help with food choices

tjmgray
on 9/4/11 7:46 am - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
 I have spent the last two days reading labels and am getting frustrated. I can't seem to find any yogurt that is sugar free, and even some of the cream soups have sugar in them. Any hints on what kind and where to find good sugar free stuff that I can use for the 1st three stages of the post surgery plan. I don't have a date scheduled yet but I want to be prepared. I want to make some meals plans . thanks for all the help
Nicole S.
on 9/4/11 8:09 am - Vallejo, CA
I tried to be prepared, and found out my tummy post op had different ideas on what it wanted to eat.  Yogurt that has any fruit will always find sugar in them due to the fruit,   They recommended plain greek yogurt with a mixture of SF flavorings, or the light yogurts.  The cream soups I wouldnt worry so much about the sugar just be sure you will be getting protein in there somehow.  Focus on getting the protein in and then work with everything else as it comes along.
~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

MacMadame
on 9/4/11 9:03 am - Northern, CA
Yogurt is made from milk and milk has sugar in it. So you can't get sugar free yogurt. You can get yogurt with no sugar added -- aka plain yogurt. 

I like FAGE greek yogurt. It has more protein than regular yogurt.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Lorihere
on 9/4/11 1:30 pm - Sacramento, CA
 Hi Tj,

It is not easy to do this, but you are on the right track :)  It's amazing that they put sugar in almost everything and we don't even realize it..(i.e. salt)!  Here's what I have found:

* Zoi Greek Plain Nonfat Yogurt (good, tastes like sour cream)
* Plain Applesauce
* Canned veggies and fruits in water (puree easily
* Tuna in water
* Hummus
* Jello
* Cottage Cheese
* Peanut Butter (get the natural kind with nothing but peanuts and oil)
* Cheese
* Salsa

Here in CA, Trader Joe's is a great source for some of these things....they also have a sugar free Mayo, which is impossible to find anywhere else I've been :)

I hope this helps, I'm about 3 weeks out from my RNY surgery and am in the soft foods stage now myself :)

Most Active