Recent Posts

reenieb
on 11/6/08 1:35 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Topic: RE: Haven't Rambled in a While
And you're not cranky. You're sharing yourself with us. That's a gift. M.
reenieb
on 11/6/08 1:34 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Topic: RE: Haven't Rambled in a While
Oh, these stories take me way back to my baby powder days... no matter how many baths, no matter how strong the soap, I could never get rid of that super-fat-lady smell; had to pour baby powder all over the place. I hated buying it all the time, I remember clearly thinking about how sad it made me feel, thinking "... this is for new moms with beautiful new babies, not for losers like me who can't keep themselves clean." Oh, those dark, dark days... As for the addiction - yes, it is every bit as deadly and destructive as anything else. Personally, I'm white-knuckling it right now, at this very moment... M.
reenieb
on 11/5/08 11:43 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Topic: RE: Warning for us all
Well, I hope you don't mind but I literally cut-and-pasted your post and sent it in an email message to my doctor; he already has me scheduled for blood work to get my D levels checked, and some other panels. Thanks for this! I'm thinking this might really be connected to the leg cramping - it's really terrible for me... I hope you feel better soon! M.
KimberlyH
on 11/5/08 10:56 pm
Im not having the cramps...yet...but I have been faithfully been taking my calcium citrate with Vit D-3 and my D still is showing up low.  I have been taking a double dose, more then what is recommended  from the get go... so I dont know why this is happening. As for the High Iron level well that one blows my mind away...I eat a low iron diet, dont drink and have no family history of it. I know after wls 9 times out of 10 it is usually low in patients, but Im having the opposite effect. Im curious to see what my doctor has to say on Monday...Ill keep you all posted.

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe"  ----"Anatole France"

"Joyously grasp the ties that bind you, for they lead straight to the heart"---"Wm."

Kimberly...

reenieb
on 11/5/08 10:17 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Yes, the Vitamin D level is one of those secret time bomb issues because if your calcium level is coming back "normal" - your PCP or regular doctor is likely to say everything is peachy. But the fact is, if you are deficient in Vitamin D, your body is actually leaching calcium from your bones - a very, very bad thing - which is why your calcium level is coming back "normal" !! In other words, your body is eating your bones up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner because it is starving for calcium - all because the system is not absorbing Vitamin D. But no one knows this unless it is specifically being tested. Your WLS surgeon knows to do this - or should. But regular doctors tend to dismiss this. Connie, are you having any unusual leg or other muscle cramping going on associated with this disease? In the last month or so, I am having these debilitating episodes of cramps in my thighs, calves, and feet. Last night, I was screaming and sobbing because my thigh cramped up so badly. Is anyone else having this at all? Sounds like we all should get our D level checked out! There's so much about this surgery post-life concerning health issues that we simply don't know or understand yet. Yikes. M.
reenieb
on 11/5/08 10:10 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Topic: RE: OT: Need Garden Advice
Hhmmmm -- find some fecal matter of a mortal enemy of the cat and use it as composing material in the garden??? I haven't a clue - sorry!
reenieb
on 11/5/08 10:07 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Topic: RE: vote for me!!!!
Here's hoping health insurance reform is just over the horizon, my friend... M.
reenieb
on 11/5/08 10:06 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Topic: RE: Hi all, I know I have been AWOL
Hi Ken, it sure is good to see you again. Prayers sent to your friends and their families. Are you still keeping up with your physical routines? I know that you were really involved with fitness, you really inspired me with your stories - would love to hear how you're doing with all that at this stage of the game because I've certainly lost my edge; just not nearly as motivated with fitness as I used to be. How about you? Maureen
Margo M.
on 11/5/08 10:21 am - Elyria, OH
Topic: RE: vote for me!!!!
mike...i don't care which party you voted for and i am not blaming either party right now - i simply need health care--and i need to be able to get a policy written--my experinece in this was losing my  (quiet excellent and free to us) health care in feb this year when michael's employer let him go -and so when i try to buy health care i am told that i cannot get it due to my (pre existing condition) wls.....well- no-that's not right--i CAN get it-just not til march 2009 --i must be 5 years out! that sux....i need my labs done and i think i am having thyroid issues....and i just pray that i don't get an obstruction or need my bg taken out!

so that is my issue--
i agree the whole system stinks and i do not have an easy answer for it--i am not po'd at you and i hope no one else will be--i simply wanted each of us to exercise our right to vote- our responsibility to vote!

on a diff note- michael had to be taken by ambulance from one hospital to another this summer--- the bill was 975.00---we just got another bill from them saying that they sent to ins (after i hadt o supply info for him) and ins denied it( which i don't understand) --soooo--if i want to pay in full right now i can save 10%--i wanna know which oriface they expect me to pull $900+ out of--i am thinking $5.00 a month is what they will get which is more than some of my creditors are getting right now!

that is a whole other soap box i could get on but won't-not tonite anyhow! and maureen accused me of being mellow!!hehe

good to see you posting guy!!!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

MikeyLikesIt
on 11/5/08 10:03 am - Guilford, CT
Connie my dear;

You certainly don't seem to be catching a break these days. I'm sorry to hear about all of these troubles. Thanks for the info on the vitamin D. I'll make sure that my doc checks on my next physical. For what it's worth, the calcium supplement I've been taking has been Calcium Citrate with "D". I'll be interested to see if this has spared me the low D issue. As for the Osteomalacia and Osteitis Fibrosa......please educate the ignorant.....what are they?

Mike
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years ... yesterday
mo21012 · 0 replies · 845 views
Ten Years Today
reenieb · 0 replies · 962 views
10 years
Virginia H · 0 replies · 658 views
10YearsToday!
wlsurvivor · 2 replies · 801 views
9 years plus 1 day