Did you tell your co-workers??

eufaulagal
on 12/6/04 4:26 am - AL
I didn't tell my co-workers or anyone other than my immediate family. My co-workers thought I was out for vacation while I was actually recuperating from surgery. Several of them have made comments like "have you lost weight?" and I reply "a little..." I've lost 38.5 lbs so far (since 10/19).
Laura M.
on 12/6/04 4:27 am - Kingstowne, va
This is so funny that you posted this question today because I went back to work today for the first time since my surgery (october 6, 2004) and I had the same reaction! I only told a few of my co workers and the ones I did tell told me I looked good but the ones that I did not tell they kind of looked at me differently and said my hair looked great! After surgery, I got my hair highlighted and cut and that seems to be the main topic of conversaiton. I was a little disappointed that no one said "wow you lost weight" but I know that most people are scared to say things like that. Good luck with your weight loss. Laura
Honeypeach Thonks
on 12/7/04 1:23 am - MetroWest, ma
No. That didn't stop them from prying anyway: "Exactly what did you have done?" And the ones who ask that are nosy, not concerned; concerned people ask if I'm all right, do I feel good, am I handling return to work well, do I get tired, etc. I set the scene far in advance with "gall bladder" problems" and a genuine severe problem with damage due to gastric reflux. There is a type of surgery for gastric reflux that tightens the exit from the esophagus, so I said that with that, and documented gall bladder attacks, that they did both at once which is why I had open surgery instead of just lap surgery for the gall bladder. And they put me on a restricted and weight-loss diet, both due to the surgery, and to the fact that excess weight agravates gastric reflux. So all is explained - I just look like a successful dieter, and I don't get any snippy remarks.
jencripps
on 12/7/04 2:26 am - Allen Park, MI
I tell whoever asks... I was fat and I knew it... in fact I still am fat but I am working my way to a healthier me... Weight issues have always been a taboo subject that makes anyone, including the fat people, uncomfortable... I am not ashamed that I had to have the surgery... I needed it because I could not do it on my own... I think it takes more courage and strength to admit that you had a problem and needed the help... With everyone knowing, it makes things easier and more fun for me... I actually have a friend who had her mom make banana nut bread with Splenda because she did not want me to be excluded from the snacks... the NOSY people are just miserable people who have nothing better to do than find out about you and discuss it with others... poo poo on them! Tell the world... maybe with you being open and honest about it, you may inspire someone else to check into WLS!!! Jen 298.4/263/155
Pauline C.
on 12/7/04 3:25 am - Berkley, MA
I told all my co-workers, I work in a hair salon with ten other woman, some nice, some not, what they think of it really does not matter to me. I did this for myself and my family. I also told most of my clients I do not feel embarassed about saying that I needed to have this done. there are always those who will have something negative to say no matter what, they would be the same ones to critisize you for not trying to do something.
Robin J.
on 12/7/04 3:27 am - St. Louis, mo
I am a walking billboard for WLS! I am proud of it also! I work with Nurses and doctors and there is no way they wouldn't guess what I did. They are too smart to not figure it out. No way could I have lost this kind of weight so fast and keep it off without doing something "different". I also am trying to be careful not to lift too much or eat the wrong things etc... They see how much I eat and how often and it is obvious I changed something. My coworkers are mostly very supportive of my decision and some are actually watching my progress for their own weight loss problems. I want to shout to all my friends and family how wonderful this surgery has been for me. I am 6 weeks out and have lost 37 pounds and over 27 inches. I feel better and look better. If I hadn't said anything, than I know I would have been the subject of many "discussions" behind my back about what I did. I just wanted to make it clear that I am proud of my decision and know it was the best thing for ME to do for myself. I even am having DOCs ask questions about it now and who are making all kinds of positive comments about my weight loss. I am just not a very good lier, I can't keep any secrets when I am so excited about something. Heck! when I got pregnant I always told everyone right away. I am just a big mouth! I have also had a few people voice their "concern" about my eating habbits etc.... But mostly they are just confused or missinformed and once I tell them about my surgery they usually are very impressed or at least they offer me their best wishes. Robin G DS 10/26/04 249/212/130 down 37 pounds!
Sheryl in So Cali
on 12/7/04 11:52 am - San Clemente, CA
Jo Originally I only told my supervisor, timekeeper (friend) and my closest friend there. Of course, a few found out due to another friend from another department, but most were in the dark. When I returned I told everyone in my office, because it was obvious I was losing weight and not eating my usual daily candy. I was a choco-holic!!! Most people comment on how good I am doing but a few are always sticking their noses into my cubicle to see what I am eating. These are the same ones still hitting the candy drawer at regular intervals. I have to hold my tongue a times. I enjoy my s/f pudding and popsicles and I want to tell them to go away and leave me be. But I will have the last laugh when I am smaller than them and still not eating candy!!!! Our office goes out to lunch once a month and this will be the first next week I am going since surgery. That will be interesting. They like to go to Soup Plantation but I cannot see paying $6.99 for a 1/2 cup of soup!! I have asked them to pick someplace else but have not heard yet. Well, I sure rambled on didn't I? Enjoy the new you!!!!!! Sheryl
Londra T.
on 12/7/04 12:03 pm - Glenwood, IL
Hi! I'm Londra (RNY 1-15-04) No I didn't tell my co-workers. I told them I was going out for surgery. When they asked for what I told them it was personal. I didn't want to discuss my body. I return to work 1-3-05. I'll let you know how things go.
jencripps
on 12/7/04 10:08 pm - Allen Park, MI
Wow, did you have complications since you have been out for a year???
Mélanie Hope
on 12/9/04 5:04 am - Lacey, WA
Thanks for this, others' comments are very helpful - I am returning on Monday, and haven't told anyone in my department. I work at a large non-profit, and since we pray for e/o, everyone is in everybody's business. I just told them about the hernia repair and intestinal problems, but didn't go into much detail. They'd seen how many problems I was having with swelling, keeping stuff down, and back pain, and I related it all to the hernia. All that stuff is actually gone now. It's not that I'm ashamed. Not really. I just don't know how to discuss it. When I decided to have laser surgery on my eyes last year, the reactions from a couple of coworkers were so horrible and shocking that I decided not to tell anyone about my WLS. For something as simple as fixing my eyesight, you would have thought I was getting my eyes popped out with a rusty screwdriver. I can only imagine what they'd say about THIS surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 580 views