New here

Janine P.
on 3/24/11 10:53 pm - Long Island, NY
Welcome to the DS board.  Here, you'll find support and answers.  We've got well versed vets and great people to share your success with.  Best of luck to you!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Lori B.
on 3/24/11 11:13 pm - Great Mills, MD
Welcome Rors!  I hope you find all the information and support you need here.  These people are wonderful!

teachmid
on 3/24/11 11:24 pm - OKC, OK
Welcome! All these feelings are normal.

Gail
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Julie R.
on 3/24/11 11:29 pm - Ludington, MI
 Hi Rors,
It seems as if you are off to an excellent start, as you already have several crucial resources in place:    1)   You seem to be intelligent and articulate.  Without sounding like a "DS Snob," you really do need to be.  A DS'er has to know how to describe their procedure to both lay and medical people, and to advocate for oneself in light of this.     For example, you go to a doctor who freaks out because you take 50,000 iu's a day of dry D, and he/she tells you that you are going to DIE from this much D.   You need to be able to tell them why you won't die.    Another example, you present to the ER with abdominal pain and the ER does a CT and tells you that you are fine, just full of poop,  and sends you home.   You need to be able to know enough about your DS to tell them that someone with more experience than them needs to read that CT, and to contact your surgeon, because yes you CAN have a small bowel obstruction and still be able to poop and fart.   You also need to be able to speak up for yourself in regard to vitamin supplementation, because most DS practices are still behing the learning curve on how much you actually need.   2)  You have the support of your PCP in a most exceptional way.   That's so cool.     3)  You have the support of family and friends - it makes it easier when you have people in your life wanting to see you succeed.

Please read, read, read this board.   Ask questions - we love to answer them!  We're all rooting for you here.    I am almost five years out and not a day goes by in my wonderful, active, busy life that I don't give thanks for this gift of the DS.   I just cannot believe how good I feel.   Sometimes I have to stop and actively think back five years and force myself to remember exactly how miserable I was, because now my reality is thin and active.  It can be mind blowing for sure!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

kathy215
on 3/24/11 11:43 pm
Welcome Rors !!!!
jkahler30
on 3/24/11 11:52 pm
i too am also new and had my DS surgery 11-22-10 and so far have gone from 401 to 298, 103lb lost.  I am doing great now, but suffered from blood clots to legs and lungs in January of this year.  Then had hematoma in my leg and still recovering from that.  Hopefully returning to work April 4.
larra
on 3/25/11 1:31 am - bay area, CA
Welcome!
     The mixed emotions pre-op are very normal. This is a difficult decision for most of us. I can only tell you that my surgery was 5 years ago and even though I didn't have the easiest recovery, I knew that it was the right decision and I have never had a moment of regret.

Larra
jeff N.
on 3/25/11 2:14 am - Hagerstown, MD
 I just want to welcome you to the board.  It seems like you are well on your way, with a good support system behind you.  I can guarentee, you will have many more excited, nervous and anxious moments throughout this journey, as well as some of the "what the hell did I do to myself" thoughts, at least in the beginning.  But in the end, it is well worth it.  There is a lot of great information here from a lot of people that are willing to help, especially if you are willing to receive it. Some of it might be pretty blunt at times, but it is usually the truth.  Best of luck on the rest of your journey.

Jeff
Join us on the July,2012 DS Cruise II, INTERESTED,Contact me.
Link to our FB Cruise page:  
www.facebook.com/home.php
495 HW/ 238 CW/ 225 or wherever GW 

scoob
on 3/25/11 2:58 am - Somerset, KY
Welcome, Rors!! You're in for the ride of your life. I'm only 6 months post op and I am down 98lbs! How cool is that??!! You're gonna do great! hugs

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Fade2Pink
on 3/25/11 2:59 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Adding my hello and welcome!  Sounds like you have some great support, that is awesome!  Hope to hear more from you, and about you.  Best wishes.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views