new to the forum!

l_fex
on 1/3/12 12:30 pm - Calgary, Canada
 Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and thought I would just jump right in!

I've been doing a lot of research on getting weightloss surgery,  I have had an appointment with my Doctor and she has also agreed to put my referal forward!

I had become overweight about 6 years ago, funny that 6 years ago I also thought I needed to loose weight but I would do anything now to be just like that.

I was recently married and did put a lot of hard work in loosing some weight prior to the wedding,  I have not given up but I'm going to need some help and support.

I have decided to go forward in sending my referal to Dr. Farries in Red Deer, anyone know of the current wait times? anyone been through this clinic and process? what should I expect? My Doctor has to send tghe referal on May 1st 2012 as I have been told when I called to inquire about the referal process.

Good to hear from anyone! I appreciate any help.  I have been looking through the forum and I congratulate everyone with there amazing stories and progress!!

uner
on 1/4/12 3:31 am - Canada
Hi There,

I am just starting the whole process myself and it didn't seem long for me to get an appt at the clinic. My Dr. did the referal in mid November and my first appt in Red Deer was on Dec8. I was a bit suprised how fast that was. I am not sure what the wait times are now.

I was a bit surprised initially at how you have to lose weight, 1 cup only at every meal. I didn't think I could do it but I am suprised to say that so far I haven't done to badly considering it was Christmas and all. Since my appt I have lost 14lbs.   I didn't want to have the surgery because it seems so extreme so I did a lot of research and spent a lot of time checking everyone's posts on this forum and the VSG forum and they have been very helpful. I am about 90% sure that I will have the surgery now.

My next appt is with Dr. Menenzes in Red Deer in mid January and I am not sure what to expect for that one. Does anyone know anything about him?

I wish you all the luck for your journey. I would be interested in knowing how the process works for you.    Keep in touch.
MONARAE45
on 1/4/12 6:01 am - Canada
Hi There,

I too am just starting my journey....I had my first appt. Dec. 16th and my next one is Jan. 16 with Dr. menzzes(not sure of the spelling).  Yes I have started the 1 cup every meal on January 1st. day 4 now and am doing okay.  Maybe our paths will cross and we can encourage each other.

Mona
from Camrose
uner
on 1/5/12 3:07 am - Canada
If your appt is January 16th than I may see you at the clinic because that is when mine is with Dr.Menenzes too!

uner from Olds
l_fex
on 1/4/12 8:11 am - Calgary, Canada
 Just curious why I have to wait until May 1st?? does anyone know? is it because I am from Calgary?

I'm sure we will keep in touch here while we are all going through this large transition in our lives, good luck to you both and I look forward to hearing more!
MONARAE45
on 1/4/12 12:51 pm - Canada
 I think you have to wait until may 1st because that is the date they start taking referrals each year... And I think if you are outside the central health region to get into red deer that is why you have to wait until may1.  Calgary may be a different region.... Just thinking what that is about, if it makes any sense!
l_fex
on 1/4/12 1:35 pm - Calgary, Canada
 That does make sense... I'm part of the Calgary Heatlh Region, which explains everything.  As I said though I will go forward with it on the 1st of may and hopefully everything works out for me.  

Keep you updated and let me know how things are going.  I would like to get an idea what im in for before I go to the clinic.
ABFootballMom
on 1/5/12 1:44 am - Canada
Hi there!  Welcome to the world of weight loss and healthy living!

In response to your question about the wait time to see Dr. Farries, it is my understanding that he only takes referrals on one day a year.  He takes the first 100 referrals to come in on that day and then he doesn't take anymore for another year.

Another option you might want to consider is a referral to Dr. Nohr here in Medicine Hat.  He is quite busy, but when you get your consultation appointment you can be put on the cancellation list and will likely get in earlier.  My original consultation was scheduled for December 2012, but I was put on the list (and generally made myself a pain in the ass for his receptionist) and I got an apointment in December 2009 and had my surgery in November 2010!!!

I know that Medicine Hat is a little farther to travel than Red Deer, but it's an option :)
      “We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be??  
Used by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech.

l_fex
on 1/5/12 1:50 am - Calgary, Canada
 Thank you,  I will look into that option as well!
kellie_calgary
on 1/5/12 5:00 pm - Calgary, Canada
Welcome!
I too am in Calgary. I was unaware that you could decide on where to send your referal. My doctor decided on where to send me. I was refered to the weight loss clinic here in Calgary and I was refered there in October and am still waiting on an appointment with them.
Hopefully we find out how to better work the system so that we are not waiting a few years for the suregery.
Wish you the best with your journey!
Most Active