.  When I weighed 50 pounds more than I do now, I bought what I considered to be the first sexy dress of my life.  When I weighed 20 pounds more than I do now, I went to my brother-in-laws wedding and danced my heart out.  I remember thinking that I was the sexiest thing on the planet.  Funny thing is, I thought that I was at goal when that happened.  I wasn't.  I have been texting on the failed surgery site.   I had to go to see my GI doc for an appt.  I was complaining about my "failed surgery", when he looked puzzled and asked me what I meant by that.  My surgery is considered a roaring success.  The goal by medical standards is to have lost 40% of excess weight and to maintain 50% of that loss at 5 years out.  My weight doc had never given me those numbers, so I looked them up.  The facts were right!  I lost over 100% of the weight I was supposed to lose and have only gained back 16% of what I lost.  I am NOT a failure.  That being said, i will keep on with my new "eat right and feel better" kick.  I need to lose more to help my hip.  But I feel better about me.  Everyone tells me I look fantastic and I have just been blowing them off, as I felt I had let myself and eveyone who supported, me down badly.  I honestly thought they were just saying these things to make me feel better, but they were right.  I was so proud of myself when I had lost down to this size.  How do we lose sight of these things?  What clicks in our heads that makes us go back to beating ourselves up again.  How could I not realize that I am still 250 pounds smaller than I was?  NO MORE, my glass is half full again.  I will lose what I need to, but with a smile on my face and a renewed feeling of accomplishment.  Anyone reading this that feels they have let themselves down, take a step back and reevaluate your situation.  I'll bet you are a lot better off than you think.  Love you all, Crissie
pammy157
on 2/21/10 3:24 am - colchester, CT
RNY on 03/30/04 with
my doctor said i'd lose 80 pounds after the surgry i lost 125 and have kept off 110 of that for almost 6 years.

yes your right i am and all of us are successes. never did think of it that way before!
thank you
reenieb
on 2/23/10 4:17 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I clearly remember Aranow telling me I "might" get down to 200 (from 360) and if I did, I should be content with that. I clearly remember looking him in the eye and in response, saying, "You don't know me..." Now my weight is hovering between 165 and 168 - and I hate it, I feel awful. I am hellbent to get back to 150, at the very least... don't think I'll ever see that 140 again, though. More than anything, I want to be fit, strong, and healthy. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
reenieb
on 2/22/10 1:53 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I don't think a Spring Breeze would have been so refreshing to me as reading your post - I adore you, girlfriend! Thanks for being so generous in sharing your high spirits. Keep doing what you're doing - you are a real inspiration! Love ya, Maureen
reenieb
on 2/22/10 1:54 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
P.S., Crissie - I didn't know you had lost that much weight! Would you mind sharing your stats - pre-surgery weight, day-of-surgery weight, lowest weight achieved, and where you're at now! If I were you I'd be screaming these numbers from the rooftops!
(deactivated member)
on 2/22/10 5:51 am
Hi, Sweetie!  No I don't mind!  I weighed in at right at 500 pounds.  I know I still find it scary.  I lost down to 384 on my own so that I could safely have the surgery.  I was very active and believe it or not I had no other medical probs that I knew of at the time other than the hip.  I had only had one replacement and had no idea of the road ahead.  I lost down to 200 in about another 8 months.  I stayed at 200 forever which thrilled my doc, he had said that I wouldn't get below 250.  I did get down to190, but only for a short time as I was told to stop and try to eat more,  (I'm 5'10" and have seriuos skin issues).  So altogether, I had originally lost 300 pounds.  I gained back to 268 and am now 254 and still losing.  I am eating healthy and excercising as much as I can.  I had pics on my site at one time, but they seem to be gone.  If I can find them I'll put them on.  The pic on my page is about 210 or 220.  So yeah I've kept off 250 pounds 6 years out.  I wore 6x or size 34 (not the waist size mind you) pants and 56 dresses.  I was wearing 14 dresses and jeans when I was smallest.  Right now I wear a 1x or size 18-20.  So in retrospect, not too bad I guess.  I would have killed to wear and 18, no I would have killed to wear a 28.  Sometimes I just need to put things in the right perspective.  I went from having to buy my clothes at the Lane Bryant catalogue oversized section, to being able to buy stuff anywhere.  Gosh, I so love Coldwater Creek!  I used to look at their catalogue and put together the outfits I liked from what I could find that fit me.  I admit it, clothes are my vice.  Always have been.  Love ya Crissie
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years ... yesterday
mo21012 · 0 replies · 849 views
Ten Years Today
reenieb · 0 replies · 964 views
10 years
Virginia H · 0 replies · 660 views
10YearsToday!
wlsurvivor · 2 replies · 805 views
9 years plus 1 day
pammy157 · 0 replies · 786 views