Recent Posts

jaynak
on 7/1/11 3:54 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Heading to Richmond again
Well, another trip and a long day of appointments is over.  The trip down was horrible with the mud slide it took me 7 hours to get from Kamloops to Surrey (it was 4 hours just from Hope to Chilliwack).  After a short sleep (stayed at my Dad's house and didn't even get to see him as he was sleeping when I got there and was gone to work when I got up) it was back on the road to Richmond.  Had a good visit with Nooshin and got a can of Boost and Glucerna as well as a list of stuff so I can find what I prefer (yogurt, pudding) stuff like that for the pre-op diet.  Visit with Dr. Sampath was good and he was happy with my 4.5 pounds lost in 4 weeks.  I was almost able to skip a visit with him next month (he said to just call him with my weight and how I'm doing/any questions) but since I'm there again to see Nooshin I'll be seeing him as well.  Drive to West Van to see Dr. Zetner was no fun and it seemed to take forever.  The actual visit with her was good, she said that I'm definately healthy enough for the surgery (she actually said that I'm scarey perfect for the surgery, not sure how to take that) and that I don't need to see her again unless I want to.  She even gave me her card with her email in case I have any questions.  After that it was back on the road to head home.  The trip home was much better, it only took me about 1 1/2 hours to get from West Van to Chilliwack and after a quick supper there with my sister I hit the road for the final journey home and got here shortly after 9pm.  So after spending what seems like 2 days driving I'm home and happy with how things went.

Just wanted to add that Dr. Sampath did tell me about the extra funding they have received.  He said it will allow them to do about 40 more surgeries a year, but it doesn't start until October.  He's expecting that my surgery will be in October.

I'll be back down there again for appointment with Nooshin and Dr. Sampath on July 29 maybe some of us can get together for coffee then.
raingal
on 6/30/11 12:39 pm - Surrey, Canada
Topic: RE: Chewable vitamins and Protein Drinks
Hi there - I am in Surrey and just had my surgery (band-to-sleeve revision) by Dr. Ponce de Leon on June 17th. 

I take Swiss (then "Natural Sources" in small letters - not sure if that's part of the name) Adult Chewable Multi-Vitamin and Mineral from Save-On.  I've been taking this vitamin for three years since I got my band.  I like them!  Now I am taking 2 a day instead of one, because of not eating anything nutritious for a while post-surgery.  I read where everyone should take their multi-vits in divided doses to absorb more, so I used to take approximately half a tab (I just bit off half-ish; they are quite big) at breakfast and fini**** at dinner.  Now I do that four times a day, with my protein shakes. 

I also add MagiCalcium Power (also by Swiss, bought atSave-on) to one or two protein drinks per day.  It also has magnesium.  Then I also take one or two Tums for calcium as well.

I was told by Dr. Ponce to drink chamomile tea in the morning, then three hours later have clear broth, then three hours later have jello, then three hours later have apple juice, etc., and sip water in between, for FIFTEEN DAYS!  When I got home four days after surgery, I looked up how much protein was in jello and broth, and it's not much!  I don't know why I was not advised to drink some clear protein drinks.  I read a number of post-surgical diets (there are a number to choose from, from reputable medical sources, here on the site - just use the search box) and they ALL stressed the importance of getting 65-70g of protein every day.  If you don't get enough,
you will likely have hair loss several months later.  Plus, I was really, really weak, and with so much to do to take care of my family (my son has multiple special needs and I also have a little girl), it just wasn't going to work with no protein.

So I decided not to follow my doctor's orders, and I got a protein drink called Whey-Kool from GNC.  In the U.S. they have another one that's completely clear, but I was told I couldn't get it in BC.  Whey-Kool comes in Lemonade (which I bought) and Peach-Mango flavours.  One scoop mixed with water provides 21g of protein.  It is not completely clear; it is kind of cloudy, but definitely not like other protein shakes I've seen which look like chocolate milk or something.  I figured it was close enough.  Wal-mart may carry something clear as well - I think it is called something like Shot or Bullet or something.  It is pre-made, you just open it and drink.  I was told it doesn't taste very good.  Whey-Kool is VERY mildly and quite pleasantly flavoured, which is good when you are drinking it three times a day.

