OMG! For the record, Brok's Low carb pizza is the SCHIZNIT!!!!

Lori Black
on 9/6/09 5:33 am, edited 9/6/09 5:50 am - , IN
The pizza heavens have opened for me today.  I rarely indulge in pizza because it's torture for my guts.  I *can* do the Papa John's whole wheat crust pizza a tad better than others, and it's worth the sacrifice from time to time, and the tortilla pizzas are fine (only the whole wheat ones aren't that great).  Brok posted about this pizza he made some time ago, and I'm eating it RIGHT now.  HOLY CRAP this is tasty!  SOOO worth the small effort that went into making it.  THANK YOU BROK!  What made me wait so long, other than laziness?  This is AWESOME!

Reposting the recipe for those who want a kick-ass, guilt free meal.  I think it maybe took about 10 minutes to prep and 20 or so to cook.  YUMMO!  I'll add what I did differently in red next to the recipe suggestions.  Seriously, this is WONDERFUL!!!! 

Brok's Low Carb Pizza Recipe [Edit Post]
on June 24, 2009 6:05 am
Published

8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (I used mexican blend shredded cheese)
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (I used pepper-jack cheese here)
3 eggs 
1 teaspoon garlic powder 
1 teaspoon basil, optional 
Toppings of your choice * (I used spag sauce, sauteed mushrooms and onions and pepperoni, and more cheese, of course!

Mix the cheeses, eggs, garlic powder and basil well. Line a 16-inch pizza pan (I had to use a 9 inch cake pan, worked great, just sprayed it with Pam) with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Evenly spread the cheese mixture in the pan, almost to the edge, making it as thin as possible. Bake at 450º 15-20 minutes until golden brown. I suggest checking it after about 10 minutes. If it's getting very dark on the edges and top, turn the oven down to 400º and continue baking until brown all over and no longer pale on the bottom. Pat off any excess grease then add your toppings. Keeping the oven rack in the center position, put the pizza under the broiler until the toppings are hot and any cheese you added is melted and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.

Makes 8 servings (Unless you're me, and then this is more like one serving!  Lol!)
Can be frozen

* You may want to sauté your mushrooms, peppers and other vegetable toppings before using because the pizza will only be baked briefly with the toppings on. I also recommend pre-warming any meat toppings as well. I put all of my toppings, except the sauce and cheese, in a big skillet and heated them up together.

I was in serious shock, because I wanted pizza forever!  I've tried the low carb crust with the Parmesan cheese, while it was good it doesn't compare to this one.  I did some calculations on the carb and protein stats:

The entire Pizza is:

20g of carbs: for the crust and sauce that I used.  I used a pack of Mozzarella and half pack of cheddar for the crust.

119g of protein: Just in the crust alone!  The whole bag of cheese that I used had 7g of protein per serving.  There were 8 servings in a bag.  That's 56g of protein!  The crust also has 3 eggs which is 6 grams of protein an egg.

So Just the Crust and Sauce alone is 20g of carbs and 119g of protein!  I used Trader Joes Three Cheese Pasta Sauce.  It has the least amount of carbs I've seen per serving!  Only 4g of Net Carbs per 1/2 cup (all I used) and 3g of protein.

What I added to my pizza to make it even higher protein:

Since I don't eat pork, I found this spicy Italian sausage from Kroger.  The entire roll (which I used) is 80g of protein and 4 g of carbs.  I also put 17 turkey pepperoni on there which was another 9g and a serving of turkey bacon which was 2g of protein.  So the toppings in itself added another 106g of protein!

So The entire Pizza was 24g of Carbs and 228g of protein!

So divide that into 8 Slices that is 3g of carbs per slice.
And 28.5g of protein per slice!  I will take that any day!...lol!

And the pizza itself is extremely filling.  I ate one slice, and I ate another one about 1 1/2 later.  Seriously one slice can be your lunch and you would be just fine.  This pizza also has copious amounts of fat beyond belief!  There is so much fat, but who gives a rats ass!!!  Here is a pic of my Pizza:

Here is the link to the lady who thought about the Idea: KUDOS TO HER!
1 comment | Leave a comment.

* Gail R *
on 9/6/09 6:17 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Thanks, I've added that recipe to my list. (for a few months or more from now)

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Kathy H.
on 9/6/09 7:33 am - Kent, WA
my god. I am SO making this, tonight!!!

I missed Brok's original post. THANK you for reposting it.

It.

Sounds (and looks).

Wonderful!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Ronda S.
on 9/6/09 7:37 am - Cookeville, TN
I am going to try this very soon. Man, it looks sooo good.

Ronda S. 

HW262//CW 122
  140lbs lost !
5"6 Tall

colene
on 9/6/09 8:37 am
I made this tonight too so we would have a simple yet yummy dinner before going to the fair....it really is delish!
Beth P.
on 9/6/09 8:37 am - Dayton, OH
I told it was fabulous and it has taken you this long to get around to making it.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Lori Black
on 9/6/09 9:49 am - , IN
I know, I'm 'tupid.  What can I say?
mardigrascorndog
on 9/6/09 8:43 am - New Orleans, LA
 I tried Brok's pizza last week. It was awesome! I used pepperoni and left over taco meat as toppings.
HW 246 SW 229 CW126 GW130 

Kim E.
on 9/6/09 9:35 am - VA
yes I saw this on another board but have not tried it yet. I did make the low carb egg bake this morn and it was really really good - here is the link....

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3994587/Recipe-Low-carb-egg-bake-repost/

also ate slow roasted pork roast this eve and really feel I have my protein in w/o shakes

YAY 
Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

Lori Black
on 9/6/09 9:49 am - , IN

For the record, I'm stickin' my nose in where it doesn't belong, so feel free to ignore me, Kim.  I do NOT recommend stopping shakes.  Ever.  I did shakes the first 18 months, stopped from months 18-24 because I "could" get in my protein without the shakes, and managed to unintentionally get myself into protein malnutrition.  The doctors and I spent the winter BAFFLED about my condition.  Figured it out when my protein levels were drawn in June.  DUH!  No, I wasn't pregnant. NO I wasn't hyper-thyroid.  I was freaking protein deprived.  I NEVER got less than 100+ grams of protein a day from my food, NEVER.  I know some would disagree, but I feel that we need protein shakes for life.  The predigested protein is so much easier for our bodies to absorb.  Aren't you in the same area as Gina?  I'm sure she would be happy to tell you all about why she and I will never stop protein shakes.  Did I say never? 

Okay, enough preaching.  Just trying to teach what I learned the hard way.

Smooches,

Lori

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 307 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 773 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 257 views