Protein supplements?

dolfinluvr77
on 6/16/08 6:04 am - Moorhead, MN
What are others doing for extra protein or to ensure they get in at least 60g per day? I am having the WORST time getting in enough and can't find a shake that I like to save my life!!! I have heard whey protein powder and protein bullets? What are you doing?
Shewolf
on 6/17/08 9:26 am - Rusk, TX
Have you tried the Slim Fast Lo Carb? That is the only protein shake I can tolerate and its not horrible. I also use Carnation Instant Breakfast SF. With the protien shakes its not so much the the taste as it is the texture that I can't stand. Shelia
Deb C.
on 6/17/08 11:10 am - Burlington, MA
Hi Kristy, I have spent a fortune on powders and haven't found anything i like either. They all taste disgusting and I couldnt get in enough of the shakes to make the protein worthwhile. Thank god for Isopure ready to drink bottles. That's all i drink now and they count toward your fluid intake also. 40 grams of protein in a 20 oz bottle. I drink 1 to 1.5 a day -spacing it out all day- and try and get in some other sources of protein but its tough. I cant tolerate much, just yogurt which i hate and i eat a few spoonfuls of hummus throughout the day which has a little protein. You can get the Isopure drinks at any health food type store- they have saved me. I like the lemon tea (tastes like crystal lite) and the melon pineapple banana. I must say the other flavors i tried were nasty these are the only 2 i can drink- so make sure you just buy 1 in case you dont like it. I have to look into those bullets myself. good luck!
jaylynn
on 6/17/08 1:23 pm
I have found the COLDER the protein drinks the better they taste. Depending on your week a spoon of smooth peanut butter is a great source of protein.
dolfinluvr77
on 6/18/08 12:56 am - Moorhead, MN
Yea, I do drink the SF Instant Carnation w/ skim milk in the AM - that's purty good stuff especially with a shot of coffee. I have tried the Slim Fast Lo Carb and HATE them! But I am beginning to think I just hate all protein shakes. Just awful chalky tasting stuff. Thanks for the tips!
MotivatedOne
on 6/18/08 10:56 pm
RNY on 05/28/08 with
I was told 90 grams of daily protein, so that's what I shoot for. I do the 45 gram, 3 ounce liquid drink called "proslam45" by CNS. Can drink it in a few sips, tastes good, and can do two of them daily to get my protein. I still eat eggs, cheese, and EAS Advantage Protein bars (30 grams of protein) to vary the routine. http://www.strongernutrition.com/Products/Brands/Dorian-Yates-Approved/ProSlam-45-Fruit-Pu nch-610025.aspx
twinsdaddy
on 6/20/08 9:25 pm - winthrop, MA
good morning , ive been making smoothies every day and taking it to work in a big thermos i went to gnc and got 100% whey protien in the blender in the am i put 9oz of 1% milk a packet of carnation breakfast 2 scoops of protien then each day i mix it up like today i put 2 bananas ,3-4 big strawberrys , and a hald full of blueberrys every day a differant mix of fruit some day i put a few pieces of differant melons what ever there is no rules then i just add a couple of big spoonfulls of plain no fat yougurt and mix it all up and that is my breakfast and lunch it keeps me going all day at work and seems to give me a good kick in the ass to walk the stairs etc. i stay full but never have any dump feelings at all with all this not counting dinner i avarge 40-55 grams of protien a day without any thinking good luck let me know what you think bye for now frank
jlyn412
on 6/21/08 12:45 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi there! Have you tried Nectar sweets? They mix without a blender and taste wonderful, no chalkiness at all. They do have juice flavors, but I didn't like them, the chocolate and vanilla are really really good. They have 23grams per scoop, no sugar, no carbs, no fat, only 90 calories for the vanilla and 100 for the chocolate. Its not thick at all, it actually tastes like just drinking chocolate or vanilla milk. FYI: the vanilla has vanilla bean specks in it, so don't be alarmed if you buy it and it is full of little black spots, just like Breyers natural vanilla ice cream. Hope this helps!
deniseg
on 6/23/08 1:42 am - Monticello, AR
Hi Kristy, I was browsing through some of the boards and came across your post.....hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I'm 17 months out from surgery and have never been able to do protein shakes...just can't get past the smell and texture. So, I've tried several different things over the past few months and these are the 3 best: 1. Protein bullets...they taste like sweet kool-aid, but are a little thick. They come in 3.1oz. vials and are 42g of protein per vial. I kept them in the fridge and just drank them straight, but you can pour them into a glass with ice and drink that way. I got mine from www.bariatriceating.com I don't use them anymore because my tastes have once again changed on me. 2. Protein pudding...I make my own. I use 100% Premium Whey Protein powder, vanilla, from Wal-Mart and 1/2 packet instant jello pudding mix (any flavor) and 8oz. fat free milk...at your stage you can use 2% but further out you'll want to watch your fat grams. I put the milk, pudding mix, and 1 scoop of protein powder in a blender, blend until smooth then pour into a cup or small bowl, put in the fridge for a little while to set and you've got protein powder....about 32g of protein...you can eat on it all day if you have to and I promise you won't even taste the protein...my favorite flavors are white chocolate, lemon, and banan cream. 3. Good old milk! I take 8oz. fat free milk and add a couple of squirts of sugar free chocolate syrup and you've got instant chocolate milk....I drink 1-2 glasses a day, depending on how well I've eaten throughout the day. There's 9g of protein in 8oz plus the milk adds to your fluids for the day. I hope this helps you some, if I can help you out even more don't hesitate to PM me! Good luck and I promise, it does get easier. Denise
Teresa.
on 6/26/08 12:09 pm - CA
I purchased 4Ever Fit 4Ever Whey Isolate Protein powder from BodyBuilding.com, it is chocolate flavor, Carnation Instant Breakfast tastes good but even lactose free milk bothers me. The 4ever fit is definately something I can tolerate and it has 23 grams of protein in it. I mix the powder with room temperate water, if the water is cold it clumps. I then add ice after I mix it. I drink the protein bullets, they carry them at the vitamin shoppe, I have had a few protein bars, the Atkins Advantage, they taste ok. If you can eat "regular food" try Trader Joe's. I bought Soy Corndogs, Soy Crisps, and Soy Ice Cream bars. They have low fat Cheddar Cheese that is pretty good too. I have to say my taste has changed since surgery. I am now eating foods I wouldn't eat prior. You have to keep trying different stuff, you have to get your protein in.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi May 2008 friends!
Happiness-is-a-choice · 0 replies · 484 views
Happy 4 years
Jeffrey B. · 2 replies · 1442 views
Happy 3 Years!
MotivatedOne · 0 replies · 1143 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 1258 views