Surgery date March 8th RNY-Lap!!!!

Highly Favored
on 2/14/05 11:25 pm - Alexandria, VA
Finally, after dealing with Kaiser all these months I have a date. I am starting to be a little scared. What if I can't get in all the protein and water? What if something goes wrong how will I take care of my daughter and 2 dogs post-op? I have been overweight all my adult life can this possibly work for me? I think too much.....
MikeyLikesIt
on 2/15/05 2:58 am - Guilford, CT
Hi there; I'm visiting from the March, 2004 message board. I had to respond to this post because on the day of your surgery, I will be celebrating my 1 year anniversary. I had Open RNY on March 8th of last year and one year ago at this time, I was going through the same worries as you are now. I have a wife, 2 daughters and a dog who caused me to worry about potential problems in surgery. While I can't predict the future, I can tell you that my surgery went off without a hitch and I consider March 8th to be the day of my Rebirth!! I lost 39 lbs. between meeting my surgeon and the day of surgery. Since the surgery, I've lost 110 more lbs. and feel better than I have in years!! The best advice that I can give to you is to follow all of your surgeon's reccommendations as closely as you can and you'll do just fine. I was up and walking the halls in the hospital within hours of surgery and I haven't stopped walking since. This is very pleasing to both my wife and my dog who both walk with me. I must say that in the beginning, they had to slow their pace to allow me to keep up. Now they need to hustle to keep up with me!!!! In the beginning, getting enough protein and liquid is difficult, but you adjust in time. Just do the best that you can and everything will work out. Believe me, I have always been overwieght too and have tried every diet known to man, but this "Tool" has been a life- saver for me. In 11 months, my blood pressure is totally boring its so normal; my cholesterol has gone from well over 200 to 140 and my C-PAP machine is collecting dust in my closet. To make a long story short... if I had to do it over, would I?? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck on your "Big Day" and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Mike
Crystal H.
on 2/15/05 8:43 am - Edmond, OK
My date is March 1 and I too am becoming nervous. The more I think about it the more nervous I become but I guess we have to have faith that everything will work out fine. Good Luck!!! Crystal
Patty D.
on 2/16/05 5:21 am - Timonium, MD
Hi I'm scheduled for 3/8 and am trying to review everything. Just looking at a 2 or 3 oz cup blows my mind. Do you have any list of post op nutritiion ? do you intend on taking a supplement protien? What are you taking to the hospital? Any help you can give me I'll happily accept. This is such a huge decision and change. RNY lap for me too Good luck. We can do this!! Patty
Highly Favored
on 2/16/05 10:27 pm - Alexandria, VA
Hi Patty Duke, I can't seem to concentrate on much of anything except my upcoming surgery. I don't have a list of post op nutrition, I'm hoping the surgeon will provide detailed step by step instructions of what I can and cannot eat. I know I will initially be on a liquid diet for like the first 2 wks or so trying to get in all my water and protein. I will be taking a product called UNJURY for my protein. I will be taking with me to the hospital: chapstick, brush, hand sanitizer, several pair of undies, sanitary pads, robe and slippers. I think that's it. What about you? What are you taking? Patty, I will be thinking about you on OUR date and hoping all is going well. I still can't believe I am doing this. Yikes!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
11 Years
Therese L · 0 replies · 460 views
checking in- 10 years out!
Therese L · 3 replies · 550 views
Checking in -9 year anniversary
Therese L · 1 replies · 641 views
nine years today
Ruby R. · 0 replies · 561 views