Post op update

Emily C.
on 3/10/09 11:56 am, edited 3/10/09 11:57 am - Claremore, OK

Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you know what was going on.
My surgery went well and I came home Tuesday after the surgery on Monday.
Tuesday night I developed a very high fever 105.0 and I was having a hard time breathing and my abdomen was distended. George called the surgeon and he had me go back to the hospital. they thought that I may have developed a leak. I went in and they did a CT scan and found that I did not have a leak, but I did have a collapsed lung. The Surgeon said I probably picked up a virus before the surgery and that it budded after I got weak.
So I was in the hospital until Saturday afternoon. I had to be on Oxygen and have breathing treatments,  I was also given morphine every 2 hours as the pain was very intense. I don't remember a lot about it because of the morphine I am sure, but George never left my side. I have such an awesome husband.
I am doing pretty good now. I still have some pain on the left side of my Abdomen and it can be pretty intense at times. That is the biggest incision and it is pretty bruised up. I am having trouble getting all the fluid and protein requirements in too. I am working on it. But I just feel stuffed after a few sips. Not sure how much weight I have lost at this point. I may weigh tomorrow. We will see.You can tell in my face that I have lost some weight though.  I am up and about doing a lot of walking.
I got to start on soft food today. For breakfast, I had about 1/3 of a scrambled egg and for lunch I had 1 ounce of egg salad. It was so good. Never thought I would be excited about eating an egg. 
emily

shoregurl
on 3/10/09 10:34 pm - toms river, NJ
Oh Emily I'm so sorry you had to go back, but thank God you did and now you can begin the healing process. It will get better, I promise. I'm so happy your home and please take it easy! I know what you mean about the scrambled egg, I only had 2 bites, but boy it was GOOD! lol
Best of luck and many blessings...
 Shannon  

Emily C.
on 3/10/09 11:00 pm - Claremore, OK
Thanks Shannon. It has been a slow recovery process, but I am getting there. I am still pretty sore in my chest and abdomen on the left side. That was the side my lung collapsed on.

I hope you surgery went well for you. All in all my surgery went well.
Emily

Chootles
on 3/12/09 2:01 am - Bangor, ME
I am glad you are home and doing better Emily! I am jealous about the egg though! That sounds sooooo yummy right now! My doctor has me on a liquid diet for 2 weeks post op. I have a follow up appointment next Tuesday and hopefully will be moved on to soft foods! I am hungry.

*15lbs lost before surgery    
jess0308
on 3/12/09 2:03 am - Blountsville, AL
So good to hear from yu and glad you are doing better, now that you are getting over that unexpected bumbp in the road you can concentrate on all your wonderful moments with your great hubby that lay ahead, take it easy and day by day, you'll do great. God Bless. Prayers and Blessings...Jess

Jen T.
on 3/12/09 8:50 am - Marion, AR
Oh Emily,

How scary that must have all been for you.  Thank God you're doing better now.  I hope you'll not have any more scares and will continue to recover.

Keep us posted!
JenJen
highest 400 (in 2007) ~ pre-op 334 ~ day of surgery 327 ~ current 295 ~ goal 200

BobF4
on 3/14/09 7:20 pm - Rochester, NY
Emily,

I am SO glad you're doing better!  I was genuinely worried about you when I heard what you were going through.

I was lucky I didn't have too much pain.  I have 3 cats, and the youngest (a male) loves to cuddle with me, and lay right on  my chest.  I had staples in my chest, to bind the outer wounds, and he couldn't lay directly on my chest.  Now that the staples are out, he can cuddle up with me however he wants.

I didn't get to even a pureed foods stage until the 12th.  But when I got home from the hospital, I made a quick egg salad using just the egg whites, as my bariatric center suggested.  But you are so right.  That was SO good!!

Bob
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  --  Lao Tzu
                    * Surgery date - 3/2/2009!!!
Highest - Current - Goal
--406--------258--------?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 yrs - Checking in
Chootles · 2 replies · 1080 views
Happy third surgiversary!
BobF4 · 2 replies · 1104 views
2 years Post Op