Imodium?

rargirl
on 4/1/11 1:06 am
Does anyone use Imodium for Diarhea? I am fairly new to my DS and find that I have diarhea off and on almost every day.

It is not a huge problem for me except for when it interrupts my sleeping by getting me up to use the restroom up to 5 times a night.

Once I took an Imodium and slept through the night... and I also didn't have a bowel movement until the following evening which was a little worrysome.

Is there any strong reason why a person with a DS should not use Immodium?

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/11 1:14 am - Lancaster, OH
Yeah, I don't like the Imodium because when it finally works, it works too well.
Have you been introduced to the miracle that is (are) Chia seeds?
I really wouldn't have the same quality of life without them.  They keep me on a regular pooping schedule, and the consistency is MUCH better with them in my life.
(I just love that it's okay to talk about poop here.)
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/1/11 1:19 am, edited 4/1/11 1:26 am - Tuvalu

Two points of view, both from me and both that there is no problem using immodium...

1--take immodium and make it stop;
2--don't rely on the immodium, because what needs to get out needs to get out.

Early out, I used a bunch of those puppies...and rx lomotil, as well.  However, early out, I still hadn't learned that some of what I was using and I thought would make me healthy was actually giving me the runs...milk products...bread products...and (in my case) protein shakes.

So you might try to discover a cause for some of your problem and keep in mind that what you react to can change over time.
rargirl
on 4/1/11 5:34 am
Thank you both. I will be looking into the Chia seeds so I have an alternative if I need it. If this diarrhea continues during the night I think the first thing I will do is an elimination diet. If I do decide to take Immodium again, I think I will just take a 1/2. It's powerful stuff.
Diane Davis
on 4/1/11 3:55 pm
Good luck Jane, hope you find some relief and get some sleep, this has to be hard on you!

I don't remember, do you still have your TPN?
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
rargirl
on 4/4/11 1:49 am
I am done with the TPN (thank goodness!!!!). I am now sipping all day and taking little bites of food a couple of times a day. My bathroom problems seem to be improving a bit... yay!

I go back to work this Thursday.
Elizabeth N.
on 4/4/11 5:35 am - Burlington County, NJ
Glad to hear you're coming along! You might consider adding just a tiny bit of fiber, something like Benefiber, to see if that helps calm things down, or firm them up, or something. I suspect you might still be in a the liquids in-liquids out issue, since it sounds like you are taking in next to nothing solid. Go SLOWLY, like a quarter of a dose the first time, and then WAIT to see what happens. I don't know how your transit time is (from mouth to toilet), but mine is generally upwards of 24 hours. So don't get in a hurry to assume something didn't work and load up on more.

I'd imagine you'd also have a particularly sensitive baby gut given all your icky issues thus far :-/. Think, oh I dunno, colicky baby? Bleh.

Did this start up at some point when you added something new to your intake, or has it been pretty consistent all along? That might give some insight about what to try next to make things more livable. Ellen G. has had a lot of trouble. You might ask her what's working for her.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 322 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views