I'M HOME, I'M HOME, I'M HOME, HI HO HI HO HI HO

sandeejo
on 5/4/08 2:16 pm
Hi Everyone I am home, 5 days since surgery........ Everything went so good at the hospital, my gastric bypass went so well, I was not in as much pain as I thought I was, I too was up and walking within a few hours, not as far as half hour but around the hospital's fifth floor square. I too had bad gas pains. I have found that my favorite protein powder is the non-flavored and I have tasted the strawberry, chocolate and vanilla, I use the non-flavored in my skim milk and then add sugar-free coffee syrups or no sugar added neslies quick. This is working the best for me, I had my first day eating at home and I got in 69 grams of protein. I got the sugar-free hunts snack-pack pudding in chocolate and added a whole scoop of protein powder and 1/4 cup of skim milk and stired it til runny smooth and boy I loved that and the protein was a kicker. Told my husband at the end of day this is going to be a piece of cake... I will probably EAT my words tomorrow, but today was great. I only got in 38 oz of water but I feel that it was ok for now... every day gets a little better as far as pain goes, I am sleeping in my recliner for now because I have a water bed and I don't want to tackle getting in and out of there yet. The only real problem I had was when I was in the hospital bed I was so tired of sleeping on my back that I turned over on my side, had a happy moment of all of about 10 minutes then I had to turn back over.. since I am on the way heavier side this took awhile and I then did have to call the nurse in for my pain pills even though it was 30 minutes to soon.. so my mental note was not to turn over on my side ANYMORE at least until I am more healed... well best go to bed myself, bye talk to you guys later..
erin G.
on 5/4/08 10:06 pm - worcester, MA
i am glad to hear you are doing so well. I had my surgery last tuesday and things are going well. I am still uncomfortable but i can get up and down and move around. the gas pains are all gone now and the hardest thing for me seems to be making myself eat. i have yet to get hungry. even though the taste of my shakes and puddings ect do not bother me, its the thought of actually eating them that does. first day home i got in about 40 grams of protein, but yesterday i didnt get in any more than about 20 because i slept alot. I am not having pain so much as discomfort, just around the top left incision where most of the work was done. It feels almost like a pulled muscle and it is very irritating. Dr said it is normal, that is where most of the work was done. Still I am a very active person and do not like to not just get up and go do what i want to. i am trying to do walking but you can only do so much in a five room apt lol. i too am sleeping out on the cough because i can prop myself up in the corner and be more comfortable. i made the mistake of trying to lie on my side last night, lasted about 10 seconds lol, then i had to roll back over. i am NOT a back sleeper, so this is tough on me. all in time, a day at a time, little better each day. hope you keep doing awesome. best of luck with your recovery. hugs and blessings erin
sandeejo
on 5/5/08 10:17 am
You know I had my surgery the 29th also, it was suppose to be the 25th but I made a big mistake I was there and they were fixin to put in the Ive and the anesthesiologist came in and asked what meds I took in the morning and I was so tired worrying over the surgery that I told them I took my glucophage for sugar control then I became brain dead I couldn't remember if I took it or not... well surgery cancelled.... said that the glucophage can cause some major problems with the surgery in rare cases so we did not want to take the chance... luckily he rescheduled me for Tuesday. So we had our surgery together...... I'm with you no desire to eat.... lol.. great isn't it... I do have one question to ask you.. have you weighed yet????? I weigh every day. also when I came home I rushed to the scale and guess what I GAINED 12 LBS from the hospital last couple of mornings still no change.....I can't believe it and my calories have been under 700 a day...I hope I am not going to be one of their medical mysteries........ Yep that side thing is a kicker.. I am not a back person either so I too have problems.. thank you for your response keep in touch.... hugs and blessings to you also... sandy
sandeejo
on 5/5/08 10:17 am
You know I had my surgery the 29th also, it was suppose to be the 25th but I made a big mistake I was there and they were fixin to put in the Ive and the anesthesiologist came in and asked what meds I took in the morning and I was so tired worrying over the surgery that I told them I took my glucophage for sugar control then I became brain dead I couldn't remember if I took it or not... well surgery cancelled.... said that the glucophage can cause some major problems with the surgery in rare cases so we did not want to take the chance... luckily he rescheduled me for Tuesday. So we had our surgery together...... I'm with you no desire to eat.... lol.. great isn't it... I do have one question to ask you.. have you weighed yet????? I weigh every day. also when I came home I rushed to the scale and guess what I GAINED 12 LBS from the hospital last couple of mornings still no change.....I can't believe it and my calories have been under 700 a day...I hope I am not going to be one of their medical mysteries........ Yep that side thing is a kicker.. I am not a back person either so I too have problems.. thank you for your response keep in touch.... hugs and blessings to you also... sandy
jazzigirl
on 5/13/08 7:30 am - Rose Hill, KS
I'm glad you are doing so well and thank you for sharing. I have my surgery June 2 and it is so helpful when those who have gone before share their experiences. Keep up the good work.
sandeejo
on 5/16/08 11:06 am
Good luck for your surgery, I had open rny, so I got my staples out wednesday, boy does it feel good without them in, I had a g-tube also that had to come out and I was terrified, because the other tube that they had inserted in my new stomach had come out in the hospital, I was not ready for that one and after it was out it was too late to say it hurt.. lol.. So I was pretty scared for the g-tube but you know I was all tensed up and the doctor said most people can't even tell when its out and you know he was right. did not feel a thing just a little suction pressure, no pain. I am eating soft texture now. I am still having trouble with the full feeling, have you ever swallowed a large peice of ice or a big peice of candy and get that painful feeling up your back, thats what I get when I eat to much Im thinking, nothing has come back up yet, and I don't want to test it. I had apple sauce tonight that I made from an apple myself and for about 30 minutes now I have that this pain in my back.. Protiens and water I don't have a problem with either, we feverishly looked all over for protein powders and things with protein and I don't even have to have any shakes anymore because I get way enough protein from the stuff I eat. I have been making good high protein choices. keep in touch ....and It really is great....
Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1007 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 732 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 940 views