Getting started

MONARAE45
on 12/26/11 4:27 am - Canada
 Hi
Im just getting started and tried to take in as much information as I could with my first consultation .  The nurse said I could start my journey the next day if I wanted to, but I am now going to start . Christmas is over and a new beginning is about to begin.  So my question is .... With the 1cup of food three times a day I just need some guiedience on what I can eat and what is absolutely a no no?  I know no cheese, caffeine ,diet drinks,or juice, but what are some suggestions.....I want to set myself up for success not failure.

Thanks Mona
Mel_Be_Ti
on 12/26/11 1:48 pm
Hello.

I would also like information on the one cup diet.  I know that I should eat my protein first but I need help with meal ideas and what I cannot eat.  Starbucks is one of my favourite places so I will morn the loss of my venti caramel machiattos. lol

I assume we are not allowed carbs or if we have carbs we should only have a minimal amount.

I am really worried about this one cup diet thing...I worry about cravings and feeling hungry.  I want the strength to get through this and I know most of it will be mental rather than physical.

One friend on this forum did inform me that you shouldn't drink a half hour before eating and a half hour after so that you don't trick your body into feeling full.  I think.  I think she said that eating slower is required and that a one cup meal should take 20 min to half an hour to finish.  Eat a bite...put fork down...chew chew...two minutes later take another bite.  Can anyone confirm this?

I have always grazed...a snacker.  I will have to teach myself to eat three meals a day.

Mel
Keelan
on 12/28/11 1:32 am
Since my first appointment with the clinic and surgery the program has changed a lot and I have no idea about the one cup diet but I bet it will sure give you the jump start that you need to make a success of surgery if you are taking that route. I'm 15 months out from having a sleeve surgery done and I still can't eat a cup of food unless it's straight liquid like broth or tomato soup. I"m thinking this 1 cup diet will mentally prepare you for the days after surgery.
I have never gave up my cheese cause it is a vital protein in my diet as I still don't get the required protein that I should. I have changed from regular cheese to light.  Before surgery I joined weigh****chers to help me lose and cut back my eating out to 1 time a week from probably 10 times. I gave up pop and juice and started wearing a pedometer and jornaling my food intake, emotions and times I would eat. Late evening and nights were my worst times.
Eating wise definitely protein first, fruit and veggies second and carbs third. You really have to find a system that will work for you and keep you satisfied. It is also a little harder to cook a stable meal as you are trying to cut calories, fat, and portion size but with a little time it'll get better.
I don't know if this will help but here are some idea's for breakfast lunch and supper. They are all high protein and great for left overs.

Breakfast- Boiled egg with a piece of cheese, package oatmeal with milk, greek yogurt with fruit,

Lunch-1/2 cup of tuna in a lettuce wrap with chopped celery and green onion with a little mayo
             1/2 cup of chili
              ham or turkey breast sandwich made with lettuce wrap

Supper- Chicken breast with salsa and 1/2 baked potato or green salad
                Grilled fish with veggies
                 Beef with stir fry veggies and 1/4 cup of rice
                 1/4 cup Ground turkey with 1/4 cup of lite Ragu sauce and 1/4 cup of Smart Pasta
                 Bun less Hamburger with saute onion and salad

All the little changes make a different, lower cal butter, salad dressing , mayo's and drink more water. Weight and measure all your foods. Pre package snacks of almonds in snack bags instead of grabbing a handful.

Good Luck and I hope this was helpful.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

MONARAE45
on 12/28/11 4:50 am - Canada
 Thanks so much for the ideas and advice...... This is going to be quite a journey for me, it scares me and excites me at the same time, but 2012 is about me and my health, and I know my family is here for my support.

Mona
Mel_Be_Ti
on 1/6/12 5:48 am
Kee,

Thank you for all that great information.  It really helps.  I have my first appointment on Tuesday so this weekend is my farewell to a few things I enjoy to eat that really aren't good for me.  I am so excited for this journey.  2012 will be the year that my life changes forever.  Thank you.
Most Active