HelpWhat to do about life after WLS?

sunshine22
on 10/23/07 12:59 pm - Karrington, MN
Can anyone relate to this or am I going crazy? Here is the story, since wt loss surgery I have not changed my personality, except for to be kinder and more considerate of the overwt population who i still identify with, because like a recovering alcoholic, I am just a recovering overeater.--YET, I find people "not as nice" to me...Since now I look good and I am thinner than a majority of my coworkers, they feel they need to keep me in my place "so to speak" and never offer anything nice towards me in the way of kindness, in fact, some are plain rude. This hurts my feelings, but I hid it and I am too meek to say anything --to stand up for myself, I am sick of getting this far, and feeling good for the first time..just to have people be the pits. Anyone who knows me knows I have worked very hard to pull myself up and out of welfare and obesity, to reach my full potential and now that I am successful personally, I dont have my husbands support or coworkers. I do have a few old friends that will love me for who i am...should I just "shake it off" or should I feel hurt my this and just go through the motions whith these rude people? What do you think? Thank You.
blondesnowqueen
on 10/25/07 7:47 am - Oxford, ME
You're not crazy. It happened to me too. I changed jobs in July because of it. I can't stand being treated rudely by co workers that I thought were my friends until I became smaller than them. You shouldn't "shake it off". You need to stand up for yourself. You don't have to be mean just because they're mean, but when someone says something that is down right nasty or rude about you or to you, stick up for yourself. Believe me you'll feel better if you do. Just my opinion. I hope I helped some. ~dori~
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/07 8:55 pm - Florence, KY
I agree. I have lost some contacts that I thought were friends. Just let them know that what they said hurt your feelings and then move on. With all the changes you have gone through, your circle of friends/contacts is bound to change too. I personally found that I probably wouldn't have been friends with some of the people I knew if I hadn't been fat. I think I needed friends more than they needed me.
cowangel
on 11/18/07 2:05 am - Grovetown, GA
interesting, i've had so many people encourage me, however have dealt with ugly remarks all my llife by family and "friends". Recently I changed jobs, and the new office knows I had bypass cause one girl i work with married a friend of mine. She's a big girl, and is contantly making remarks like: those of you that had their 'weightproblem" fixed by a surgeon think you're on easy street, but you can still have a heart attack etc and just cause you're careful about what you eat doesn't maek you healthy, it's just easier for you... I finally turned around and said " if you think that the surgery I had was easy, or if this is easy now, you are sadly mistaken, and you like to watch everything i eat so you see that I am very careful, so watch whaqt you say, they actually were making fun of a woman that apparently was found dead in front of her fridge this week and her overweight son dead in the other room, saying things like 300 pounds? they needed a crane to get her out of apartment, I wanted to scream would someone please shut them up? My boss was taking part of it, and beleive me my boss and Jessica the one with the mouth, both are over 70 pounds overweight... easily... and there are folks outside my office that weigh over 300 pounds and it's just rude.... I wanted to ask them, so are you saying that if you died in here or got really sick and had to be taken by ambulance that we'd need a crane? but I don't have enough gumption to do it.
Normadidit
on 12/16/08 9:29 am - Belflower, CA

It might help you to know that human nature is funny that way. Sometimes we find people who have negative remarks to make because that makes them feel better about themselves. You have made a choice to be proactive about your health. What a wonderful thing for you to do. Just look at them and say “Have you ever thought about how long and how hard it was for me to do what I did. My health is important to me. I don’t make judgments on others because everyone has to make their own choices. I respect you for yours.
I couldn’t deal with my diabetes, pain in my joints when I wanted to walk and knowing that I would probably have other complications in the future. I had the surgery on Dec 9, 2008 and you know, I don’t have diabetes issues any more.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 667 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 735 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 798 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 927 views