PLEASE HELP... HAIR PROBLEMS!!

MsFetzer
on 3/15/05 4:52 am - sarasota, FL
I am almost 7 months out (lap rny 8/18) down 86 pounds and aside from a 2 month long plateau (which just broke, Thank goodness) i have had no real problems until now... i am losing hair, which was no real surprise... i have very long thick curley healthy hair, so the loss didn't concern me too much.... however, last month it went frizz-crazy on me... it is dry brittle and frizzy... i had my hair colored by a professional (after having it ok'd by my dr) and we flat ironed it (both of which have been done many times before to my hair) right before this all happened, but even my dematologist agrees that it shouldn't have caused this problem... i am literally using the best conditioning products on the market and nothing is happening... has anyone out there heard of this happening to hair after surgery or is this just a coincidence? if so, does anyone know what i can do? please advise, i don't know what to do Thanks Laurie ps... (i am taking biotin to stop the loss)
Christie G.
on 3/15/05 7:00 am - San Pedro, CA
RNY on 08/16/04 with
I have high-lighted naturally curly hair as well and was experiencing dryness and frizzies all of a sudden as well. I think it is the change in out diets. I have been using Aveda's cherry almond bark conditioning treatment for the dry/frizzies. It says to use every 5 shampoos but I use it every time. It has made a huge difference in my hair. Good luck, Christie 338/229/170
Leslie H.
on 3/15/05 1:18 pm - Round Rock, TX
My hair loss has stopped, but it does seem like my split ends are worse these days. I'm sure the drastic reduction in fat intake has something to do with it. I can go a couple of days without washing my hair before I notice any oiliness (don't worry, I still shower daily--I just don't wash my very long hair every single day ). I didn't used to be able to do that. Also, there's a woman on another board I frequent who had beautiful dreadlocks pre-op and said she had to cut her hair very, very short because her dreadlocks were so brittle they were actually breaking off! So I guess dry, brittle, frizzy hair is common after WLS. My plan is to get a few inches cut off and keep trimming it back regularly until the new growth is all that's left. I'm also conditioning more regularly and (as I mentioned above) not washing it with every shower. It dries out and frizzes even more if I shampoo it every day, even if I use moisturizing shampoos. Anyway, you're not alone. My suggestions are: (1) shampoo less frequently (if that's an option for you) or use gentler shampoo; (2) aggressively trim off split ends; and (3) get a high-quality moisturizing conditioner or hot oil treatment and see if those help. There are also leave-in conditioners that you apply to damp hair after your shower and leave in all day to protect and moisturize. I used to use one of those and haven't gotten around to getting some again. Let us know if anything helps! ---- Leslie still -97
Smile N.
on 3/18/05 11:34 am - Near Charlotte, NC
I have been losing my hair for several months. I don't have a problem with it being frizzy but my hair is straight and I don't color or perm it. I would perm it but it is getting so thin I don't want nothing to damage my hair anymore than it already is. I heard that by 9 months it should stop. I certainly hope so. I don't know what I will do if it doesn't stop. All my blood work is good. I am getting in about 60-70 grams of protien a day plus my vitamins. I don't know what else I can do. This has got to be the worse side effect for me. I feel so good and I am starting to look good except my hair is getting very thin. So of course I don't feel as pretty now. Ugh..I hate this. Oh, well I guess getting thin hair is a small price to pay for gettting rid of 110lbs. Good luck to all!
DeniseV
on 3/20/05 2:02 pm - NH
Hi Laurie, Have you considered cutting it off? I did and have no regrets whatsoever. I love my new style! It actually cut almost 12 inches off! When you cut your hair, I have noticed that for whatever reason, it doesn't fall out as much. If you have natuarlly curly hair, try Frizease product. Works AWESOME. Even a good mouse would world well. When you hair is wet, scrunch your hair using these products and then use a difuser on your hair dryer, using your hands to scrunch your hair. End with a light spray on conditioning hair spray. I have noticed when I use a lot of conditioner, my hair falls out more. Try less and only use it on the ends of the hair. Losing hair is part of the surgery, unfortunately but there are little tricks that can make it less of a miserable process. Good luck! Hugs, Denise
Captain Vitamist
on 3/20/05 9:47 pm - Somewhere, IL
I HAD long THICK curly Healthy hair too. I cut it off when I was losing it because it pained me to see it fall. I was using this stuff by ION for protein rebuilding. It works WONDERFULLY. But remember that a lot of your "Frizz" is probably baby hairs growing out. So there really isn't too much you can do. Maybe a better gel/mousse/whatever you use. I highly recommend the Ion stuff though. It's $8.99 for a pump bottle and it's quite a bit. Good Luck! Melissa
MsFetzer
on 3/22/05 12:22 am - sarasota, FL
i just wanted to say THANK YOU so much to all of the people *****sponded with thier ideas and comments... i am trying to calm down about it and get a little perspective, the whole thing just kinda freaked me out a little!! : ) Hopefully this will pass with time! thanks again Laurie
Most Active