Stomaphyx For A Sleeve Revision?

Batwingsman
on 8/29/10 4:24 am - Garland, TX
I was reading a post earlier by a VSGer that is going to have Stomaphyx to tighten their stretched-out sleeve back down.   I didn't know Stomaphyx (and presumably the Rose Procedure as well) could be used to do that, but he mentioned in his post that many VSGers have had it done, resulting in significant additional EWL %.    

I'm wondering if any DSers here have had the procedure done, after significant weight regain or not reaching near goal?   This alternative (vs. traditional sleeve re-sizing surgery) hasn't come up on the Revision of DS Yahoo forum ..   

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

RainyDayWoman
on 8/29/10 5:36 am - Fridley, MN
I don't get how Stomaphyx could help a person who has no stoma.  And it doesn't even work well for RNYers, so I guess I'm confused as to how it could help someone with a sleeve.
sdld2001
on 8/29/10 5:42 am - Summerville, SC
I'm confused as well. How can you have a stomaphyx if you don't have a stoma to fix? She can be re-sleeved to make her sleeve smaller. But my question is, if the VSG isn't working for her and her pouch is streched out, why doesn't she just finish having the DS? If it didn't work the 1st time, why would it work the 2nd time?
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
P. Poster
on 8/29/10 5:50 am
 Yeah, um...  Someone is either clueless as to what procedure they are really having, or their surgeon is a mad money making lying machine...  VSG and DS patients have no stoma, therefore, there is nothing to "phyx".  A re-sleeve, revision to RNY, or completion of the DS would be the only options in a VSG patient.  Well, I guess technically, they could put a band over the sleeve too, but boy, talk about restriction...
Batwingsman
on 8/29/10 1:04 pm - Garland, TX
I'm going to try to get more details on this on the VSG and Revision forums ..  I had wondered that as well (the stoma thing) ..  Perhaps the surgeon goes in and fires the plastic "staples" in from inside the sleeve to somehow pull it tighter in some respect? 

We have had a couple of DSers, btw, who have had bands put over their sleeves ..  I think one was "Amplebeauty" (anyone hear from her anymore, btw?  ) who was an RNY revision and extremely high BMI ..  Her surgeon apparently felt it was essential to her being able to get down to a normal BMI ..

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

feeder3565
on 8/29/10 10:49 am
Hi Paul. How are you? It's been a long time sense you have posted. I do not have a clue about the re-sleeve, just wanted to say Hi. Karen

Batwingsman
on 8/29/10 1:14 pm - Garland, TX
 Hi Karen . .  ltns!   

I'm hanging in there ..  My four-year surgiversary was earlier this month, and I guess I'm in a bad way when I take stock of things as they stand today.  They certainly are not like things were @ 2 years or so out.  I'm up to 305-309 lbs. or so ..  It just seems like my hunger is out of control anymore (so much for "grehlin sp. - levels") and I'm able to eat everything in sight again ..  It's horrible seeing all those little WOWs along the way slowly becoming "undone" on the way back up, like not being able to walk as far as I could, buying bigger clothes, and having a hard time bending down to put my shoes on.      At least my diabetes is still completely resolved (e.g. 4.8 A1cs) and I still have the fantastic blood lipid levels (e.g. under 100) that the DS has given me.  (At least I'll be the healthiest S.S.O. person around in a few more years, looks like ..  )

How are you doing?  Are you still maintaining goal?  I'm so proud of you, if so ..   and same for Lori Black ..  she has really managed to grab the bull by the horns early ..  I wish I had that intestinal fortitude ..   

Take care, and thanks for saying hi ..  !  

Margaret W.
on 8/29/10 2:03 pm - TX
What was Dr Stewart's recommendation when you went to see him?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1259 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 513 views