One the ninth day of liquids (11 days post-op) I added in a small bowl of strained cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's, mixed with water), just so I could feel semi-normal again.  I have a family to cook for and I was going crazy looking at and SMELLING all that good food and not being able to have ANYTHING.  Then the next day I added half a container of Premier Protein shake (from Costco).  This shake was recommended on this site.  One small container has 30g of protein!  I am now drinking one whole container per day, plus the bowl of strained soup, and two Whey-Kool  drinks.  I'm "easing into" the full liquids portion, because of being advised to go 15 days on clears.  I really don't understand why I was told to stay on clears for so long, especially without protein.  NONE of the diets I have read even suggest that this might be a possibility that one's doctor would advise.  I know I should listen to my doctor, but so far, so good...I feel so much better since I started on the protein!

Oh - I just noticed the date on your post - you've already had your surgery!  Well, I wish you all the best, and maybe the information in my post can help someone else if you've already got your supplies.

Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

healthbound
on 6/29/11 4:27 pm - BC, Canada
Hey everyone!

I just got online.  How did all your appointments go?  All my appointments are spread out on different days too which definitely makes for some long days (although I'm not as far as Chilliwack).

I feel lucky to have some flexibility with my job otherwise I wouldn't be able to do all this.  Even with the flexibility, I find I'm falling behind with work.  It's a lot.  But whenever I walk out of an appointment, I've usually learned something that is going to contribute to a better quality of life.  So I'll do whatever it takes :)

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed.  But other times (like today after Garratt) I become very conscious and remember why I'm doing all of this.  And that I CAN do it.  I'm not sure if anyone else can relate, but I seem to slip in and out of denial sometimes.  Denial about the impact obesity has on my health and happiness.  And yet other times I am acutely aware of it.

Anyway, I feel extremely grateful to have this opportunity.  There is an entire team supporting us -- how freaking awesome is that!?

g'nite.

healthbound
on 6/29/11 4:07 pm - BC, Canada
Topic: RE: Gastroscopy & Garrett
Hi jaynak and lilymorg!

It feels good to get the tests done, yes :)  Garratt was good today.  The nutritionist is very nice and I met another patient of Dr Sampath's.  It was really nice to meet someone in person who is going through the process we are all going through.  And I joined an optional group (for $90) that will go into more detail about nutrition, portions, cooking etc.

Yes, Dr Sampath told me the results of my gastroscopy while I was at the hospital, but I only vaguely remember it.  The only reason I recalled what he told me is because he wrote it on the "Discharge Instructions" pamphlet.  It also instructed me to make a follow up appointment with him about it.

I've had several problems with my stomach over the years (started when I was about 13) and it has been hurting again lately so I'm not surprised there are issues.  I just hope they are all fixable or that none of them interfere with getting the surgery.  I'm sure I'll find out more details when I see him next.

lilymorg
on 6/29/11 12:43 pm
 Did he tell you the results from your gastroscopy while you were at the hospital?  I had mine done last week and he never said anything about it....I see him next week so maybe he will go over the results then?

I don't get into Garrett until the beginning of August...its a long wait for some reason.
lilymorg
on 6/29/11 12:40 pm
 wow that's great you have 3 in 1 day.  I have mine all spread out and its a lot of driving into the city.  Im coming from way out in Chilliwack....so it makes for a long day.  I see Dr. Zentner next Wednesday and then back out there again on Thursday to see Dr. Sampath.

prplady
on 6/29/11 9:03 am - Canada
hi wow three in one day!! Good for you .. I just got online now.. toobad toocause I was out that way today.. Visiting my Aunt in VGH.. I coulda coffeed with you tooo.. to late now, maybe next time.
jaynak
on 6/29/11 5:31 am - Canada
Quick change of plans, I now see Dr. Sampath at 9ish.
jaynak
on 6/29/11 1:08 am - Canada
Topic: Heading to Richmond again

I'm heading down to Richmond today for my 4th appointment with Dr. Sampath tomorrow morning.  Since it seems that there are quite a few from that area that are on here just wondering if anyone would like to get together for coffee????  I have 2 hours between my appointment at Garrett and my appointment with Dr. Sampath and then another 4 hours until my appointment with Dr. Zetner (but since Dr. Sampath tends to run quite far behind I expect that to be shortened quite a bit).  I'll have my cell so if anyone is interested we can exchange numbers.  Have a wonderful day, Jayna

jaynak
on 6/29/11 12:58 am - Canada
Doesn't it feel good to be getting these tests out of the way!!!!!!

I don't have an appointment at Garrett on the 29th, my next appointment there is on the 30th.

Good luck with your other tests.
Most Active