Need serious advice...

shoregurl
on 2/26/09 12:07 pm - toms river, NJ
I'm scheduled on March 2 for RNY. Last night we got a phone call from Puerto Rico that my father in law has had a heart attack and he's in ICU. We waited through the night to hear more news. This evening my husband got a phone call that his father went into respiratory failure and is now on a ventillator. Needless to say he and his brother are flying out asap. I told my husband I want to postpone my surgery and go with him. He said, no way. He said we have gone through so much and come so far that cancelling is not an option. I have the support of my mother, but I don't know what to do. I understand his opinion, but I'm worried about him. I cannot believe all this is happening now.
What would you all do?
 Shannon  

darby12
on 2/26/09 2:12 pm - deptford, NJ
Dear Shannon,
So Sorry to hear about your father in law.  You are in such a bad position.  I would not want to make your decision.  Your family is in my prayers
Carolyn
Brittnie S.
on 2/26/09 9:53 pm - NV
I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to write down the pros and cons for postponing and going with your family and then not having your husband here for your surgery and staying. It might seem weird but then again think about how you will feel if you aren't there and something happens to your father-in-law (I pray that nothing does) but it sounds like he is really very sick right now. Good luck and your family will be in my prayers.

Emily C.
on 2/26/09 11:01 pm - Claremore, OK

Wow, what a tough decision to make. I will be saying prayers for you and your family. You will do what is best I am sure.
EMily

Dawny R.
on 2/27/09 2:33 am - Long Beach, CA
My prayers too are with you its a tuff decision.....I would want to postpone too but I think in the end I would go thru with the surgery, its not the way you wanted it but at least for me I dont want to put if off any longer.

Good Luck to you...........

shoregurl
on 2/27/09 5:06 am - toms river, NJ
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I am going through with the sugery. My father in law is in critical but stable condition and my husband is there. He is still very adament about me going through with it, as is my mother in law. She said if my father in law new I was thinking of cancelling, he would be so mad. So with the support of my family and friends and my fellow OH members, I am scheduled for surgery at 1:00 Monday. I have to be at the hospital at 11:00. Wish me luck and thank you so much!
 Shannon  

sanjali23
on 2/28/09 10:28 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14
I'd postpone. It's not good to be stressed out on surgery day and your hubby will need you. If it gets worst God forbid you will need to be there for support

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

guynnm
on 2/28/09 8:34 pm - TN
Sorry you are having to go through this but if their wish is for you to continue then that is what I would do!! Good Luck!
Melody L.
on 2/27/09 9:24 pm - Keizer, OR
I'm so sorry about your father in law, like the others said that's a tough situation to be in.  I would probably respect my husband's wishes and go ahead with the surgery too.  Just as you have your mother where you are, he has family with him to get through whatever happens as well.  I hope your father in law gets better soon.   Hope you have an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery on Monday!!  
~Melody~  5'6" Tall, 42 years old

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 8:59 am
I'm glad to hear your father in law is doing better. I hope his condition keeps improving. And what a blessing in support from your family. And your surgery is right around the corner, how exciting! I hope everything goes smoothly and your back at home in no time. Best wishes!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 yrs - Checking in
Chootles · 2 replies · 1075 views
Happy third surgiversary!
BobF4 · 2 replies · 1102 views
2 years Post Op
Brittnie S. · 0 replies · 965 views
Success?????
viar · 5 replies · 1053 views