Oatmeal?

Cylent1
on 4/19/11 11:39 pm
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone introduced Oatmeal into their daily eating? I tried it earlier before I did my cardio and it gave me a lot more energy in my workout.

I'm thinking of adding a bowl of oatmeal before lifting/cardio...would anyone recommend this? Im currently 4 months out

Thanks

Renee2007
on 4/20/11 12:09 am - Central, FL
 For me, it would depend on if the amount of carbs slowed my weight loss down. I would not have eaten oatmeal in my losing phase but that's just me. I tried to optimize my window with pretty much low carb. If you can tolerate it and it doesn't interfere with your weight loss then eat it. Another option might be a good protein bar before working out. You could probably get away with consuming a lot less carbs that way.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Julie R.
on 4/20/11 12:11 am - Ludington, MI

Few things tear me apart the way a bowl of oatmeal does, even as far out as I am.    My stomach bloats up like I'm six months pregnant.   I guess if your body can tolerate the oats and not have it hinder your weight loss, but I'm with Renee.    You can get your energy from a protein bar or even a cup of coffee.

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 12:11 am
I can't tolerate oatmeal at all.  It sends me to the bathroom for HOURS after I eat it. 
DarcyMad
on 4/20/11 12:20 am - Cedar Park, TX
I'm losing about a pound every other day right now.  I DO eat oatmeal now and then but it does give me the farts!  LOL  I watch carbs somewhat.  I have granola and oatmeal now and then which are high carb items but I do stay away from white flour, candy, etc.  So I guess they are still more on the complex side but it definitely does not affect my weight loss at this point.

Especially if you are going to eat something like that before a workout, as long as it doesn't give you gas I'd say do it.  We need that extra energy boost when we work out otherwise you crash and burn right in the middle! 

I've been hitting the gym on the weekends and I got a Shake Weight to help my arms...ugh!  I LOVE that thing - its a great workout tool!  You do it for like 6 minutes and they even include a video.  I don't like the video, I just do my own thing but it really seems to help!  I have more definition in my arms for sure.

Another suggestion...after your workout, do a protein shake.  Helps in recovery!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

levittown_loser
on 4/20/11 12:41 am - Levittown, PA
For any WLS patient ... or normie for that matter ---> expending energy requires carbs.    There are 2 things one must monitor more diligently as a WLS patient when working out.  

1. Your glycogen stores / levels

2.  Your Electrolye levels  

Do you research in this area .... then find what works for your system.   For me ... most carbs have no ill effect on me ... both GI or Weight wise.   I can do complex for longer storage and full on sugar things for an immediate lift.   I never experienced a gain from this while training.  

As a man ... you will most likely still experience weight loss consuming many carbs ... if you are also working out. 

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Nopenname
on 4/20/11 2:18 am - Tacoma, WA
 "As a man ... you will most likely still experience weight loss consuming many carbs ... if you are also working out. "

DAMN YOU MEN *fist shakes* 

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Kayla B.
on 4/20/11 1:43 am - Austin, TX
I ate oatmeal daily when I was working out and lifting.  My one tip would be to not use the instant packets but learn to make it with the 3-5 minute oatmeal and make it yourself.  Less sugar and more of the complex carb that way.  You really can get a nice sized bowl of oatmeal without consuming very many carbs.  I sweeten with stevia and add cinnamon and butter.

If you can tolerate the taste, it's even better to add protein powder to it.  I think that ruins my whole bowl of oatmeal, but I wish I liked the taste.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
curvalicious1
on 4/20/11 3:26 am
Yikes. i had oatmeal and it gave me the shakes. it was instant oatmeal. but i haven;t touched it since. funny i can have a twix bar and have no problem...hum
ivazoo
on 4/20/11 12:52 pm - Pen Argyl, PA
I have not been able to tolerate any oatmeal since my DS 8 months ago. I've tried it 3 times and all 3 times I bloated severely, causing pain and doubling me over. It laid so heavy in my stomach it felt like it would explode. I am not willing to try it a fourth time. 

Oatmeal and pizza are 2 of only 3 foods that do not agree with me at all. Both cause the heavy, bloated pain for hours. Cranberry sauce causes a dumping like feeling. I guess it is too sweet. I get cramping, a flushed sensation and then end up with the runs.
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a dog licking your face." 

Ben Williams 

Sue

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 18 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1092 views
calcium/protein