Howdy Fellow "Marchers"

MikeyLikesIt
on 2/15/05 3:22 am - Guilford, CT
I am also a "Marcher"... one of last year's models. I had Open RNY on March 8,2004 and am looking forward to my 1 year anniversary! At my first meeting with my surgeon, I weighed in at 354 lbs. I now weigh around 205 and I hope to be below 200 lbs by my anniversary date. I probably haven't been under 200 lbs. since grammar school!!!! I have more energy than I've had in years and my blood pressure and cholesterol are normal and my sleep apnea is a thing of the past. Not only that, I'm no longer buying my clothes in the "Big and Tall" store!! I could ramble on for hours about how much this surgery has meant for me, but let me just say that my life is renewed and I couldn't be happier! Also my wife and 2 daughters are no longer worrying about my dying before my time. I know that now that you have your dates, you are probably dealing with being excited and very nervous at the same time. I just wanted to share a little of my experience with you in the hopes that it eases your minds. This is not the "Easy Way Out" because you need to make major changes in your lives, but the rewards are great and I haver never regretted my decision to start on this "Journey". If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or visit the March 2004 board to see what the "Post-Op Marchers" are doing. Best of luck to all of you!! Mike
lillbitofsin
on 2/15/05 3:46 am - East Stroudsburg, PA
Hi Mike! Congrats on your success so far sounds like you are doing a great job. Thanks for posting! I am scheduled for 3/16 and about ready to chew me nails to the bone with nerves. Its nice to hear from other people who are about a year out... Thanks again
MikeyLikesIt
on 2/15/05 11:57 pm - Guilford, CT
Hi Robin; It's only natural to be nervous about taking such a big step. I found that I was nervous until the "Big Day" got close and then I just relaxed and felt secure in my decision. On the day of surgery, I was more relaxed than anyone else in my family. I was ready to go!! I hope that your experience is the same and that your surgery is as trouble- free as mine. I was blessed with no complications and wish the same for you and everyone else on this board!! Take care and be well. Mike
Sherry B.
on 2/17/05 11:57 am - Michigan City, IN
Wow, thats first...wow! I am so happy for your "loss" I dream about what it will be like when I am at my 1 year anniversary! I like you have 2 daughters and not only do they worry about my health but I worry about theirs. They are both overweight for their age, and I see me all over again. I am having this surgery for them as much as for myself. I want to get out and get involved and encourage them before they are where I am. I've also been accused of taking the "easy way out" and I just say check out AMOS and then come talk to me. Good luck on your continued journey... Sherry
MikeyLikesIt
on 2/19/05 8:29 am - Guilford, CT
Hi Sherry; Thanks for your nice reply. My older daughter is as thin as a rail, but the younger one tends toward being overweight. I hope that my experience with this surgery and my life-long struggles with my weight will serve as an example for her so that she doesn't make the same bad choices that I did. When I read the posts on your board from all of the people anticipating their surgery and wondering what life will be like later, it brings back so many memories of my pre- op thoughts and worries. I wish you all of the best for a trouble- free surgery and a quick recovery. I hope that you find this journey as rewarding as I have. Best of luck!! Mike
Most Active
Recent Topics
11 Years
Therese L · 0 replies · 460 views
checking in- 10 years out!
Therese L · 3 replies · 550 views
Checking in -9 year anniversary
Therese L · 1 replies · 641 views
nine years today
Ruby R. · 0 replies · 561 views