weightwise program

seeking_freedom
on 12/5/11 8:46 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
hello everyone! i am from manitoba, and have been refered to the weightwise program in edmonton. i have attended 4 modules and my intial assessment. at that time i also met with the psychologist and the dietician. so far so good. i am waiting to hear whether i have been accepted into the program or not. keeping my fingers crossed. i have more apts scheduled for jan 23 & 24, with my nurse case mgr, dietician, md, physio, occupational therapist, and another module, going to be a very busy 2 days. i also come back on feb 1&2 for the body scan and 2 more modules. i am looking for info and stories about this program, also info on the surgeons, any input will be appreciated. 
thanks to all!
niki

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
Adrianna O.
on 12/5/11 10:44 pm - Canada
Hi Niki:

You are already in the program. As soon as you have your first appt you are in. But it is up to you to decide to continue and do the work or not. As you work through the program, then they will discuss with you about surgery and if you are interested and what surgery you are thinking about.

Let me know if you have any more questions....and have fun. You will be in for quite the ride (in a good way)

Tige-Girl
on 12/6/11 8:33 am - Canada
Yes, Adrianna is right. You are already in the program...COngrats! It's the only comprehensive program in Canada- Welcome (this from a former Brandonite you "Pegger!!LOL!) You have entered at the perfect time, They just put extra funding into the program this fall to increase the surgery rate. I had Dr. Daniel Birch-he was business like, direct, professional, forthcoming-all positives from me on him. KEEP YOUR FOOD JOURNAL!! ALWAYS wear you pedometer. This shows them you are making the changes and are serious and can do it. They want to work with people to set them up for successful life changes. Without the work of the modules, people who just fly out of country for surgery, I think are set up for failure. IN FACT the post op OR nurse and I were chatting (I"m an RN too) and she told me you never hear about and wouldn't believe the numbers of patients that go straight from the airport to the Alex Emerg. for complications!!!! Welcome to the program, I wish you much success!   
seeking_freedom
on 12/6/11 1:18 pm - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
 thank you ladies for your responses, i am unsure whether ive been accepted to the program yet as jason, the psychologist at the ww clinic had to contact my psychiatrist here in winnipeg to see if surgery would be advisable or not. it all hinges on jasons go ahead at this point! im hoping to hear in the next day or 2. i actually saw a tarot card reader who is awesome and she said that i would have good news coming from edmonton, so ive got faith in that! lol whats the hospital like, are the facilities geared towards obese people? hows the staff? who did you deal with? how were they? how long from assessment did you wait till surgery? what else can i expect to need to do in order to get my rny? 
thank you for the info!
niki

Tige-Girl
on 12/6/11 10:57 pm - Canada
Like I said, JOURNAL you intake, keep the pedometer in your pocket and record in the journal. ROyal Alex is a regular hospital (full of noise and smells) Don't count on a private room (that's a norm in all hosp. though)....All staff in all hosp. are "trained" for POS (person's of size) doesn't mean they "get it" though. Personalities kick in everywhere. Having said that, the weight wise staff are great. 
seeking_freedom
on 12/7/11 10:52 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
manitoba has recently started a pilot program here doing vsg and rny, i spoke with one of the girls who had it done here, after her surgery they gave her a comode to use and she did not fit on it! i was apalled that they have a program here yet do not have the equipment to accomadate us larger folk! and she wasnt nearly as large as me. does the alex have equipment for us bariatric folks? are there nurses who are understanding of the type of surgery we have done? they do alot of these there , dont they? they must have some experience , i hope! i guess my biggest concerns are about the whole surgery experience there. i have no previous experience at that hospital so its completly unknown to me. i wish i could have my surgery closer to home :(  none the less, im excited to have it at all. i feel very lucky to be in such a good program. how long did it take for you to get the surgery after your assessment?
thanks for your response, sorry for all the questions, lol
niki 

Silk911
on 12/9/11 2:20 am
Hi there,

I'm a Weight Wiser too... Almost done with the program.

The Royal Alex is completely set up for a POS. They have the 'inflatable trundle' for moving you from the Operating table to your bed. They pretty much have everything for the Extremely Obese Person. I was lucky enough to have a private room and can tell you that the bed was designed for a very large person.

I was almost 400 lbs when I started and am now topping out at 165 lbs... just waiting for Plastic Surgery...

The weight wise clinic is astonishing in it's set up... I was totally surprised to have a chair with arms on it that I actually fit into....

I will always sing the praises of the Weight Wise Clinic and their staff...

Melody

tersews
on 2/21/12 11:52 am - Picture Butte, Canada
Hello,
Conratulations for taking the steps so far.   My husband had the gast ric sleeve operation in April 2011 but it was a long process but worth it. He was laid off his job in June 2008 because of his weight, he was near 550 pounds or more ad refused to do anything about it. He got depressed and gained more weight initially and I had our family dr submit the application and he got started with the modules the following spring. He finally got serious about it all after he had a bout in hospital with a nasty skin infection and by the time he met the surgeon he had lost about 75-80 pounds and he had the sleeve operation he lost more quickly and as he lost he was able to move more and could do some exercises to help the process.He has severe arthritis in both knees and needs both knees replaced but could not have it done until he lost weight , so it was a real battle. One must be very patient and allow yourself to feel bad,sad,happy, proud and everything else in between, and as the spouse it is difficult too.  I really wish they had a more open way of having patients and families get together to ask each other questions and share stories and ideas because the process is so very long and in order to be successful and stay on track better I think it should be part of the program also. The nurses and psycologists and all the different therapists are great but I do not believe any of them have gone through the program themselves and just pass on what they are told to; so having a buddy or something like that that uyou can share or call would be great. It is even more difficult when you are from out of the Edmonton area. We are from southern Alberta and with very little income it was financially draining aswell to travel up there often. We took our  travel trailer most of the time but did need a hotel last November when he had his tummy tuck done.That is another whole story too, when your there...I think it is importtant to know this is a process to change your life and the majic is not in the surgery I believe it is in accepting the fact that we need to move and keep moving no matter what our age or hw sorry we feel for ourselves.  There is not one person on the earth that does not have "their story " in reaching the weight  we get too before we need to change. I know they told us even after the surgery the success rate a few years downthe road is very , very low and I know already my husband is starting tobackslide now and then and as the weeks go by it is more and more often to have that special treat.I do wish you all the best and hope you  can work your way through all the hoops and hurdles that "they" require you too in order to reach the surgery stage and then you really do have toworkeven harder.
Most Active