gallbladder removal with DS?

gayleann
on 9/11/10 11:09 am - Henderson, NV
I'm pre-op and searching for enlightenment.  I believe I have read several good reasons here for having a healthy gallbladder out at the time of DS surgery:

1.  Extensive weightloss can adversely affect the gallbladder, and, if so, you will need an additional operation to have it removed.
2.  After the DS, pain from the gallbladder is harder to recognize/diagnose as gallbladder pain and may be mistaken for something else.
3.  The non-DS surgeon who has to remove your gallbladder may not be familiar enough with post-DS anatomy,and so there is a greater chance for some kind of complication.

So what are the reasons for not having a healthy gallbladder out when you have the DS surgery?  Are there unpleasant side effects you would avoid if you kept it???   
Jersey Girl
on 9/11/10 11:28 am, edited 9/11/10 11:28 am
I'd be interested in seeing the responses.  I lost 200lbs from my VBG and my gallbladder went Kaput!  I saw many doctors and had many tests trying to figure out if the problem was related to my band or not.  Most of the doctors I've seen have no idea what a VBG is, so I know they'd have no idea what to make of a DS. 

My post gallbladder life is not much different than before.  I will run to the bathroom if I have too much grease and fat, but that's going to happen with DS AND it happens to my mil with her RNY. Ironically, I also still have phantom like pains from where my "gallbladder".  I'm glad it's gone.  One less thing to worry about. 
A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
mquirkygirl
on 9/11/10 11:48 am, edited 9/11/10 11:48 am - New York City, NY
I had my gallbladder out 9 years prior to my DS and I suffered with horrible diarrhea for about 2 years following.  I would have to go to the bathroom following every meal and I did not have solid stool for a very long time following my GB removal.

The DS reconfiguration in most people increases frequency of bowel movements (unless you're me, lol, I struggle with constipation.)  Removal of the GB at the same time...I could absolutely see where the two combined could yield a lot of frequent urges and diarrhea in the beginning.  Perhaps that's a reason...but in my opinion it's not reason enough.  Especially for reason #2 that you listed.  If you have severe abdominal pain and you can march into an ER and say you don't have an appendix or gallbladder, that's more time saved in diagnosing a potentially life-threatening problem.

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

KRWaters
on 9/11/10 11:48 am - Manteca, CA

Best idea ever to have the gallbladder taken out and I had my appendix taken out when i had my DS. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, at least maybe 2 less trips to the hospital for 2 surgeries I now don't need.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

jharrington8172
on 9/11/10 11:56 am - Hermitage, TN
My surgeon does not remove a healthy gallblatter during surgery.   He told me some percentages at the time but I can't remember them now.     I do know that if you have to have it removed in the future he likes to remove it since he knows how our insides are.  I still have mine and have no issues - I have lost over 300 pounds (I took actigal for the first 6 months)

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

Batwingsman
on 9/12/10 4:39 am - Garland, TX
 < hijack >

Geez John ..  I just noticed, you're 50 lbs. UNDER goal weight???     

Is everything going O.K. with you? 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/10 12:06 pm
My surgeon also will not remove a healthy gall bladder during surgery. I asked him why, and he said he thinks that retaining the gall bladder helps with bowel/gas issues. Not sure I understand his rationale, since the DS procedure essentially eliminates the function of the gall bladder.

So, I'm not clear on how or why this would be the case and never got a satisfactory explanation. 

(That said, I have not had any bowel issues - but correlation does not equal causation - probably just a coincidence.) 

I wanted him to take it out for all the reasons you stated, but he refused. It wasn't enough of a deal-breaker for me that I wanted to go elsewhere. I took Actigall for 6 months and I hope my GB hangs in there! 

BobbiesGirl Ree
on 9/12/10 3:17 am
Hey Jenna, why would the DS eliminate the function of the gallbladder? Isn't it just a storage receptacle for excess bile from the liver? Why would that stop functioning? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything but I do have a concern about taking out my gallbladder when the time comes. I just want to avoid any additional "bowel" issues. Thanks!
    Some girls are bigger than others.       ~The Smiths
   You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race.
                                                          ~Psychedelic Furs

:obscene-smokingweed: 
ksallen928
on 9/12/10 1:17 pm
 Jenna - Don't quote me on this but I think he is taking them out now.  When I went down for my consult I'm pretty sure the nurse said they would take the appendix (which is gone from me already) and the gall bladder. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/10 1:01 pm, edited 9/11/10 1:01 pm
I had my gallbladder out many years ago and had no bad side effects from the removal. Actually it solved very painful problems.

Most DS's do not have problems when it is taken out during the DS surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1259 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views