Strictures- Worst Case Scenario?

Julie C.
on 8/29/08 10:30 am - Albany, NY
I am 9 and 1/2 weeks out, and I'm back on clear liquids. I feel like I made the biggest mistake of my life. I was hospitalized at 6 weeks post-op because I had a stricture and it took 3 days of not being able to even drink before any of my 3 doctor's offices would listen to me. I was so dehydrated I ended up back in the hospital for 5 days. The worst part is, while I was there, I picked up pneumonia, and came home and was in bed with that for a week

Two days ago I was back in the hospital for another dilation, a second stricture. I guess it was the same one, but just closed up again. That dilation hit me hard. I have been nothing but nauseous since. The doctor said I needed to start over on clear liquids and work my way back up again. It's been so long since I've eaten anything, I really don't even want to eat anymore.

Has anyone else ever dealt with multiple strictures? Does it ever get any better? I know it must, but I thought at 10 weeks out I'd be able to sit down to dinner with my family. The struggle with my head and my body is just so much worse because of everything I've been through. I can't eat soup, popsicles or jello anymore because I've just lived on it for so long. I'd like to find someone else who's had multiple strictures to reassure me that it gets better at some point?

lisainphilly
on 8/31/08 5:36 am - Philadelphia, PA
I just got my second stricture fixed.  The first time, I didn't know what was going on and I thought the pain/stuck feeling/ vomiting was a normal part of recovery and I suffered with it for a couple of weeks.  Now that I know better, the very first time I felt that way, I went back to the hospital and they fixed it quickly.  (that was Friday).  I feel fine afterward.  Last time I was eating regular food (in smaller portion sizes) for about a week before the stricture came back, I only had to be on liquids for two days each time.  I was told that sometimes, strictures have to be fixed multiple times because they can't stretch it out all at once. 

I feel good, but if I have to go get it done again, I will.  I was put under twilight sleep and I don't remember anything, woke up with no pain.  If they open it up a little more each time, then it has to get better and better, right?  Right now, just two days after stricture repair, I am eating chicken (cut in small cubes) 

Did they put you on any medicine?  I'm taking calafate, it's a ulcer med that helps the stricture heal.  Hang in there, it really does get better.
Lisa
Julie C.
on 9/1/08 8:17 am - Albany, NY
Finally yesterday I started to feel better. I've been able to eat a little more without the nausea. It's probably the best I've felt so far. They didn't put me on any medicine specifically for the stricture, but they put me on Reglan for the nausea when I was in the hospital and they've just kept me on it. I feel a little more normal now that I can do mushy foods, but I'd really like to be back to proteins again. Hopefully in a week or two. I can't wait until I can do fruits & vegetables!
Julie C.
on 9/20/08 11:43 am - Albany, NY
The doctor went in and stretched my last stricture. I felt like I wa**** by a bus! I came home and slept the rest of the day. I thought that was it for the stricture. I was thrilled, I even got back on my proteins and I was doing great.

A week ago... the familiar gas, the nausea, and here we go again. I'm in bed all day today, barely able to keep down enough water to keep me hydrated. I'll be going in for my THIRD endoscopy to fix my stricture this week. I didn't think I'd ever feel this terrible. I really am starting to wish I'd never had the surgery. I'm down 80lbs, but it's because I have barely been able to eat because I've had so many problems. I went into this healthy! I thought I was going to be a best case scenario because I was having surgery before I had weight related problems, but I have yet to be able to enjoy my weight loss. I have a 3 year old, and I have spent less time with her since this surgery because I've been in bed so much. My husband has lost so many days of work because of all of my hospitalizations. Never would I have ever thought life would be like this 3 months post-op. I'm in my own personal hell...
tiffanie_18
on 11/5/08 1:20 am
what are stictures? i havent heard of them yet?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 784 views
Canadian Surgens?
Balla · 0 replies · 779 views