X-post Help tooth pain question

Mini-me
on 6/16/09 11:27 pm - KY
I broke a tooth off last Friday, went to the dentist he put a temporary cap on there ****il my permanent one comes in)  but I am having a CONSTANT tooth ache.  I called the dentist back he said the only thing he prescribes is Ibuprofen.  I explained to him that I couldn't take that so he said just to take extra strength Tylenol.  I had already been taking taking that but hasn't even touched the pain!!

My question is>>>>  Can we take Tylenol with codeine in it?  Also is that something that causes drowsiness? 

If we can't take that does anyone have any suggestions on what to take?

dmsams
on 6/17/09 12:05 am - san antonio, TX
MM-

I am pretty good about not taking anything but Tylenol myself...but a couple of weeks ago i had a D&C and i did take 800 MG of Ibuprofen- with no ill effects. I would not take it for an extended period of time, that is for sure- (for risk of injury to the pouch) when is the perm one coming in? I think that codeine does make you drowsy.

I think all the "good" stuff makes you drowsy. SIGH..
Dawn
Mini-me
on 6/17/09 1:11 am - KY

The perm. doesn't come in until15 days

I am suppose to be leaving on vacation tomorrow but I don't know now with this tooth

dmsams
on 6/17/09 2:04 am - san antonio, TX
OMG-- I am so sorry....DONT take advice from me about drugs....Melissa Foster may know better than me of course with her MEDICAL training and all... i hope it gets to feeling better....that is NO GOOD AT ALL...
Dawn
MelissaF
on 6/17/09 2:58 am, edited 6/17/09 3:03 am - Northwood, IA
Aw sweetie (((Hugs)))

I would steer clear from ibuprofen b/c the drug goes into your system (systemically - meaning blood stream)  and causes the chance for ulcers to arrise.  I have a friend who took one dose and ended up with a perforation of her anastamosis (stoma) and ended up with a huge incision and emergency surgery.  NOT worth it.

I would go to the store and look for a drug called Anbesol... paint it on the tooth area and see if it helps.  More than likely it is nerve pain.  You may need tylenol #3 for a while, yes it does cause drowsiness so don't drive with it or operate machinery as they like to say ;-) It is safe to take tho with gastric bypass. 

There really isn't anything that we can take anti-inflammatory wise that doesn't give us an increased risk for bleeding and or ulcers.. so I woudl stay away from aleve, ibuprofen, motrin etc.  Sorry to say that :(

I hope u feel better soon!

Edited to add: apply ice to your cheek where the tooth is for about 20 mins with some sort of barrier between your cheek like a thin towel to prevent any frost bite.  Only for 20 mins and then reapply ever 1-2 hours as needed.  This may also help the swelling.

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active
Recent Topics
6 years out...can't believe it
lacygirlcat · 0 replies · 787 views
6 years later
Mr. K · 2 replies · 744 views
Waist Management
XOXOXO · 1 replies · 1419 views
anniversity
briancunn · 1 replies · 800 views