New here

Rors
on 3/24/11 4:48 pm, edited 3/25/11 2:23 am - Johnson City, TN

Sorry if this turns into a long rambling post that is hard to follow, it is late and I guess I want to "talk" to someone and it is to late to wake someone up. I have talked about it to friends and family before but now I guess it seems real, I am there finally, all hoops jumped though.

Tomorrow I fax the last letter of clearance (cardologist) to Dr. Boyce and make my appointment to go in for the consult where we set  dates for pre-op labs,a  nutrtion class and the  surgery.  I also will be starting my 4 week pre-surgery protein diet to shrink the liver. I am a bit nervous but excited, I am getting a ton of support, my  family is behind me especially my sister, she had a Sleeve done by Dr. Boyce's partner on 12/28/10 and is loving it. Even my primary care doctor and his staff seems to be really behind me, in fact one of the PA's told me that if was okay with Dr. Boyce he would like to come and observe the surgery and lend support (4 hour round trip drive for him).

What is funny is I am having trouble sleeping tonight thinking about what is ahead and all I am doing tomorrow is faxing a letter.  This is an important step and I am hoping it leads me down a road that I can finally go back to livng my life without all the medical issues that have been cropping up more frequently and wake up in the morining feeling good. I wake up feeling miserable everyday and I guess I have gotten used to it but damn I am tired of it.
As you can see by my pix  I am a big ole boy (530) and I know it isn't going to happen overnight but just the idea that IT is going to finally start to happen has me feeling all kinds of strange things right now.

Well, that I guess is my intro to the board. Sorry for the disjointed post but I am feeling a bit disjointed myself at the moment.

Lynne
on 3/24/11 5:04 pm - Macon, GA
First off... Welcome to the boards  

It is normal to feel this way.  Call it nerves or whatever, you are embarking on a new life and that begins with that letter...lol.  Cut yourself a break, you have come to the right place for help... answers... support or just an ear to hear.

The boards are pretty quiet this time of night, hope you get some more responses...lol.  I am on duty so I have to be awake.

Going now to brush off a spot on the losers bench for you.

Lynne
Highest 330,    Surgery 297,     Goal 140.     Current 130
First Dr visit - 330 -
BMI 58.4,    Surgery - 297  BMI 52.6
01/24/2011 - 196 BMI 34.7 (ONEderland YEAH!!!),                 ...GeorgiaPink
08/10/2011 Reached GOAL Baby! 140 BMI 24.0                           is my Angel.
08/24/2011
- 139 BMI 23.8 One Year Anniversary 

k9ophile
on 3/24/11 6:33 pm
I've heard some great things about Dr. Boyce so it looks like you're off to a great start.  Things are a little disjointed as a pre-op for a lot of people; our minds are going a million miles a minute.  Now my mind has slowed down and my body is speeding up after losing 90% of my excess weight. This new found mobility feels strange after years of pain and I love it!  It will happen for you as well.  Here's hoping for a successful surgery and smoothe recovery.  You've got a big plus with your PCP's backing and a highly regarded surgeon.  Come and play on the TN board, too.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

MajorMom
on 3/24/11 7:24 pm - VA
Welcome aboard!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

manditude
on 3/24/11 7:42 pm
Sounds like you have a great support system around you, that is so fantastic. I know what you mean about faxing the letter. It makes it more real and less of an abstract concept, and that can be sort of surreal. Good luck with Dr. Boyce, and keep us posted. =)

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015

shannn
on 3/24/11 8:55 pm - Knoxville , TN
Welcome!

As you can see, Dr. Boyce was my doctor. I have no complaints. My surgery went well and I had no major complications. I've lost 126 pounds since July so things seem to be going okay! ;) The nuts in the practice don't know too much about vitamins and diet so get that information from here and you'll be okay!

I hope things go just as smoothly for you.
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 9:04 pm - Canandaigua, NY
Welcome Stephen! 

Yes, things are usually pretty quiet this time of the night. I work overnights and can spend some time online, so here I am!

It's absolutely normal to be freaking out at this point!  You sound a lot like how I was pre-surgery. I had a lot of medical issues, even more mobility issues (I used a walker for two years), had chronic pain and was totally depressed. Every day was a chore, and I had nothing to look forward to. I had isolated myself, didn't have any local support, and pretty much just went to work, came home, watched TV and cried.  Horrible existence.

By some freak cir****tances, I found out about the DS, and it suddenly clicked that it was what I had to do. I went through all the nutrition and psych hoops, and finally got a surgery date. I was so excited - for about a minute - and then I freaked out! I almost backed out of the surgery several times, went into a total tailspin of carb binging and vitamin and lab obsession! But about a week before surgery I calmed down and everything went fine.  And now I'm so thrilled with my new life - I've ditched the walker, most of the health issues, and the depression. I have a whole new lease on life - and you will too!  Hang in there ~ 

Laura
Fran-I Am
on 3/24/11 9:05 pm
Welcome Rors! I am preop also. I see my surgeon next week. It is an exciting time, isn't it!??! I have been nervous, scared, excited and down right hopeful. I have even had discomfort in my stomach when I thought of having WLS. I am confident this is the surgery that is for me. I am confident in my surgeon's experience and capabilities. I am ready! I have my bullet and some protein drink. I know I will use Vitalady. I know this is for life and accept the responsibilities that come with my surgery choice. I know I will make sure I will be great with my DS. I will be compliant and I will lose weight and be healthy. And I am sure you will too!

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
Lisey
on 3/24/11 9:48 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Welcome!!!  This board is a GREAT resource to help you along every step of the way.  You are taking those first tangible steps toward actually implementing the physical things you need to do for surgery.  If that didn't cause some kind of emotional reaction, I would be surprised.  We've all been there/ done that.  So many emotions bundled into one . . . sounds normal to me!

Have you been reading on the DS board as a lurker?  It's full of really great info.  In terms of the nutritional info, I don't think anyone or any program, surpasses it.  I love it for the support & long-term experience.

Welcome to the board & congratulations!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

lk1970
on 3/24/11 10:51 pm
Welcome!

Lisa

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 699 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1014 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views