Iron Defussion

MelMoyl
on 11/15/07 4:15 am
Has anyone had this procedure? My iron is a 5!!! The Doctor said normal is 10-450. DId you have to do it more than one time? Anyone with info please help!!!
Carol G.
on 11/16/07 2:05 am - Ahwahnee, CA
Sorry! I've never even heard of it. How much iron do you take daily?
cowangel
on 11/18/07 1:46 am - Grovetown, GA
i have friends that have it done quarterly, it's infusion, they set you up with an I.V. and infuse you with iron slowly... its much like a b12 shot in that you feel so much better
lea2be
on 11/25/07 2:15 am - LaBelle, FL
I've not had a transfusion yet, but feel it may be in my near future as mine is at 13! I am trying a prescription iron supplement right now from my PCP (poly iron) and am finding it pretty constipating while I already had issues in that department... I have never had luck tolerating an iron supplement--even prenatal iron supplements made me so miserable that I was told to discontinue them. I've always been a bit anemic (too much iced tea), but know that part of it now is the malabsorption. I already eat a lot of beef and some leafy green veggies... Just not enough to keep my iron up with the malabsorption factor. Lea
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/08 10:48 am - Florence, KY
I was having the same low iron issues until a nurse friend told me to drink Orange juice when I eat beef. My levels were up within a month. I don't drink alot of juice, but do take about 3-4 ounces with my meals that include meat.
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/08 3:16 am
When I had my original labs done I was very low in iron too. My Gasto Dr prescribed prescription Iron of 325mg tablets. Initially I took it 3x a day and I could slowly decrease it. My iron came up to a level they feel I can take just 1 tablet. Only issue I have now is I am low in Vitamin D so I have changed when I take my calcium and Iron so it has a better chance to absorb. The iron is about 5 bucks at pharmacy for 90 tablets. Insurance for me does not cover it but its cheap enough. Darlene
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 667 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 735 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 798 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 927 views